• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shore Fishing Tourney?

I took the liberty of starting a new thread for this discussion.Just trying to keep the thread on topic.
SO far we have USPENAMC and Lunker interested.
Any one interested in organizing it?

If were looking for attendance I'd say the metro area; just cause thats where the biggest chunk of Anglers (And population in general) without boats resides. Plus there are many lakes that are entirely fishable by park for the entire shoreline. I love having the boat in the water; but still do quite a bit of shore fishing if the opportunity presents itself.. espically on smaller lakes.

I would say metro myself I live in south minneapolis on 2700 and pillsbury avenue so pretty close to all the lakes. we have many lakes to choose from, and alot of open shoreline. If you are not familiar let me give you some lakes. Calhoun, Isles, Harriet, Cedar, Nokomis, Hiawatha, to name a few not to mention the Ford Dam, Missisipi river. I am in no way an expert at fishing, and actually just got into fishing last year. Im originally from south texas, Former Marine and then headed north bound to Minneapolis. I got a job offer at Xcel Energy as a Central Station Operator. Expecting a child any day now and I am 24 years old. Thats the down and dirty to introduce myself and I guess make people feel comfortable. I work nights so my replies are always late.

I'm interested if it's a one-day kind of deal, as opposed to a tourney series (like LETS) for the '03 season, anyway. Sure, I'm interested. I'm not familiar enough with metro shorelines to site it, though. If you need additional help - I'm game.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Sounds like fun...I live in Apple Valley and Mankato during the college school year, and I think I would find time for this..dad rarely lets me borrow the boat, so this is a perfect chance to see what I can do from shore.

I would not be running this.I will have my hands full with LETS Metro ,cat league and river "rattin" stuff.Any one would be welcome to organize and run it and promote it here on FM.
There has been talk of a shore league/tournament sereis so I started a new topic for it.

Okay - I'll step up and volunteer to take on administrative functions. I.E. - posting updates, scheduling a meeting and if neccessary securing a pavillion at a park.

I'll need some advice on how to collect fees and so on. Like I said, I'm cool with a one-day event, but not a series.

Comment?

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Okay - what I'm thinkin' so far is that it'll be in the fall just before smallies go off-season, at a river. I've never put a tourney together, and the more I think about it, the more questions I have. I'm going to attend "Trout Day" in April to get ideas and solutions, then I'll start putting something together.

Everyone feel free to put up suggestions for locations here, and if someone with more experience in these things wants to take it from me to get it done sooner, yer welcome. Won't hurt my feelins none grin.gif

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

I can't help organize anything because I'm not living in the area anymore.... However I would be sure to come down and spend some time with you folks.

If it were to be in the metro I would make a recommendation on Lake Calhoun around the 1st week of June. At this time the weeds arent too high normally and the fishing is good, and the weather is usually pretty stable. The entire lake is accessable by shore with about 90% of the shoreline areas being decent for fishing.

Although the season isnt open at that time of year, the muskie fishing is usually fantastic from the shore at the same time ... they like spinnerbaits too. Open or not, they make for good photo's.

there is a spot on the mississippi next to the lake street bridge that would have sufficent room for a tourney. I would think the first step into putting a tourney together would be to secure a date, then make sure to get a license from the DNR, then get some sponsors.

------------------
"They say tuna is brain food, I guess it's cuz it has so much dolphin in it and you know how smart they are"

you park up the street that reuns perpindicular with the spot. There is a staircase down to a culvert. I think thats the spot you are talkin about. It stays open in the winter, i went there a few weeks ago, caught 4 carp. The spot os visable from the lake street bridge.

Hate to sound dumb here (can't help it)... The staircase is close to the bridge on the east side? Thanks!

Cool thing too - I was driving across the Lake Street bridge yesterday just kinda snooping around - a bald eagle was flying around the bridge just when I was going across. I love seeing stuff like that!