• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cozy up to your new fish finder

The open water season is coming upon us. Many of us will be in the market for a new fish finder this spring. There are many good sales going on right now and the many fishing shows around the country can offer some great buys as well.
In my opinion , my fish finder is my most important piece of equipment I have in my boat next to my cellular phone and a quality outboard. But my finder is something I’m going to be using more than those two items. My finder’s are my eyes below the surface. They give me a picture of what’s going on under the surface. I can then translate that into my mind and visualize what I’m fishing.
A lot of guys will make the mistake of buying a new finder, stare at the box until the ice melts,mount it on the boat and turn it on for the first time opening weekend. You then find yourself scratching your head and referring to the manual when you should be fishing and catching fish. Now, it will take a lesson on the water or two to get the most out of your finder. But you can save yourself some time by wiring your finder to a flasher battery or deep cycle and running through the unit’s menu and options in your home. Get familiar with the unit long before you hit the water. Obviously your not going to get readings unless the transducer is in the water, but you can follow the manual and be prepared long before you put it to use. It will make much more sense on the water to you. You rely on your finder to tell you what you need to know. Your finder relies on you to tell it what it needs to know.
I can’t say this enough but I see too many anglers with $15,000+ boats and then the dealer sells them a $100 finder. Don’t cheat yourself on electronics. You get what you pay for in finders. Is catching more fish worth an extra boat payment or two? There are many quality finders on the market. Check out the new Vexilar Edge2 with it’s dual transducer concept. This is one of many good finders that will help make you a better angler.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here