• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What is going on?

Rippinlip

From what I have been reading and hearing that now makes atleast 3 Mn. lakes that are open and are opening wider, even though it is getting colder. What could be the reason?
More underground springs? Current we never have seen before? Biblical?(ya know about armegadon(sp), the seas boiling?)

I figured the scientists can't figure it out,
Why can't a bunch of fisherpeople.(outdoorspeople)

I think it is DUTCHBOY that is trying to push open water season a little closer.... wink.gif

I believe there has been sightings of him, a boat, and a chainsaw on each of the lakes... grin.gif

Just kidding Dutchboy !!!

But it does puzzle everybody this deal doesn't it ?

Basically it sounds like it boils down to springs. I rember reading in someone elses post or in a newspaper that the water tables are extremely high with the extra wet summer we had. As a result there is enough of a warm water current from the bottom of the lakes to open them up.

I don't know whats causing the freak openings .. it has to have something to do with the high water table. There are a lot of possibilities.

I have family members that live by North Long in the Brainerd area. I was in the area about a week ago and he was commenting on the hole on long. Divers we're sent to the lake for testing to see whats going on. The final results were inconclusive, but the water in the opening is 60 degrees.

That to me sounds like hot springs ... all this water, maybe some is finding a way down deep enough to a crack in the earths crust and boiling out? Who knows.

Even Alaska has several hot springs, just because our climate is relatively cold doesnt mean we can't.

I can live with a hot spring here and there .. but I'm going to spend less time fishing and considerable time drinking if a geiser (sp?) would sprout when I was fishing.

My folks in Vermont have even seen our "Black Holes" on the news. I told my Mom it was something like crop-circles, but on ice. shocked.gif She didn't believe me. rolleyes.gif I think it's springs, too.

Now, I read once that in the summer big northerns hang out over springs 'cause the cooler water aggrees with their metabolism. Sooo if one were to mark these thin spots on their maps, one might have a nice shot at some groovy open water action come summer, eh?

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

Valv, way to go, now everybody thinks it's me opening those holes in the lake! LOL

My theory is people from the planet of Walter are coming down and looking for lost relatives known as walleyes.I believe it's the heat from the spaceship causing the melting of the ice.For those doubting my theory i invite you to set up a lawn chair on the edge of the ice, pop a top on your favorite beverage and wait for their return.
In the event they are late do not fall into the open water! Go home and wait for the next sign they will be back.

Oh,by the way open water is coming soon,right?

Thanks Jim. It wasn't the longest perch I've caught, but it is the heaviest. It had some major girth. It weighed in at 1lb 12oz. I was out fishing with Scott Steil and he had one that weighed 1lb 5oz. We had some other fish over a pound. I was just fortunate to get the heaviest one. Is that new boat of yours itching to get back out on the river?

flyingfish,

Your definitely bonused having a friend in Scott S. You guys sure get on some nice fishing. Love to hook up with you guys someday.
Yah, the boat is currently sleeping, but every now and again I swear I here it dreaming out loud, OHHHHH let me float again, please!!!!lol

Jim W

Open water isn't too far away. You can meet us down in Red Wing this spring. There is still some ice fishing left, but I'm anxious to get back in the boat.

That was a nice perch, flyingfish. I caught one like that over Christmas near Bemidji. 14.5" and of 2.1 lbs according to my digital scale. At first I thought it was a walleye coming up the hole, and holy moly! I was freaked out when I saw it. It was full of black spots, hardly any color and it look like it was infested with worms...she went back down the hole to get bigger! Caught it in the same chain of lakes the state record perch came from, so there might be larger ones!!!

Nice fish CD. Like Scott said, we're still looking for the ones to break the 2lb mark. We know where we can find them. It's just a matter of putting in our time.

[This message has been edited by flyingfish (edited 01-29-2003).]

I suppose we won't be getting any hints on where that might be? smile.gif I've been reading about where you guys have been!! wink.gif LOL

My friend knows where 2lb+ perch are in potholes in North Dakota, says it's way easy!!

We also caught many beauties on LOW couple weeks ago. If I remember right, my buddy caught one that weighed 1.7lbs or something, and I spaced the measurements (too much beer at the time) I have photos of it. Maybe try there! I have GPS.....

Wasn't this forum about the holes??? Oops..

That perch was freaky big!! Man, it was almost scary. It was a true trophy. The same lake has produced 3 1.5 lb's but we are after the ones over 2lbs...and we keep trying.

Open water?? Can't get here soon enough! New boat arrives Valentines Day!!

[This message has been edited by Scott Steil (edited 01-29-2003).]