• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bear application deadline

I'm wondering if everyone else is being told the deadline was 4/30/10 rather than 5/7/10 which is what it says on the DNR HSOforum. Went in this evening to apply only to be told I'm to late, very disapointed if this is the case.

Per the DNR handbook:

Important Dates:

August 14: Start of baiting.

September 1–October 18: 2009 Bear Season.

Late March 2010: Applications available.

May 7, 2010: Application deadline for the 2010 season.

I also hope that there is some sort of glitch. I was going to apply on Wednesday. The DNR HSOforum says the deadline for bear and moose applications is the "first Friday in May."

I too had no problems at GM (lakeville). On a side note: How does the lottery work for bear in MN. I've been applying for the last 3-4 years, got picked every year but haven't purchased a liscens cause I usually got trapped at work and couldn't make it work. I'm not able to forcast that far into the future so I keep applying. One of these years I hope to get out in the woods again. How do the "prefrence" points work? Do I stay on top of the list if I apply every year and don't buy a liscens?

You do not stay at the top of the list when you get drawn but choose not to purchase a license. You have just been lucky. What you have been doing is taking away the opportunity from someone else that would actually purchase a license and participate in the hunt. frown

You do not stay at the top of the list when you get drawn but choose not to purchase a license. You have just been lucky. What you have been doing is taking away the opportunity from someone else that would actually purchase a license and participate in the hunt. frown

Where did you find that info at? would like to read it.

Kevfish is right...you aquire one preferance point for each time you have applied and not been selected...so if you applied last year and were not drawn, you have one point...if you've applied for the last two years with no success you have two points, etc... When you are drawn for a bear permit you loose all your preferance points and start again at zero...you still go to zero when drawn even if you don't purchase a license...the information can be found on the dnr HSOforum...

"Bear Permit Area Licenses by Drawings:

Licenses are made available by a drawing that is based on a system of preference. A hunter’s preference level is determined by the number of years they have submitted valid but unsuccessful applications since last receiving a license...You will not gain a preference unless you apply using the same MDNR number that you used last time you applied."

After reading, I don't think you go to "zero" preference points or loose points if you apply, get drawn, and don't buy. I also don't think I gain points either. Now if I buy a license I will loose my points. Right??? Is there anyone how can verify that or see something I'm missing. Don't won't to get into it, I just have a curious mind and like to know how things work.

again from the mn DNR web

ADDITIONAL IMPORTANT INFORMATION

1. Any person who makes a false statement on an application shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.

2. Application deadline is Friday, May 7, 2010.

3. Successful applicants will be notified by June 15, 2010.

4. As in the past, preference will NOT be given for the current year if applicant is successful in the drawing, first or second choice, but does not

purchase a license.

If you win the lottery you win the lottery, doesn’t matter if you chose to receive that reward or not, you have burned your preference points. This is one of the reasons for the area 99 option; you gain a point but cannot hunt. It is a way to keep points but not burn up tags.

KevFish, thanks for looking that info up.

As for those that apply then do not hunt I feel that is not only a great tragedy but pure disrespect for fellow hunters. I have had father son teams unable to win a tag, I have seen young men and women try to hunt before they head off to Iraq, Afghanistan of who knows what other hell hole. Every year I have at least two or three hunters who had their goal and plans of hunting black bear crushed by the lottery results. Then to hear comments of people applying for tags just incase they may get the inkling to hunt but most likely plan on never really getting out and doing it really gets under my skin. Those are not just tags you are playing around with; they are my livelihood, they are the dreams of people, the excitement of a young adolescent going on a hunt with his father, the plans of a working man whom has pulled double shifts to make the money and time to go. Anyone that applies for a tag knowing they most likely will not hunt should actually be ashamed of themselves.

Agreed. I know what it's like just sitting at camp while the other guys are out hunting because I was unlucky in the lottery. I think they should have a one year penalty or something like that if a successful applicant doesn't buy a license.

They are trying to change this....they are proposing that "if drawn" an individual would have to purchase a license by mid-july sometime...and if they didn't they would then loose their opportunity...their tag would then reissued via a 2nd chance drawing or sold over the counter, first come first served...I'm thinking I read this info in some current Legislation, but it could have been in the permanent rules process too...wherever...it's out there and hopefully will become reality soon....

They are trying to change this....they are proposing that "if drawn" an individual would have to purchase a license by mid-july sometime...and if they didn't they would then lose their opportunity...their tag would then reissued via a 2nd chance drawing or sold over the counter, first come first served.

I hope they do this, also. Those tags should not go to waste. Sometimes things come up and people can't go hunting for whatever reason, but then someone else who did plan should be able to purchase the tag.