• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cook Inlet Kings

I just read an article on the Anchorage Daily News HSOforum about some rivers in Cook Inlet being closed to kings this season. The ones they closed have small runs in general so they are not as likely to be visited by any of us. They are close to some more frequented fisheries like the Susitna River and its tributaries. Anyways I just thought this might be an interesting article to anyone thinking about heading up there this year to fish. I wouldn't let this deter me from going up there to chase kings but it might be a good idea to keep an eye on the situation if you are.

Here is the link to the article.

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/04/1263755/state-shuts-three-more-king-fisheries.html

Good to keep in mind that ADF&G has the authority to open/close fishing on any system when it feels necessary and on short notice. People don't like it sometimes, but if we hadn't started doing it way back when, there would not BE any Kings for you guys to catch!

Good luck. Have fun. And remember, you don't HAVE to keep everything you catch.

Thanks guys I hope this is helpful to at least a few people.I definitely have no problem with the ADF&G doing what they have to do to ensure that there is a King fishery in cook inlet for years to come. I will most likely stand by whatever decision they make. If it takes some serious closures/measures to ensure a good fishery in the future I am all for it. This is one of the few resources we have left and I will do what it takes to protect it. I hope everyone still has the season they were looking for without any disappointments. Good luck to you guys and let me know if I can help you out in any way.

P.S.

If you haven't made plans to visit AK yet get on it. You are missing out on so much if you don't go.

Sherpa--I completely agree with you 100%. I have no problem with ADF&G shutting down rivers if need be to preserve the resource... the quality of the fisheries in alaska are world class. i made my first trip to alaska last june, and it took us less then an hour on the water to realize that we need to make this an annual trip. the scenery, wildlife, and most importantly, the fishing are all absolutely AMAZING. last year the ADF&G closed down the river we were tentatively scheduled to fish on with our guide only a couple days before we arrived, so we then went to the little susitna instead and had an absolutely amazing time.

You are going to have a blast for sure. The Kenai has a much bigger run of kings so you should be safe from any closures. Are you going to fish for anything else? There may be some red salmon in some rivers by then. I looked at the fish counts from the past few years and it looked like you picked a pretty good time to go. Here is the link to the fish counts on the AK department of fish and game HSOforum. It will give you the sonar fish counts for the river you choose from years past as well as the current year. It's a pretty good tool to have in my opinion.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/FishCounts/

We are going to Homer for a few days of halibut and rockfish. Than we're going to Soldotna area for a few days of kings on the Kenai. Than we might do a fly-in to wolverine creek for some sockeye, but I'm going to wait until we're there to make the call on that. I just want to make sure the sockeye are running before I book the fly-in.

Based on your link, were going at the perfect time for the early run of kings.

Thanks again!

Halibut=DELICIOUS!!!! Probably my favorite fish to eat. Sadly enough I have never caught one. Homer is a cool town. I camped on the beach there two years ago. Don't waste to much time fishing the lagoon on the Homer spit. I do recommend checking it out though. Fish the incoming tide if you do hit the lagoon. There will be tons of people fishing but few catching anything. Might be to early anyways. You can watch tons of salmon pouring in the one little entrance to the lagoon during an incoming tide. When I was there I watched a seal follow the salmon in there and have at the buffet of fresh fish. I have never fished Wolverine Creek but my dad flies over to the Kustatan to fish which is not to far away. I imagine your guides will have a good idea on the fishing situation at Wolverine Creek by the time you get there. Plenty of bears out that way to see, not that the Kenai Peninsula is short on them.

Anyways I'm going to stop myself before I go on forever. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with.

Have a great time up there. I'm sure you will.

you don't HAVE to keep everything you catch.

Catching and releasing a stream run salmon comes pretty darn close to removing it from the system. Most aren't able to recover enough after fighting a fisherman to continue all the way to spawn.

You don't have to keep everything you catch, but with salmon in the streams you might as well. Better keep those hookups to a minimum and keep a few eaters than release a bunch after taking away their energy to spawn.

I dunno...I've released a ton of salmon in AK rivers that seemed plenty full of life to go on about thier business. Especially in the lower river. I'd agree that catching big hens upriver is bad for spawning, and I wish they'd close that area down.

Traveler is correct: landing the salmon as quickly as you can and then CAREFULLY releasing it will usually not result in fatal damage to the fish. Try to keep your hands OFF the fish and OUT of it's' gills....carry a good Hook-Out type tool in your pocket.

But watch out for that big furry guy behind you!! Ha Ha! One of those guys ate one of my wading shoes years ago!!

Have fun and take care of Alaska.