• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What line to use?

Shorelunch

Not the most important question in the world, but what else is there to do before ice out?

I have three rods/reels. What line would you recommend using to rig them for primarily walleye fishing?

1) G Loomis spinning medium action used primarily used for jigging.

2) Berkley spinning medium action used for jigging and Lindy rigging

3) Shimano baitcast medium (maybe medium heavy) used for trolling bottom bouncers, crankbaits.

Thanks.

Shorelunch -
This is a little different twist on your question.

On your jigging stick I'd stay with mono - I like Trilene XT, unless you're fishing stained or dirty water - then I'd go with a high visibility line because you'll see bites much easier. I don't have as much confidence in the hi-vis lines in water with good clarity. That may be a personal problem cause I have seen others do well.

For slip sinker rigs - Power Pro with a 4 or 6 lb. diameter would be my first choice and Fireline second. The key for me with superbraids is using a longer rod (6'6"+) with a fast tip. You can feel everything with these lines.

Cranks & bottom bouncers - I'd also use a superbraid.

I currently have 3 reels with extra spools for each and have one spooled with mono and one with superbraid. I use superbraids whenever I can but have done better jigging with mono when the bite is light.

Cabela's usually has 2 pails full of spare spools in the bargain cave and I've been fortunate to find a couple there.

So, if understand this right, most people would use a mono for jigging and a Fireline for trolling bottom boucers or crankbaits? I've also seen Fireline used for jigging, too.

Here's another curve ball. Has anyone used Ironsilk or Sensation? What application?

I would suggest using a "superline" for your jig rod also. It has little to no stretch and far better sensitivity as compared to mono. You want to feel the light bites better and be able to feel what is going on down there when your jigging. No stretch= better hook sets. Just my .02

I have Spiderwire Fusion on all my rods except my bobber rods, they are spooled up with P-line mono. I have three rods that have a slow action with P-line mono that I use for shallow rigging or jigging. The less line I have out, the desire for low-stretch fast action rods decreases.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here