• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Water temp was 57 to 60 (depending on where you were) on Tuesday and the Crappies were in the warmer bays almost anywhere you went.

I only caught a couple of small walleyes but Vman's been getting them on the east end in deeper water near the rocks and gravel.

Good luck out there and I might see you on Sunday.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a good weekend as well. A few crappies but a good gill bite.

I had a 40 plus inch muskie come out of the water at my gill, he missed, turned and took off like a rocket and nailed it. I fought the muskie for 5 mins until he got bored and shook loose with my gill still in his mouth.

Fished the Chip again this past weekend. Friday night was an awesome night until the storm rolled in. 10 cast with my jig and leech and I had my 3 keeper eyes( over 15 inch's). The cold over night moved the crappies out of the shallows along with the gills and the bite was a hard one the rest of the weekend.

My wife and I were out there this morning and found the bluegills are still in shallow. Starting to get a few females mixed in but still about 90% males. Hit a rock bar earlier in the day in around 18 FOW and managed 3 smaller walleyes, 13 to 16 inchers. We left when the wind came up but all in all, a pretty decent day.

Thanks for the report snooze...

I am coming up and will be out on Sat...supposed to be cold. Hope the gills aren't spooked into deep by the weather. If so...I will probably just cast for bass and walleyes.

We talked to a guy out there and he told us the gills had moved out deeper. I didn't believe that so when we tried for them, we found them right up tight to shore, in a foot to 2 feet. Any deeper and we wouldn't get them. Find a south facing bay with some logs, stumps, and pencil reeds and you should find them.

well it happens at least once a year to me and did again this weekend. I am tucked way back into a corner og this little bay on a body of water that's 17,000 + acres in 2-3 ft of water fishing for gills, well here he comes with his fancy ranger boat tossing musky baits bigger than most walleyes I catch. I mean right back into where I was was within 5 ft of my boat then throws his bait right into the area where I was throwing my bobbers less than 18 inch's of water. Then he says....you guessed it..."catchin any?". They talk about road rage let me tell you they should have class's for boating on ethics and common courtesy. Only saving grace was he went about 30ft from me and threw the bait up in a tree and lost it.Course I don't think my chuckling mad his day either.

That sucks vman. Same thing happened to my wife and I earlier on Long Lake. We were catching crappies in shallow water and a guy goes between us and shore just about running over our bobbers. We were catching quite a few until then, never got another one after that. I wanted to buzz him at half throttle when we left but my wife wouldn't let me. grin

BTW, did you catch anything?

yea got some gills put the females back kept a couple for a meal as if I need more fish. but I like fish and found the perfect mix for breading at least to us that is. We take a box of fry magic and an equal amount of pancake flour and it comes out great. nice and golden brown with the seasoning.

Yea guy got really p-o'd when I started laughing when he threw the musky bait up in the tree. registration wasn't Wisconsin either but that means nothing.

Just got back from the camper on the chip. Walleyes were very hard to come by but the gills made up for it. Males are on the beds in 1-3 ft and will hit just about anything. Look for area's of grass and sand.

Had the same thing today out on the Chip vman, still in there up close to shore. Also caught quite a few bass right alongside the gills. Brought my grandson along today, he had a blast and we topped off the day with chili fries at The Landing.

well got to the camper Friday night and after cleaning up all day Saturday from the tree's that came down and thankfully missed the camper got out Saturday night and Sunday morning but it wasn't good. Was after eyes and only caught a few cigars.

well the past few days of fishing pretty much sucked on the chip for me anyhow. The hot weather followed by the colder weather sure threw a kink in things. I see the Gov vetoed the $15 fee for non-residents to launch their boats on Wis waters. I myself have mixed feelings on this as Friday morning I am sitting on a couple humps (church bars)out on the chip ALL ALONE trying for eyes and here comes a big old skeeter with two guys. Now mind you they have the entire southeastern end to fish.....nope they pulled up a casting distance from me and started tossing their very large musky plugs right around me in between my slip bobbers and as close as 15-20ft of my boat. They did this for a good 15-20 minutes acting like I was on the personal spot. A great tool is a camera phone takes great pics all of which have been forwarded on.

That just sucks vman, hopefully they can do something about it. I've been going out at 4:00 in the morning, all the idiots are still in bed at that time of day. A lot less crowded at the landings too.

well I was on the water at 5am and they showed up at 630. I am sorry for complaining but I am getting really sick and tired of the people and their lack of common courtesy for others. Aren't they suppose to be sportsmen and well?They came up so fast they darn near launched me out of my boat with the back wake. DNR regs say 200ft from any boat or person in or on the water! Again sorry bout the complaining just had to vent. We still need to hook up some time.

Ok I read the regulations and I already knew that no trolling is allowed, but here is my question. It says that position fishing is allowed, so can a guy pull bottom bouncers for walleye(I dont think you can). Or can you pull around a sucker when casting for muskie (again I dont think you can)? I was just wondering because I'm going there for a week before Labor Day. Mostly muskie fishing but will probably have to take a break and walleye fish to.

Thanks

i like the sucker one, its seems like a double edge sword there, if its a live sucker it is giving itself its own action, so draging it behind the boat doesnt seem like a big deal unless it was dead. the bouncers is cut and dry, not legal. if it were me id do the sucker, but thats me, and im sure that there are others that do it.

well was an uneventful weekend on the chip as far as rude boaters goes. Eyes were very illusive to say the least and none came to my boat "0". But what we lacked in eyes was more than made up for with nice big gills and crappies. All came on plastic's fishing over humps. If you can find a hump with wood on it you'll be off to the races. Fished one hump did well them moved to another as to not pressure one area to much. Crappies were average size but the gills were running 8-9 inch's with a few 10's thrown in from time to time. We used tube jigs and micro twister tails in white, pink or chartruese jigged vertical right over the side of the boat.

Thanks for the report vman, might have to take my grandson out there and give it a try, he likes catching anything that bites.

Been fishing mornings skipping around between LCO, Whitefish, and Grindstone and have been picking up a couple each morning except this morning, not a walleye. Spent the morning feeding little perch. Ended up keeping a half dozen bigger ones, enough for a meal.

well this weekend was a much better weekend as far as eyes go. I found the eyes on the Se east side on steep island points. with the wind coming into. Used slip bobbers and leech drifted up onto the points.