• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Norb Wallock

I read the eulogy to Norb. I didn't know him, but by looking at his picture and his story he seemed much too vibrant to have his dreams cut short.
I work as a surgical nurse. Once or twice a week we preforme surgery on men in their 50s who have Esophageal Cancer. Quite often their only medical history is that they've had GERD- Gastro-Esophageal-Reflux-Disease. Also known as acid-reflux,it's most commonly known as chronic heartburn
These are healthy active men who thought that takeing Tums and Rolaids on a daily basis was normal. It is not! Despite those cutesy comercials from antacid companies, chronic heartburn can be indicitive of a serious problem.
Your stomach lineing prevents the acid from burning. Otherwise 100% of people would have heartburn 100% of the time. Heartburn occurs when stomach acid comes in contact with the esopagus (reflux).
Chronic heartburn,awakend in the middle of the night with a burning in the back of the throat, oor wheezing in the middle of the night(often misdiagnosed as asthma). Do yourself and your family a favor and see your doctor.
As I said, I didn't know Norb or his history, but it sounds like he was a man who was fulfilling his dreams.May his family find love and peace. His illness may not have been related to GERD at all. But I disregarded my heartburn for many years, and now at 52 with tissue changes in my esophagus I wish I would have acted sooner.

God Bless and save a few 'eyes for me next spring