• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frog Migration?

What the heck is all this talk about frogs doin' something in the fall? What does it mean to me, as a fall fisherman?

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

RobertC --
I expected someone else to reply, but since it hasn't happened, here's my take (based on minimal knowledge).

As a fisherman it is of importance if you want to seek the predators that move into the shallows when frogs migrate to bodies of water for winter hibernation. Lots of fish (I'm told) gobble up leopard frogs as the hopping critters seek a soft place to dig in for the cold months.

I live in rural Wright County on the Clearwater chain and have seen quite a few leopard frogs the past couple weeks hopping their way toward water. Road kill gets obvious. My fishing right now is on hold until we get ice, so I'm not chasing frogs.

Just a little story my dad used to tell me. Back in the 70's he used to catch frog's in the fall and put down his ice hole at first ice. He usually fished in about 6 feet of water and these frogs would bury themselves in the mud. Needless to say, the walleyes would be there for about two weeks gorging themselves on frogs and dad's fatheads! Never tried it myself but you got to believe your own dad, don't you?