• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vexilar FL-22 HD - Consumer Reviews

OnIce

I read in a couple of places that the new Vexilar FL-22 was supposed to be announced at a banquet last Friday (4-9-10).

Has anyone seen any information on it yet?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A short list of the new features in the FL-22 HD.

HD.

A first, the ability to fine tune power and fine tune the pulse length to best fit the specific situation your fishing.

1/8" Target separation in full mode, even less in zoom mode.

New 10 foot scale for ultra sensitive shallow water fishing.

25% less power usage/draw.

Bottom Lock (BL) Functionality

3 true beam angles in one transducer, 8 deg, 12. deg, and 20 deg.

10 levels of (IR) Interference Rejection.

....and more.

pics yet?

Ah..Nope.

We will need to wait tell the official break out date later this summer. If any pics from Mr. Genz's recent event at the Ice Fishing Hall of Fame "pop up", that would most likely be the only pics you will find tell then.

so far the only thing that stands out to me is it being "HD". Do that many people fish in less than 10fow and do you really need three beam angles. i love my fl-18, i just hope there is more to the new line of vexilars.

The HD processing and the BL function will serve you well, year around. 25% less power usage will lengthen time on the ice or water.

Now..imagine your FL-18, and then imagine it loaded with most of the features of the FL-20...but with the added feature of a 3-deam ducer, along with the new 1/8 target separation capability in full view mode.

I have been hoping to see some pics of this thing but I still don't see anything on Vexilar's site about it. You would think they would be a little more forthcoming about a sweet new product like that.

I suppose in October when the ice fishing publications come out, it will be all over them. I just wonder if I can hold off on getting a ice45 till then.

The price would likely vary on the type of package, or combination of extras included, just as in the rest of the line. As in the Genz Blue Box versus the Pro Pack or Ultra Pack.

The premier Ultra Pack configuration will all the extras will likely be in the $599 range.

Anyone know if the fl-22hd has adjustable zoom?

The zoom ranges remain at 6' and 12'.

But consider this once...with the new 1/8" target separation anywhere on the range scale, I'm not sure if a variable zoom is all that much of a concern really.

I say not a concern because now the ID is down to only 2 line segments, and when in the zoom range 1 line segment and 1/16th target ID. 2 line segments is preaty darn tight, anywhere on the scale. And that is as tight as my eyes will ever likely be able to see from my operators position on the ice or in the boat, zoom or no zoom.

Once a fish has it's lips 1/8 or a 1/16th away from your lure, it's all up to the fish's sense of smell and taste, as they likely can't even see the offering anymore as it is too close to there mouth. And at this point for the operator/fisherman other factors such as line feel and visual acuity very quickly take precedence.

A $600 flasher. Gimme a break. A guy can buy a gps/sonar combo from either lowrance or 'bird for $600-650!

exactly my thinking...is this flasher really worth $150 more then the FL 20? not in my honest opinion.... the prices on these high end flashers are absolutely ridiculous.... is this unit going to catch you more fish then a marcum lx 1/humminbird 35/vex fl8? NO!

remember, people went decades without using any type of flasher for fishing and did just fine... yes, using a flasher gives you an advantage... but the advantage you get from using a FL 20 from a baseline flasher is basically just splitting hairs...