• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why is Punto in the Majors still?

RumRiverRat

Remember Al Newman. Punto plays the same role. I think he's a valuable utility player. Speaking of Eric Milton,,, whatever happened to him?

Milton is an unsigned free agent with career long arm issues, his playing days are pretty much done. I have an Eric Milton fishing lure I got from a game I went to, I think that came out the season after he pitched his no-hitter

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, you've admitted that the Yankees, Phillies, and Mets showed some interest in him. You've named three big market teams, two of which are contenders in their divisions. That would get press. Do you really think the Royals, Diamondbacks, Indians, Orioles, Blue Jays, Cubs, Brewers, Astros, Dodgers, Giants, Mariners, Marlins, and Rockies would not want a guy like Punto on their team? If you are his agent, would it benefit you and your client to announce that the Royals are interested, or that the Yankees have called? Which press release would drive the price up for your client?

I'd say a press release saying that there were 15 teams interested in him would drive up the price more than one saying two or three teams had interest. And remember those that did were looking at him as a utility or backup utility player. Not trying to put the guy down here but trying to balance that I don't think half or more of the league would be salivating over picking him up for their team.

I will stand by my statements. Would the lower payroll teams express interest once they've heard teams like the Yankees, Phillies, and Mets have contacted Punto's agent? Probably not, but would they like to have the guy on their team?

I will not stand by statements that I did not make. I never used the word salivate in referring to other team's desire to have the guy, heck I probably couldn't spell it if it wasn't there to copy. I also never said that he would be a starter on any or all of those teams.

Punto gives you a 100% effort all the time. Does he have .300, 20hrs, or 100rbi's in him? Without a doubt, no. Does he deserve all the B and in B, S as in S that he gets here? Absolutely not. He deserves the respect for taking his game to the major league level, something I only could dream of doing when I was his age. He has been put into a position of being asked to overacheive in every aspect of his game. From the looks of things, he's a winner to have on this team.

From the attitude of some of the posters on this site, they are Yankee fan wannabees. Think about it, they want the Twins to spend like the Yankees, they want steroid filled superstars like the Yankees, and they reserve the right to complain about every little minor flaw in a player...yep, like Yankee fans. If these guys moved east and adpoted those bums, they'd fit right in and wouldn't have to listen to my junk.

Punto will probably be on Sportscenters Top 10 or at least Baseball Tonights Webgems for the play he made in the 8th again tonight!... And that is why I LOVE Punto!

So will Span's throw to Butera in the bottom of the 10th!

Cant stand the guy, the defensive part is way over rated. He may be a good defensive player, but we are only talkin 4-5 less errors vs 100+ points batting average, rbi, hr, etc vs someone else. The only reason people think Punto is a good player is becuz you think he hustles, plays hard etc. He is a terrible base runner, cant bunt and sleeps in gardy's arse!

Ok, look at it like this:

Punto's stats:

.248 career batting average

56 errors in 10 seasons

4 million salary

I'm pretty sure that Derek Jeter would be considered by some as the best 3rd baseman/shortstop in the majors.

Jeter's stats:

.317 career batting average

144 errors in first 10 seasons

22.6 million salary

So as you can see, there is not a difference of .100 in batting ave., There is more than a 5 or 6 error difference, and there is a 17.4 million dollar price difference.

Mike Schmidt is considered by many to be the greatest 3rd baseman ever. His career batting average was only .267 and his fielding % was .961. Puntos fielding % is .978. The only difference was Schmidts home run power.

Punto has made several nice plays again today. Sometime he makes the plays so fast that they really aren't even close plays at first which makes them less exciting as a Top 10. I think some people take for granted the tough plays he makes look routine sometimes! He also came up with a clutch 2 outs bases loaded 2 R.B.I. hit today. Something NO Twin is really doing well!

I thought about this last night... If we really want something to complain about maybe we should pick on Kubels average (this will come around though!), Crains ERA, or a lack of clutch hits with bases loaded or RISP.

REMEMBER when the posts were all about getting rid of Cuddyer? Seemed like everyone hated that guy too. Now he is one of the most popular and productive players on the team! I realize Punto will never have offensive numbers like Cuddy, but just like most players people have not liked in the past, I am going to stand up for Punto like I did with Cuddy a few years ago.

Delmon is also having a nice start to his season but FM still has/had a Delmon hate post too! I'll admit I was a little more skeptical of him after most of last year too but he is still a young player with lots of room to get better!

days like today will go a long way to help to silence critics. not that anybody should expect games like this every day but one or two times a week would be nice and shouldn't be too much to ask of a player with a 4 million salary on this team.

Regarding Cuddy, he got most of his criticism at points in the season where he wasn't really excelling a lot to earn his salary but he really turned it around the last 1 1/2 month of last season with some huge clutch hitting and is continuing with that this season so he's really silenced the critics with his play, which is the best way to do it. I haven't seen much, if any criticism of him during this current season.

regarding comparisons to jeter, schmidt, and ripken, I hope you are trying to be funny. jeter should obviously have more errors because puntos played himself to a bench spot a few times in his career so he obviously has had quite a few fewer opportunities at fielding balls than jeter. punto's had just a few less hits, homers, rbi's and mvp's than schmidt and think it will likely stay that way. pretty much same goes with ripken comparisons.

bottom line is us "haters" as some of you like to call us want the team to win just as much as the "homers" who think that nobody on the team should ever be criticized simply because they are on the team. I was glad to see punto have a game today that we could be satisfied with and hope he keeps it up. But when posters come on this site and start posting silly statements like he saves over 100 runs in a season with his defense, or half the league wanting him on their team, or favorable comparisons to hall of famers, then many of us "haters" will come back and put a sense of reality on those claims. just like the homers will point out when a hater exaggerates and makes a false statement.

To Twins!!

Well then, please tell me who you would rather have in that position? Is there someone available that I don't know about that is better and the Twins could pick up for less than 4 mil.?

days like today will go a long way to help to silence critics. not that anybody should expect games like this every day but one or two times a week would be nice and shouldn't be too much to ask of a player with a 4 million salary on this team.

Punto shares playing time with Harris. Some weeks he doesn't play more than 3 0r 4 games a week.

Regarding Cuddy, he got most of his criticism at points in the season where he wasn't really excelling a lot to earn his salary but he really turned it around the last 1 1/2 month of last season with some huge clutch hitting and is continuing with that this season so he's really silenced the critics with his play, which is the best way to do it. I haven't seen much, if any criticism of him during this current season.

regarding comparisons to jeter, schmidt, and ripken, I hope you are trying to be funny. jeter should obviously have more errors because puntos played himself to a bench spot a few times in his career so he obviously has had quite a few fewer opportunities at fielding balls than jeter. punto's had just a few less hits, homers, rbi's and mvp's than schmidt and think it will likely stay that way. pretty much same goes with ripken comparisons.

Jeter and Punto have an identical fielding %. The point is that Puntos defense can be put up against the best ever at those positions. His hitting can not but he is a .250 career hitter along with being one of the best defensive players in baseball. I think he certainly deserves a spot on the team.

bottom line is us "haters" as some of you like to call us want the team to win just as much as the "homers" who think that nobody on the team should ever be criticized simply because they are on the team. I was glad to see punto have a game today that we could be satisfied with and hope he keeps it up. But when posters come on this site and start posting silly statements like he saves over 100 runs in a season with his defense, or half the league wanting him on their team, or favorable comparisons to hall of famers, then many of us "haters" will come back and put a sense of reality on those claims. just like the homers will point out when a hater exaggerates and makes a false statement.

As far as comparisons against hall of famers, the numbers speakfor themselves.

To Twins!!

No sense in complaining because he is going to be on the team regardless. Bottom line is the Twins have long been one of the best defensive teams in the majors and Punto is the best defensive 3rd baseman the team has! We still lead the league in fewest errors and he has made a lot of nice plays at 3rd already this season.

Here is a nice little article on Punto written prior to the start of the season.

Punto: Undervalued

The key I took away besides his defensive ability and overall baserunning smarts (Yes I know the Yankees game is a bad reminder.... as mentioned in the article)

BUT, as a #9 hitter his on base percentage was .337 compared to the league average of .305! It may not seem like a whole lot but over the course of a season it adds up. HE IS our #9 hitter, there are not many #9 hitters in this league that are hitting for power. Most times getting guys over and rolling the lineup over is what you hope for out of your #9 hitter. Yes his avg. and slugging % were lower, but he also had an off year. This guy hit .298 in 2006 and .284 in 2008. It's an even year and even though he is batting about .233 right now I think he can pick it up a little and if he ends the season in the .260 to .280 area I'd be happy with it.

Last year he struck out 70 times in 359 at bats and walked 61 times. That means he put the ball in play or got on base 4 out of every 5 times he was up! He takes a lot of pitches and earns walks and the old addage of your 9 hitter being a second lead off guy holds some truth with Punto. (I never really understood the saying when I played in high school but it seems to make sense - take pitches, draw walks, and do the little things offensively to help the team win games)

I almost forgot the SILLY-NESS is on the haters part and not Garnedhire's who has forgot more about Baseball that the Haters will EVER know!

No offense but if you don't understand why Punto is on the team and playing you don't know JACK about baseball!...PERIOD!

Carry on a deal and with it HATERS!

I completely and wholeheartedly disagree with your statement. He does things most infielders wouldn't even attempt. From a pure defensive standpoint he's top five easy. Hitting...well that's a different story but I've certainly seen worse in the majors.