• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat Buyers Survey

Satchmo

I thought I would put this question directly out to the guys writing the checks! If you walk in to a boat show and all other things being equal, would you be most comfortable dealing with a salesperson that is dressed in--

A. Suit and Tie

B. Business Casual, ie: Dockers and a dress
shirt

C. Outdoor Casual, ie: Clean jeans and a
button-up or polo shirt

D. Someone who obviously needs a shower!

Thanks gang---Satchmo grin.gif

I really don't care what they dress like. It's their attitude that counts. Cocky= bye, bye!

I would say C as my choice. Although B would be really close.

[This message has been edited by CD (edited 02-27-2003).]

I guess I would choose C, but I don't think that what the salesman is wearing has anything to do with whether I buy from him or not. I don't care if he has bermuda shorts and a sombrero on, if I feel comfortable with him and think he's an honest fellow he will get my business.

This is an interesting question. When we were at the Fargo Boat Show one of the dealers salesmen were all dressed in suits. I thought it looked out of place. However, we did meet a very nice young man and if we had been looking for a boat would have probably bought from him, but it would have been his salesmanship not his dress.

I am married to a cowboy and our philosophy is if you can't do it in jeans it does not need to be done. However, that does not include sloppy dress. Our jeans and shirts are starched at the laundry and they are not 3 sizes too big.

So I would vote for C. But not tee shirts and clean and neat are the most important.

------------------
Phyl

what they wear probally means less than there knowledge of the boat they are selling. I like to talk to the sellars about fishing, you know, see what they really know. then ask them about fishing in the boat you are interested in. you can tell right away if they know fishing from the boat, or a simular boat, becuase they think like I do. otherwise C or B would be my choices.

Absolutely B. If I'm spending $20-$30k, I'd like service from someone who looks (and hopefully is) knowledgable and semi-professional. I wouldn't call Dockers and a Polo shirt uptight or too classy by any means. Same thing as a consumer - you usually always get better service if your in khakis and a button shirt than t-shirts and jeans. It's been well documented for both sides.

Assuming all other things (knowledge, additude, etc..) are equal, I agree with most others and would prefer C. I would rather buy a boat from someone I viewed as an outdoorsman, rather than someone I viewed as a salesman.