• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly just a small treble hook and a minnow and some on a ratso and minnow. We didn't have any waxies or worms so I couldn't tell you if those would work or not. We went to a different lake the next day and it was and fifty/fifty minnows to waxies.

Hey Vman,

Myself and a buddy are planning on hitting Chetac for the opener. Any techniques stand out on this body of water?

We plan on pulling raps shallow early and late, and maybe bouncing a jig during the day.

I hear it can take awhile to get on Chetac over opener, get out early or late lol.

If you're going to do any walleye fishing this opener weekend, look for the property that has a propane tank that looks like a bobber, and fish about 50 yards out....usually is a pretty good spot.

I'd like to know how everyone does this weekend on opener, so any updates next week would be appreciated, as I won't be getting up there this weekend!

We fished on Red Cedar in the morning for opener and caught a 15 1/2" & 16 1/2" Walleye), before getting blown off the lake. Spent the afternoon on Big Chetac and got into some nice crappie in the sheltered bays. Temp of water was 57 degrees. We're heading back up next weekend.

Just got word from my friend and fishing guide up on Chetac that the crappies are on the beds right NOW! Fishing should be stellar this weekend assuming the weather stays wonderful. Couple more weeks for the gills!

How are the weeds on Birch? I wanted to try the pier on little B but once the weeds are in it sucks! I'll probably get out in my little inflatable on Red Cedar this weekend, dunno if I'll get out on Chetac or not. Let me know how your fishing is!

Fishing was excellent on Friday. It was a bit breezy but that didn't seem to bother the fish. There were 3 of us in the boat and we caught probably 100 or so Crappies and Male Bluegills. The Bluegills were making the beds in about 5.5 feet of water, and they were aggressive. It didn't matter what we threw out there: minnows, crawlers, plastics, they bit on everything. The crappies we found up on shore, under docks and under overhanging trees. We kept 30 fish and had a nice supper.

This weekend should be excellent for the bluegills, just remember to leave some in the lake.

Good Fishing.

I went out on Saturday after the wind and rains we got. Couldn't find much in the way of crappies at that time, probably went deep 'cause of that, but the bluegills were very active near shore. Ended up keeping 19 gills and 2 crappies. Caught about 6 bass but the largest was 13" so not long enough to keep. Where did you see beds for gills? They were in shore, but weren't making beds yet at the few places we went on Chetac. Best place all day was just in front on where the place burnt down on Halloween. With the temps this week, the nice extended weekend should be FANTASTIC!!!

We were on the North end of the lake on the east shore. We were anchored in about 5 feet of water. Crappies to the shore side, gills to the lake side. So I would guess the gills to be in about 5-6' maybe less, of water.

The weekend should be excellent, can't wait. If you see a fellow in a green alumacraft with 2 little girls on the north end, give me a wave.

You got it!! Do you ever go out to dinner or anything at Woodland's? If so and you know Scotty or Luggie, that's who I'll be out with if I'm on Chetac! I know for sure Friday I'll be hittin' up the ATV trails, but might go out on the lake first! Good luck this weekend and keep in touch! smile

FishinChic1, I'll be at my cabin on Wed. thru the weekend. Scotty and Lug are good friends of mine. Maybe I have even met you at Woodlands. It's kind of my second home when I'm up there. Heck, I'm even from Andover. Small world.

I know it can vary from year to year due to weather, but could you veterans give me an idea of what fishing can be like there in mid-late June? I was thinking of making a trip over there next summer in June, but maybe I should move that up to May instead.

The fishing can still be very good in mid June. Obviously depends on the weather but I usually don't have much trouble finding crappies and gills at that time of year. Walleyes can be tough to find in Chetac and I seldom target them. Red Cedar is better for walleye fishing, but even there it can be tough to find fish that you can keep. Seems most everything is in the protected slot. Chetac is better known for nice bluegills and ok size crappies. If you move your trip up, I would still hold off till late May on a typical year.

I would agree with CraigM. If you want Walleyes, I would suggest Long Lake over Red Cedar. If you want nice size gills and numbers of Crappies, then Chetac is where you want to be. Mid June is still good for Crappies, you might have to hunt for them, but once you find them, there will be pretty decent numbers.

If you want to troll for the Weed Gators, then Chetac is pretty good as well.

I'm with c_lou on the walleyes. Red Cedar has so many currents that the walleyes are quite sparatic. Actually, all the times I've been out for walleyes, Chetac has been better than Red Cedar!! Red Cedar is good if you want to go out for smallies, though! I'd say your best bet all around is late may/early june, in 4-5 feet of water.

Craig - I'm sure I've met you or at least seen you! I am actually the one who did the menu layout at Woodland's for Scott and Sue. Instead of getting paid to do it, I asked for a big fishing trip for me and my co-workers with Scotty lol!! I am not up there as often as my folks are, but have you met Jacky and Terry? I'm Teresa, their kid. I'll be up Thursday evening through Saturday at least, if not longer. Where is your cabin at? We're over in the Loch Lomond area of Red Cedar but not on the water, just a block and a half down from Walleye Park. That's awesome that you live in Andover, too!! It is definitely a small world!!!