• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Teresa, I'm sure I've met your folks. My cabin is on Knuteson, a small lake just east of Chetac. I'm just about to head up now. Finished work early today, so why not? If you ever want to tag along in the boat your more than welcome. It's usually just my son and I, so plenty of room. Scott knows how to get ahold of me.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't get out nearly enough this weekend. Everytime I did it seemed a young'in wanted to come along. Not one to dampen the spirits of a kid, I obliged. My youngest and I found the crappies still tight to shore and still spawning. We caught about 10 or so in probably half an hour and kept 5. The news I got from the Edgewater store was that the bluegill males were in making nests, could have fooled me. I think I saw 2 beds this weekend. Perhaps they are there, just not in my usual spots.

Trying to make plans to get back up there this Sunday.

How did everybody else do?

I went out on Friday only. It was quite sparatic for me. Found a giant bass bed which was cool to watch him on top of it though! There were some beds but not as many as I've seen before. Found more action on the weed edges versus near shore. A couple crappies and a bunch of small bluegills with a few monsters mixed in, but didn't keep anything.

Oh and Craig... that's your wife that's working at Woodland's, right? I didn't get a chance to meet you this weekend but soon I'm sure, as I know we've both talked to Scotty about one another lol!

Yea, my wife is helping Sue out on weekends this summer.

I did really well on the fishing. Found nice gills and crappies all over the place. Crappies were off the beds now but still shallow. Blue gills were definately on the beds and I found beds all over the place. They did bite much better either early or late. Our best fishing was around 5 to 6 pm or between 6 and 7 am. I did stay out most of the day a couple of days and caught fish all day but you did have to work a lot harder for them.

I am traveling to Chetac for an annual fishing trip with my dad and a few buddies. I have never been up that way before and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some advice. The older guys just like to catch something! I hope to catch some blue-gill, crappie, and maybe a few smallies. How are the large mouth? We will be there the week of June 20th to the 26th. Anything would be appreciated. Each year we go to a new place and they expect to catch them without doing any research! Needless to say it is a little frustrating. We are staying at Janetski's. From what I can see on the map, the north half of the lake seems much more shallow than the southern half. How deep is it, and will the fish already be deep by then? Is there a lot of cover? How about about burried structures?

I saw the other posts, but I am locked in to late June. How hard will they be to catch?

Plenty of bass and smaller northerns in there to keep you busy. I'm sure the crappies are all done spawning but maybe the bluegills are still on their beds (I haven't been down that way for a month so I can't say for sure.) I've caught some of my bigger walleyes there late at night, like say 10:00 PM to 4:00 AM so you might want to give that a try.

Hopefully Craig, c_lou, or FishinChic will stop by for some better info. Good luck out there!!!

It's been a few weeks since I have gotten up to the cabin. The last time I was up however, the weeds were already taller and thicker than I have ever seen. Troll them edges for northerns. There are lots of good overhanging trees on all the shorelines to target the LMB. THere are some ok sizes.

Hope that helps at least a little bit. 4th of July is the next time we will get up to the cabin.

June stinks this year, I am way to busy.

Good Fishing.

The maps that I've seen for Chetac are good only for a basic reference. There is a lot of stuff that insn't shown on them that you will find if you spend much time out there. Late June you should be able to find crappies suspended in schools. I seem to have the best luck finding them in 18' of water. Bluegills will be all over in the weeds and weeds are everywhere in this lake from about 12' deep and shallower. Walleyes are a little tougher and take some patience. Try outside weed edges from 12 to 15', or you can drift the flats north of the islands. It's not Mille Lacs or Upper Red though.

I really appreciate the help! My dad, his best friend, and grandpa thank you as well! There will only be 5 of us this year, but I can't wait to get there! I just hope that I can convince them that we may have to fish a little deeper! Normally, they expect the fish to come to them instead of us looking for them. I am printing your responses to back up what I assumed. I am also assuming that worms and minnows work on the crappie and blues, but you know what happens when you [PoorWordUsage]-u-me! We really just go to enjoy each other's company and get away from the stresses. Hope to get enough for one night of eating!

Is a guide needed or can I figure it out during the week? Not sure how big the lake is.

Thanks again!

BK

I also have not been up there since Memorial Day weekend, and then the weeds were horrendous. But Chetac is also known for heavy weed growth early and then clearing out. There is a good walleye spot on what I believe is the northeast side of the lake. Otherwise, Chetac typically is not hard to fish if you just want some nice bluegill action. It appears that a favorite bait of some anglers up there is the wax worm, so maybe pick some of those up, too. If you have any questions when you get up there, everyone at Seasonal Power Toys are very helpful, and they have everything you'll need anyways.

I just wanted to thank you all for the information that you shared. We had an awesome week. We went the last week in June and the crappies had their feed bags on! The first few days we went to the north end where it seems like everyone went and caught them on minnows. It was about 12 ft deep, but the weeds made it much more shallow. Caught them in 6-8 feet. One day the other boat had all the minnows and my dad and I caught them on chartreuse jig heads with the same color twister tails. They were so aggressive we didn't need the minnows. Had some storms move through mid-week and they disappeared. Didn't take long before we found more in a back cove not far from the north end on the east side of the lake. We also found a few perch and caught a couple northern. Blues were a little harder to come by, but we did catch a few. The weeds were pretty bad, but we just stayed above them and they didn't bother us too much. Did try for bass, but didn't catch one and I tried pretty hard. There were 6 of us and no one caught one. None of us minded because we caught so many crappie! Didn't get the chance to go to the south of the lake, but I will hopefully venture down there next year when we return. I would post some pictures, but I don't know how.

Thanks again!

bk

Glad you had a good trip. It can be a very good panfish lake. I've never been much of a bass fisherman, so I never have targeted them on Chetac. Have caught a few largemouth and smallmouth by accident though so I know there are some. I haven't been up for a few weeks myself. Too busy working so I guess that's a good thing. Should make it up this weekend though, I hope they're still biting.

Went up to Chetac this past weekend, (7-24) to troll for walleye and northern. Turns out trolling works better when your trolling motor batteries have been charged.

So I ended up panfishin instead. Crappie/Gills are out a little deeper than before as the water is warm now... hittin 75-80 deg at the surface.

Batteries are all charged up for this weekend, I'll be up trolling for walleye and northern. For real this time. Will get some panfhishin in too though... can't resist those Big Chetac gills. there are some monsters in there!

I'll report back with some kind of update next week... good fishin!

-Slabs

Thanks laugh Love the slabs. I have a feeling that love isn't reciprocated, but hey, they make my acquaintance many times a weekend, so there's obviously some kind of connection :P

Went out saturday night for a little bit, was out for an hour before the storms were too close for comfort. Not a single bite, but managed to get my bearings down on the lake in the dark, which was the primary objective anyway.

Managed one decent mornin 'eye this weekend, 23". Caught her in 10 fow just off a weedy point, trollin with a lindy rig. Snaggged a few gills and crappie as well, one gill was 10.5"... pretty sure I've seen smaller hanging on walls at bait shops smile

Won't be up at Chetac again until the 21... takin a break for phish tour laugh

Good fishin

~Slabs

My FIL tells me there are some cribs located out from the TP resort. Does anybody have the coordinates they could PM me or email me? I went out Sunday morning with the kids trying to find them, but couldn't find them.

I took the kids out fishing Saturday after Pizza at Woodland's, and we only caught a few little ones. It was enough to keep them interested, but I would have liked to get into some size.

Sunday was a whole different day. Windy, Cloudy, and Cold. It sure was a welcomed relief from the heat but man, sweatshirt weather already.

Have been going up to Chetac around Memorial Day for may years. Alway go with a the guys and fish walleye and panfish. Finally taking my wife for a week at the end of the month. Hope to see her catch some nice bass and/or northerns. Does anyone wish to share a few hints on where to search and what is the hot bait in late summer? Anything will be appreciated. Staying at North Star & tipping a few at the Chit Chat. We want to check out the food a Woodland also.

From what I have been hearing the Northern and Walleye bite is pretty slow. Trolling weed lines for the snakes is always good. The part of the lake you are staying offers some good snake fishing. Our cabin is just down the lane from the resort you are going to. The panfish are still biting pretty good in about 6' of water. Next time we are going up is Labor Day. Hope the water has cooled down a little bit, last weekend I had 77.6 on the finder.

For food, we try to get over to Lincolnwood at least once per trip. They have some great food.

Last weekend the lake was pretty green. The weeds are still there, but with the stained water, you will need a locator to see them. We didn't do any fishing last weekend.

Good Luck.

I was up last weekend as well... lake was as green as it's been all summer. Weeds are there for sure, but so are the fish smile

Northern are there along the edges as mentioned.

I've had luck trolling a lindy rig with leech for walleye... but there aren't any leeches left anywhere that I am aware of... I picked up some plastic leeches for this weekend. Not sure if they'll work or not.

Crappie/Bluegill bite is good as usual. I've had luck off my dock in 6-8 fow, as well as trollin minnow raps in 10-15 feet.

I'll be doing a lot more fishing this weekend than usual, weddings and college reunion in sep so gotta get as much in as i can smile

Good Luck!

~slabs

Had a few hrs this weekend to wet a line up here... a lot to get ready up at the cabin.

Anyway... all I can really provide is this:

Surface Temp was between 56-59 deg

Still Green

Just as weedy as it was a month ago

I'm hopin to get up there again this next weekend for some actual fishing, not just droppin a line when i can.

Has anyone had any luck with 'eyes on this lake this season? Everyone I've talked to has been able to snag one or two, but nothing too notable. I'm in the same boat so to speak.

Water temps are high right now... 78-81 on the surface.

I found some largemouth bass last week on the outside weed edges in about 8-12 fow, caught them on jointed shad raps and other similar crankbaits (I don't really target LM's so I wasn't really looking for them).

Most of the sizable panfish I've located have been on the outside edges in 10-14 fow, more often than not on the steeper breaks. There have been days where I've seen them hugging the bottom on shallow breaks, but more often than not...steeper is better. crappie bite has been best right around sunset and after.

Water was a bit warm for me to actually target pike... but I did catch a few the past two weekends, not all that big but they were all around the schools of panfish.

I busted out the fly rod for the first time ever saturday, just to mess around on the dock between the 'chores.' Holy cow is that a blast... although all the sunnies I caught were under 6", the crappies I managed to land on the fly were 7-9" All caught in 4 fow, just above the weeds on a small floating black fly.

Where will you be stayin on the lake?

Thanks for the report Slabs-

We are staying at a private cabin on the west side of the lake...off of Cty Rd F. We won't have a boat, (we will have a couple of canoes, though) So we will need to stay pretty close to home...which seems to be pretty much right in th middle of the lake- west side.

The group that I will be up there with doesn't really fish, so best case scenario, I take my wife out on a canoe for a few minutes to target some sunnies and crappies, so we can feed the rest of the vultures.

I've heard nothing but good things about this lake and am pretty excited July 28-31