• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on motors

I am looking at a new Lund Pro Sport 1700 and the Package Motor is a 90hp 2 stroke yamaha and for an additional $2100 i can upgrade to a 115hp 4 stroke merc. My questions are these, Will the 90 push the boat enough. ( My main body of water is going to be mille lacs.) If i take the upgrade is the 4 stroke worth the 2 grand. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated.

------------------
Fishin' on Saturday
Baseball on Sunday

with a lake that big i would go with the bigger motor. 90 will be enough but i would rather have the 115. plus its a 4 stroke not a 2. what brand motor are you geting? i would suggest a yamaha there the best on the market.

------------------
"Shorefisherman spend all there life trying to cast as far away from shore as possible where boat fisherman spend all there time trying to cast as close to shore as possible"

><>gone fishin<><

I have a 2001 Pro Sport- with the 115. Of course, when I bought mine, they weren't offering the 4-stroke (mine's a 2), but I would have jumped at it. As it was, they wanted $1500 more to go down to an 80 Yamaha 4 stroke. The 90 would push it fine- but, with the 115, you not only get more top-end speed, but, since it's a 4 stroke, it probably idles down great for trolling. My advice- go for it.

i would agree with both of them. a four stroke is definetly better than a two and the 115 will give you more speed if you need to run a long way across mille acs. if you dont want to spend more money on the 115 then the 90 will push it fine but if you want to troll the 4 is way better. hope this helps.

------------------
Most shore fisherman spend all there time casting as far away from shore as possible where boat fisherman spend all there time casting as close to shore as possible.

Fishin-a jerk on one end of the line waiting for a jerk on the other

Just as a comparison for you, i have a 2000 1700 prosport (pre-ips). Mine is about 60# lighter than the new ones @1140 vs 1200. The new gas tank is 24 gal, mine is 17.
I have a 90hp 4 stroke, get max gps of 39.2 with full tank and 2 people in boat at WOT. I get an average of 6.5mpg (figured over a week of running on Kabetogama/Namakan, 234 miles total) Your boat would be slightly heavier, if you could get a 115 (rumor has it yammy is sold out if your dealer doesnt have one in stock) I probably would.
Dont expect to do alot of trolling except for cranks. I can get down to 2.5 gps with my 90 at 600rpm, i throw either a drift sock or two 5 gallon pails out the back to get down lower than that.
I love the boat, I do alot of boat-in camping on Rainy, Namakan and Kab and it performs like a dream even loaded to the gills. I would suggest if your gonna be doing the family thing to get the full topset, it has paid for itself in comfort on some cold days.
Xplorer

A couple of years ago I bought a new boat and bought a two stroke instead of a four - - DO NOT make the same mistake! Four stroke all the way! The other thing I'd do over is to buy a better trailer. If I could do it over, I'd buy a better one than you usually get with a "package". One trailer option I'd really like is the hinged tongue. With that you can fold it back and save a couple of feet when you store it.

Go four stroke. I have a 1996 rig that I replaced the motor on last year. The four stroke is the best for starting, trolling and dependability. Plus you don't have to breath exhaust fumes if you back troll.

Thanks for the input, after talking to the boss, (my wife) we have decided to upgrade to the 1700 fisherman and get the 115 merc so come spring we will see you on the water.

------------------
Fishin' on Saturday
Baseball on Sunday