• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear application deadline

Yea putting the the tag back in for a second chance drawing would be great cause things do happen. peta pricks will still apply an then purchase just to waste a tag. Boar

If you win the lottery you win the lottery, doesn’t matter if you chose to receive that reward or not, you have burned your preference points. This is one of the reasons for the area 99 option; you gain a point but cannot hunt. It is a way to keep points but not burn up tags.

KevFish, thanks for looking that info up.

As for those that apply then do not hunt I feel that is not only a great tragedy but pure disrespect for fellow hunters. I have had father son teams unable to win a tag, I have seen young men and women try to hunt before they head off to Iraq, Afghanistan of who knows what other hell hole. Every year I have at least two or three hunters who had their goal and plans of hunting black bear crushed by the lottery results. Then to hear comments of people applying for tags just incase they may get the inkling to hunt but most likely plan on never really getting out and doing it really gets under my skin. Those are not just tags you are playing around with; they are my livelihood, they are the dreams of people, the excitement of a young adolescent going on a hunt with his father, the plans of a working man whom has pulled double shifts to make the money and time to go. Anyone that applies for a tag knowing they most likely will not hunt should actually be ashamed of themselves.

BooHoo...You're an [PoorWordUsage]! You hate people like me huh? Who donate time to help the DNR with surverys, build trails, Donate time out on lakes and take water samples, donate money to fund programs, purchase stamps when I don't even hunt those birds, buys his wife a fishing license who hasen't a wet a line in five years, belongs to multiply hunting and fishing clubs, ATV clubs, snowmobile clubs. You think you know me or any other hunter? I'm guessing you're a guide by your response? I don't know you or what you do, how YOU help out, but complaining about how you hate "US" people???? get over yourself. When "we" people who would like to hunt, and trust me, would rather be hunting then what we have to do, can't make it out cause we can't foresee what next fall brings and have gotten drawn but didn't buy a license...I'm pretty sure they can go buy the extra license over the counter.

I can also tell you I apply for a doe tag every year too!!! Hey guess what, I only shot one doe in the past three years and I had a doe tags, but managed two take bucks the others!!!!

I Donate what little or as much money as i can to our wildlife services and more importantly I donate TIME! Maybe I'm selfish and I don't care...I feel I deserve the CHANCE of hunting bear so yes...I'll continue to apply every year and if I get drawn and and can't go come Sept 1st...I won't feel the least bit sad. Go ahead and Charge for an application fee...I'll still pay every year cause I know where the money is going....to what I love the most, the good outdoors.

Oh and p.s. I'm not even close to rich where I can just throw away money. But this is what I do for fun and enjoyment...Hunt and fish so I believe in helping the cause. I also work full time and find time to volunter.

Hate people like me....

Pulleye,

I think that is great that you donate all of your time, energy, and money toward the outdoors. We need more people like you. And I don't think anybody hates you or people like you. I think people maybe get upset with the idea of someone winning the application process and then not going through with getting the license.

Let's just say, for the sake of the discussion, there are 100 tags in a certain zone. Let's say 150 people apply for that zone. All 100 "winners" could decide they aren't hunting that year, which would be their right to do. But that also means 50 people will not be hunting that zone regardless if the 100 who "won" the application buy a license or not.

Again, I don't think anyone is trying to make personal attacks...at least I hope not. We're all in this together. I hope you get to go this fall.

Well Pulleye I do not recall or see in my post or text that you yourself fully quoted stating I hated anyone or referred to hating "US People" as you utilized in your reply. You took it upon yourself to use those words. Although you did throw a nice little fit and sling out some name calling so I hope you do feel better about yourself now and can get on with what I was truly saying. And I quote

"Anyone that applies for a tag knowing they most likely will not hunt should actually be ashamed of themselves."

I standby that statement and will even go farther to say more restrictions should go onto doe tags. You apply for a doe tag yet brag about making it point to not utilize that tag. Good thing the money, staffing and resources you are so very proud of where expended to establish x-amounts of doe tags in attempts of herd management only to have them consumed by greed instead of need and not utilized. This puts a big variable into the equation of herd management. I would like to see doe tags issued in priority to elderly hunters, disabled hunters, new hunters and youth hunters to help increase interest in hunting. I also think it would be great if you had a doe tag yet registered a buck you lose preference when it comes time to request the next doe tag.

Oh and just so you do know donating funds or time, buying unneeded licenses or any other form or contribution does not justify special rights or generate a higher standard for anybody...unless you are running for office. Sorry but just the way it is.

I hope they do this, also. Those tags should not go to waste. Sometimes things come up and people can't go hunting for whatever reason, but then someone else who did plan should be able to purchase the tag.

This would be perfect, many states do this with ELk, Mule Deer, Turkeys etc etc.

Put a purchase deadline on the tag and allow for administrative time before offering them over the counter or a second drawing.

You're totally right JonnyP...what was I thinking! God forbid we have any freedoms out in the woods and what we choose to do. Your even more right on the doe tags. Cause I was just thinking the Doe tag gave me the option of if I didn't have the chance to bag a nice buck I could take a doe later in the season if luck would have it. stupid me!! You're to caught up in all the political [PoorWordUsage]...Life isn't fair and deal with it. Every good idea that someone has, ten more will shoot it down.

If I get drawn this year maybe you can take me out...It will be a hoot!

Originally Posted By: Jonny P
If you win the lottery you win the lottery, doesn’t matter if you chose to receive that reward or not, you have burned your preference points. This is one of the reasons for the area 99 option; you gain a point but cannot hunt. It is a way to keep points but not burn up tags.

KevFish, thanks for looking that info up.

As for those that apply then do not hunt I feel that is not only a great tragedy but pure disrespect for fellow hunters. I have had father son teams unable to win a tag, I have seen young men and women try to hunt before they head off to Iraq, Afghanistan of who knows what other hell hole. Every year I have at least two or three hunters who had their goal and plans of hunting black bear crushed by the lottery results. Then to hear comments of people applying for tags just incase they may get the inkling to hunt but most likely plan on never really getting out and doing it really gets under my skin. Those are not just tags you are playing around with; they are my livelihood, they are the dreams of people, the excitement of a young adolescent going on a hunt with his father, the plans of a working man whom has pulled double shifts to make the money and time to go. Anyone that applies for a tag knowing they most likely will not hunt should actually be ashamed of themselves.

BooHoo...You're an [PoorWordUsage]! You hate people like me huh? Who donate time to help the DNR with surverys, build trails, Donate time out on lakes and take water samples, donate money to fund programs, purchase stamps when I don't even hunt those birds, buys his wife a fishing license who hasen't a wet a line in five years, belongs to multiply hunting and fishing clubs, ATV clubs, snowmobile clubs. You think you know me or any other hunter? I'm guessing you're a guide by your response? I don't know you or what you do, how YOU help out, but complaining about how you hate "US" people???? get over yourself. When "we" people who would like to hunt, and trust me, would rather be hunting then what we have to do, can't make it out cause we can't foresee what next fall brings and have gotten drawn but didn't buy a license...I'm pretty sure they can go buy the extra license over the counter.

I can also tell you I apply for a doe tag every year too!!! Hey guess what, I only shot one doe in the past three years and I had a doe tags, but managed two take bucks the others!!!!

I Donate what little or as much money as i can to our wildlife services and more importantly I donate TIME! Maybe I'm selfish and I don't care...I feel I deserve the CHANCE of hunting bear so yes...I'll continue to apply every year and if I get drawn and and can't go come Sept 1st...I won't feel the least bit sad. Go ahead and Charge for an application fee...I'll still pay every year cause I know where the money is going....to what I love the most, the good outdoors.

Oh and p.s. I'm not even close to rich where I can just throw away money. But this is what I do for fun and enjoyment...Hunt and fish so I believe in helping the cause. I also work full time and find time to volunter.

Hate people like me....

I here by nominate you for outdoorsman of the year-great job and good luck in this years drawing. Although I still hope i get drawn as I would love to get the opportunity to participate in the hunt.

This is from HF3124 and was recomended to pass yesterday by the last committee to hash it over...it is now in ways and means...so, we'll see what happens!

A person selected through a drawing must purchase a license by the Friday

closest to July 31. Any remaining available licenses not purchased shall be issued beginning the following Wednesday to those who applied unsuccessfully. Any remaining available licenses not purchased by unsuccessful applicants may then be issued the following week beginning on Wednesday to any eligible person as prescribed by the commissioner on a first-come, first-served basis.

Sec. 31. [97B.4251] BAITING BEAR; USE OF DRUM.

Notwithstanding section 97B.425, a private landowner or person authorized by the private landowner may use a drum to bait bear on the person's private land. The drum must be securely chained or cabled to a tree so that it cannot be moved from the site by a bear and the drum may not include a mechanical device for dispensing feed. The drum must be marked with the name and address of the person who registered the bait site. For

purposes of this section, "drum" means a 30 gallon or larger drum.

On a side note have you seen any big bears yet this year Jonny?

Oh ya, I have one big bugger that never got hunted last year left me a "mark" on the road...almost needed 4x4 to get over the pile it was so big. grin

Well, it's just in the house now and the senate companion bill doesn't have any of this wording in it, but does have some similar or equal language on other topics and that bill passed in it's third reading in the senate yesterday....so, I would guess that they will end up rolling both these bills into one omnibus bill and it will all have to be rehashed again by both the house and senate....we couldn't be so lucky as to have them both agree on each other's bills....the senate version includes more statewide deer feeding restrictions, penalties for feeding deer, allowing the use of up to 4 power scopes on muzzeloaders,(by everyone), authorizing the use of two lines year round when fishing,(for summer you would have to purchase a 2nd line endorsement for ten bucks)...etc...and none of that is in the house version...I really think it will take some time...if you want to read the whole bill...it's SF2900 and HF3124. just go to the Legislative update link on the dnr home page.

This is from HF3124 and was recomended to pass yesterday by the last committee to hash it over...it is now in ways and means...so, we'll see what happens!

A person selected through a drawing must purchase a license by the Friday

closest to July 31. Any remaining available licenses not purchased shall be issued beginning the following Wednesday to those who applied unsuccessfully. Any remaining available licenses not purchased by unsuccessful applicants may then be issued the following week beginning on Wednesday to any eligible person as prescribed by the commissioner on a first-come, first-served basis.

Sec. 31. [97B.4251] BAITING BEAR; USE OF DRUM.

Notwithstanding section 97B.425, a private landowner or person authorized by the private landowner may use a drum to bait bear on the person's private land. The drum must be securely chained or cabled to a tree so that it cannot be moved from the site by a bear and the drum may not include a mechanical device for dispensing feed. The drum must be marked with the name and address of the person who registered the bait site. For

purposes of this section, "drum" means a 30 gallon or larger drum.

This would be great.

I really hope PullEYE 16 CAN participate in the hunt this year, but unfortunately does not get drawn because some real "outdoorsman" who has little to no knowledge of the lottery process applied for the slim chance he might hunt. What a joke!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but May 26th IS late May! When are the bear results going to be available? I e-mailed the DNR last week, but I got the usual response- nothing.

But May 31st is later! grin And as for the purchase your license by july 31st and using barrels on private land in SF2900....it made it through the house and senate...And, the Gov vetoed it yesterday.... frown So, I guess we'll have to see what happens next!

They have to do something about unused tags. Sure a few may be some guys that just could not go, but this was from the Aitkin paper last year. A lot of unused tags. Even with the lack of hunters and all Boar's help I could not shoot one.

"Bear Quota Area 51 covers some 4,575 square miles and includes all of Aitkin County and most of Carlton County, but it also includes small portions of Crow Wing, Cass, Itasca, Mille Lacs, St. Louis, and Pine Counties. Some 3,800 hunters applied for the 2,500 available permits but to date, only 1,787 of those eligible hunters have actually bought a license."

My boy and I applied again this season after taking last year off(divorce court). Hopefully we draw a tag. I to worry the anti's will try to snag most of the tags, especially with the bear documentary that was filmed in our hunting area debut in April. Lots of anti centiment in the blogs all over the internet after the airing of the documentary.

thats where we applied wasa 51 i really hope we get drawn and thats another reason i was hoping they would pass the law with july 31, even if we dont get drawn someone will get a tag and they wont be wasted by the anti's