• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

All around fishing line

Hey P3, Welcome to FishingMinnesota (FM).

Your question is a hard one to answer. I am going to assume that by the question that you are using the same rod and reel for every kind of fishing that you do. Example jigging, trolling, live bait rigging,...

If that's true, then it still matters what kind of reel that you are using, what type of action your rod is, how you like to keep your drag setting. Some keep it loose and some not so loose. I think you get the picture. Too many variables to make a hard call. All that be said, if I had to make a call I'd go with 8lb Trilene XL.

PoleBender

We like to use Berkley's Premium Strength (it used to be called tournement strength). Gold in color which is supposed to almost vanish in the water, it is supposed to be durable like XT but yet low memory like XL so it's castable. We use it in varied strengths depending on what the application is. Panfish 4lb, Walleye 8lb, Pike 14 lb. We have no complaints about it. It's an all around good line. Good luck!

-----------

Fishn'Lady

I've had nothing but trouble with berkley line.....kinks.....breaks....splits....maybe i had some bad line but 2 years in a row was too much to take especially when you lose fish.....I switched to 8lb stren and never looked back....I wouldn't fish with berkley line if they paid me to use it....that was back in the 1970's....I don't care how much they say they've improved it.....I still wouldn't use it.... smile.gif

I know a few people who like to use Maxima line. Seem to like it allot because they didnt switch to a different line like they have normally done in the past every year. I believe it was the Chameleon model. Seems to be strong.

Myself, I dont use monofilament all that regularly. I like powerpro. Its a good line for no matter what type of guides you have on your rod. This line will not wear them out.

The new spiderwire stealth line that has came out is really just a copy of powerpro. Same technology, just different times they came out.

For what your suggesting, and if you wanted to use a braid. I believe that 10/2 powerpro could handle all the applications you have stated.

Currently I've been using Berkley Iron Silk and I like it. It is very smooth and tough as nails. But of course I only used it the last part of the summer and fall.

I do more rigging than jigging and I've used 8 or 10 lb. Trilene XL for years. In the past 4-5 years I've noticed that I'm having more breakage at the swivel from dragging the line on the bottom, is anyone having the same problem? I find myself cutting about 1-2' of line of and re-tieing every 1/2 hour so I don't lose any larger fish that bite. I'd like to hear what other riggers use that doesn't present the same problem.

Ole

To add more to the original post, this would be used in a spinning reel with a 6'6" med fast action rod. Once again, this would be a generic setup. Would it be best to stick with mono?

P3
If you are using a medium weight fast action rod, I would stick something like 8# or better. I think 6 # or less would break too easily with a rod like that.

I personally like Trilene XL unless the areas that I am gonna fish will tend to be rocky or a lot of other stuff in the water that will be abrasive. If that is the case XT would fit the bill better in my opinion.

Opinions differ, there are a lot of good lines on the market, so picking can the best one can be difficult.

[This message has been edited by upnorth (edited 03-18-2003).]

Berkley makes a good line as well does Stren. Most lines are decent. I've used braided in the past too but I prefer mono much more when jigging and using live bait. I use 6 pound Stren Sensor and 8 pound Berkley. Both lines are basically priced the same. Just depends on what suits you.

Good Fishin, Matt.

MJ5 and Fishing Minnesota...
http://frida.blc.edu/~mjohnson/mj5.html

I used P-line Xtra strong this past weekend and liked it. Gotta be careful with the knots, though. They burn easy if I don't handle the knot right.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

I see nobody has mentioned this line but I really like Stren Magnathin. I like the smaller diameter and you can up the pound test (if you need to) and still be very versatile if you need to be. Anybody else like this?

I have had nothing but problems with trilene so i have started using Stren, but my favorite line to use is Rapala Finesse in 6lb.

------------------
"Contrary to what most people think, the smartest person in the world is not a scientist, a teacher, or even a writer, the smartest person in the world is the guy who figured out a way to get paid to go fishing."

The superlines are good if you are trolling Raps or just casting cranks. Otherwise I'm a fan of 6lb Iron Silk. Or 8lb XL is an easy line to fish.

[This message has been edited by jpz (edited 03-18-2003).]

I have only put ironsilk on my son's spinning reel so far, so my exposure is limited. It handles really well - nice knots and forgives a burn. I like it in the moss green 'cause I can see it easily in 6lb against a light b-ground. Very low memory, too. He had it pretty loose on the spool a few times and it still didn't snarl on him. Looks like good stuff.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

It's tough as Nails +
It can roll off the Spool if you overspool it - (Although which line doesn't?)
Quite low stretch for a "mono" +
Nice green color +......okay I'm grasping here.

That's all I can think of for now.

Am I the only one who likes fireline? I used it last year and it was very nice. Biggest problem was that it WOULDN'T break. I use 6lb fireline and then tie a snap swivel, and then a mono leader (6lb berk)to my jig. I'm suprised how many of you use 8lb. I love the touch and feel of the fireline, especially over deeper water. It was nice to have all my jigs pre-tied to the mono, so when i get hung up (which is about every 10 minutes on Lake Vermillion) all I do is bust my line, and all i lose is the mono and the jig; the line breaks just below the swivel.

I use 7 ft rods for both jigs and rigs and never had problems with my line getting weak at the swivel nor have i ever lost any fish due to line breakage or knot slippage....8 lb stren is the best I think.....I don't use fireline for the fact you can't break it and if you're fishing alot of structure ....you'd waste more time cutting and re-tieing instead of fishing!!... smile.gif