• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's your dream walleye fishing boat setup?

fishing addict

With the soft water season approaching fast I wonder what your dream walleye rig would be. I just purchased a lund 17ft fisherman. so far I have not decided how to rig it up and would love to get some ideas on any equipment you guys think is essential?

I bought an 1800 fisherman last year. Make sure you get a trolling motor with at least a 60 inch shaft. The salesman I bought my boat from told me a 54 inch was enough and it isn't so I'm stuck with it. Otherwise I like the boat except for two things. One is that the windshield door will hit the seat on the front deck and will tear it if you are not careful. The other one is that it is hard to control the boat in any wind stronger than 10 mph. Since it is such a deep boat and has tall sides the wind catches it and blows you around. Otherwise I have been very happy with it.

Fisherdog

Chells boat per above, adding that it is stored, insured, maintained, towed and launched by ... the same team of skilled professionals he has on board already. Also, one of them at least is a chef.

Off topic - KDQY's webcast is currently playing "henry 8th" "H E N R Y - hen-uh-ree de aif aye emm eye emm" - too cool.

------------------
Aquaman
< )/////><{
"I think we're gonna need a bigger boat."

I'll expand the subject to include equipping and well as rigging:
rod holders w/ flush mount brackets;
telescoping docking pole (invaluable);
two dock bumpers;
cargo nets under front gunnels to hold bumpers, life jackets, etc. (these may be included w/ the Fisherman model?);
dock lines at each corner of the boat;
dc adaptor plugs (2 or more for cell phone, handheld gps, spotlight, recharging small batteries for flashlights, digital camera, etc.);
removable carpeting for easy cleaning of blood, dirt, slime, etc;
I installed 3 vertical rod tube holders in front of the driver's windshield - rod lockers are a pain when you want to switch presentations frequently;
two anchors, different styles;
first aid kit;
basic tool kit, including wire cutters;
misc supplies such as sun lotion, bug spray, hand soap, aspirin, backup sunglasses, spare hat, plastic bags, duct tape, electrical tape;
I keep at least a half dozen clean hand towels handy;
clear plastic boxes to organize misc items in storage compartments;
splashguards if you want to backtroll;
marker buoys (even w/ GPS and crowded lakes, they are handy if you drop something overboard;
I keep marker buoys and a small spare gas can in the transom well;
My landing net fits across in the transom well, out of the way but still handy;

Since we're on the subject, what motor do you have on the 17 foot Fisherman????? And more specifically, what prop did they put on it for ya?

I have a 2001 1700 Fisherman with a Yamaha 115 4-stroke and LOVE it.

Here are my gripes though for your information.............

1. Motor will hit the pedestal seat on the rear platform when tilted. I cracked the motor cover on my Yamaha. (Be careful).

2. Same as above regarding the windshield hitting the front platform seat. You just have to be careful.

3. The high sidewalls are also thin.....and hard to protect from damage when docking. Make sure you get a quality set of bumpers and that they cover from the gunwale to the waterline.

4. You have to get the 60" shaft for you're trolling motor and make sure you don't undersize the trolling motor for this boat cause its light and high and catches some serious wind. I have a 55 pound thrust on mine and sometimes I wish I had a little more than that.

5. Get an hour meter for the motor. Especially on a new boat. I will be installing one on mine this spring. It will be really nice not to have to guess on your maintenance schedule.

6. It can be really hard to get the bimini top and side curtains assembled when its cold outside cause the plastic windows and canvas don't want to stretch enough to reach the snaps.

Other things I have on mine in case you're interested.

1. 36" drift sock
2. Scotty rod holders
3. 8 rod pedestal base rod holder
4. Garmin 240 on Ram mount on dash (can be swiveled to view from the front platform)
5. Converted to a two battery system for the trolling motor.
6. Buoy markers
7. First Aid kit
8. Extinguisher
9. swim platform
10. Ski post

------------------
I fish.....Therefore I grovel.

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

Aqua, I concur!

I could do the Cheffing, however, I used to be one professionally when I was a young buck; besides I'd have to do SOMETHING grin.gif

------------------
Chells

Dream rig?

Loaded Ranger 621DVX w/a two-fitty on the back

I know this doesn't help much.... but you did ask.

------------------
-FNC

"If I had a job... I'd quit it."

I have been thinking about the 1850 Tyee, or 1800 Fisherman, possibly the Crestliner 1850 Sportfish, but thats a few years off.

Hey Fisherdog 19, and Wastewaterguru, How is the Fisherman different from the Tyee? They appear to be similar.

Robert

I asked that question at the boat show this year and the salesman told me the only difference was that the Tyee had more storage.

Robert,

There are a couple of differences between the Tyee and Fisherman.. most of which are minimal.

The Tyee comes with a wrap around cushion in the bow of the boat, the Tyee comes with a full top set (bimini, zip on sides, aft curtain and bow cover), The livewells are a little different (the Tyee has Pro Long livewells).

All in all, the Tyee has a few more bells and whistles than the Fisherman... which adds a fair amout of cost. I'm pretty sure the hull is the same.

[This message has been edited by marine_man (edited 03-14-2003).]

Dream rig?

I guess mine would be a Ranger 619 DVS with 200 Yamaha HPDI, Yamaha T8 with Panther Electro Steer, MinnKota Maxxum 74 on the bow, and Lowrance electronics. X97 on bow, x15 and 3200 GPS on console, and x97 at rear, and radio for da wife!

Hmmm...That might be nice rig!

------------------
Visit us on the web at www.Athomeonthelake.com

The main difference is SIZE!!!!!!

The fisherman is a lightweight fishing boat..........

The TYEE is a cabin cruiser without the cabin.

Look at the difference in weight, draft, beam, etc.

Fisherman is only rated for 150 HP.....
Tyee is rated at whatever you can put on it!!!!

THe Fisherman is a Standard SUV
The Tyee is a Hummer.

------------------

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

Thanks for the info. Looks like I should be looking into the Fisherman rather than the Tyee if most things being similar. Can you get the bimini top on the Fisherman? Either way, it looks like a great set up. I would have gone to the boat shows to find out more, but came down with bronchitis.

Yes, you can get the bimini top with the fisherman... lund calls it a "sport package" which includes things like a radio, fire extinguisher, bimini and bow cover, as well as a couple other things. Otherwise the dealer can order the top for you seperately...

My Dream boat is sitting in my driveway and will by on the River tomorrow.

Ranger 620 DVS with a full windshield, 225 Yamaha HPDI, T8 Kicker with Remote Steering. X-15, LX-3, a pair of Garmin 240's, Map76 and a FL-18. Raytheon marine band and some Ram 2000 rod holders. Add in the Soft Ride Seats a rear casting deck and I think you have it.

------------------
Scott Steil
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Scott,

I want the soft ride seats...........

That rig's only about 20 g's over my boat budget.

Let me know if ya ever need a partner who has......no tournament experience, cheep equipment, a bald head and goatee, smelly feet, big appetite, etc.

Oh did I mention a great attitude and ability to talk to the fish????

Alright nevermind. It was just wishful thinking.

------------------

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!