• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is Back-Trolling?

Hi,
Okay let me get this out of the way -

RobertC,
Trolling backwards.
(insert signature here)

There, now that that's out of the way - I've heard the term 'back-trolling', but I fail to see the advantages of doing it, or circumstances that would lead to it. Please enlighten this newbie to watercraft to the lore and nuances of this technique.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Robertc,
There are several advantages to back trolling:
1) better boat control along breaks and over structure
2) in choppy conditions back trolling causes the boat to move in an erratic manner which tends o trigger strikes
3) if in a smaller rig, it helps get your speed down to a minimum

Theres is alot more to backtrolling than just running the boat in reverse. If I could find the Jigging walleyes 101, 102 and 103 articles that were written by the team at Scenic Tackle. I know it was explained very well there. I have a copy of them on a disk If you would like to read them. Just send me your e mail and I'll shoot them over. In short backtrolling is a very precise form of boat control used to follow edges, hover and use the wind to your advantage instead of fighting it. Lots easier just to get ya in the boat than to try and teach by typing, it takes some practice but once you have it mastered you've got it made! Paul

------------------
Paul Rohweller
Pine to Prairie Guide Service
218-962-3387
http://fishingminnesota.com/pinetoprairie

Backtrolling is definitely a precision technique. The boat responds much more quickly to changes in direction when you are backtrolling. You'll find me following sharp breaks in calm to windy conditions when forward trollers are only in the neighborhood of the break. Guess who usually catches more fish?

I guess I'm kinda of a backwards kind of guy. wink.gif

Thanks a lot, ya'll. The info Paul gave me was tops! So, if I've got this right, before worrying about how to back-troll, I should first learn how to read my graph to pin-point the drop-offs/bars/breaks and plot a course using either gps, or markers. Thanks again.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Another definate advantage of backtrolling is it helps keeps your line/lines away from the lower unit while pulling live bait rigs, jigs, or any other type of shorter line presentations. It helps when the view of all lines are in front of you, and most often out of obstructions, or harms way.

Backtrolling is not for speedtrolling spoons, or pulling 'raps .. but is an extremely precise way to present baits exactly where you want, and how fast on a structure.

The use of a drift sock (sea anchor) can also increase your boat control in far less than ideal conditions, and helps keep the boat in-line when the waves or wind is violently tossing, or shifting the boat.

Also a good set of splash guards are a necessity. The drift sock mentioned really shines in windy conditions whether backtrolling or drifting. I tie mine off the bow. Slows things down and keeps the bow down(thus the transom up).

Last summer on our family vacation I got the most fishing in under windy conditions. The forward trollers(and bow mount electrics)couldn't stay on the fish and therefore stayed on shore for the most part(and I've got the smallest boat in the group). The drift sock, splash guards and rain gear(the sun was shining)helped make it a productive and enjoyable trip. For some reasom my boat was always full of fishing partners.

Once you get the backtrolling down you'll move on to slipping and controlled drifts.

Have a great summer!