• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishin' the river this winter: let's talk boat prep.

Dan97

Keep your batteries warm. I've even gone as far as keeping them in the truck until I was ready to launch. Last year I put them in the boat(outside) the night before. By the time I got to the river, the cold weather had gotten the best of them. Also, be careful your bilge pumps don't freeze. They won't work like they do in the summer! I wasn't careful last winter and had to replace both in the spring.

------------------
Tonka Boy

Another thing I had some problems with on my Yamaha 115 this past spring.....the water pump wouldn't work. Now when I pull the boat out, I make sure to put the motor vertical to allow the water in the lines to drain out all the way.

------------------
I fish.....Therefore I grovel.

Here....Fisheeeeeeee!!

Cold weather will not affect you're motor too much. Make sure you've got good clean plugs and fresh gas. But when you take the boat out, it's absolutely imperative that you're lower unit is not taking on water. Check it frequently to make sure the fluid is up to snuff. Water in the gear case can freeze and split the gearcase. I ran my old 50 Merc 500 in freezing temps, no problem with it but did I get cold!

A lot of good advice so far. Placing the motor verticle should get the water to flow from the head and allow the whole thing to drain properly. Another thing we would do is to run the motor for a couple of seconds to get the water pump to purge the last bit out of it. Don't go too long or damage to the pump could occur.
Don't forget about Pool 2 for winter fishing. Unless it get below zero we have been able to keep the 494 access open and usable. Sometimes a ridge will form at the end of the ramp but we use smaller boats and are able to get them into the water. Also carry a bag of sand and salt in your vehicle in case someone ices the ramp. Allow your boat and trailer to drain a bit at the end of the ramp before pulling away.
Dino

Another thing you might want to do is disconnect your waterlines from the speedometer and water pressure guage (if you have one) to prevent damage if your lines freeze.

Jimmy

[This message has been edited by Jimmy (edited 10-12-2002).]

I live in Red Wing, just before freeze change your lower unit. If there is no water in it dont worry about it. Every time you come out of the water, lower the motor let all the water out, maybe start the motor out of water to spit everything out. I also do not use my livewells in the winter Ive seen the lines crack and what a pain to get at.
My boat is in the garage with the door open all year not in a heated garage and I have had ZERO problems so hope to see you soon!

[This message has been edited by B Sander (edited 10-12-2002).]

I make sure all the linkages are well lubricated as well as the control cables. It only takes a tiny bit of water to freeze them up like concrete in weather below 32. That is a major pain!

Dielectric grease is handy to coat connections on your electronics as well as fuse links. The change in hot to cold tends to cause connection complications and the grease helps to limit this.

Drain and maintain your lower unit, watch for water as others have recommended. I fog my water intake from time to time in cold weather to coat the water pump and help prevent freezing, WD-40 works fine to do this.

Run a good fuel stabalizer in you gas, one your motors manufactuer will back under warrentee, be sure to ask.

Dress warm & Catch lots of fish.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red