• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How 'bout this one?

From "Splash" - National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame:

Ron Casner, Apache Junction AZ, caught a 17.46 pound largemouth from Canyon Lake. He had previously caught a 16.2 pound fish from the same lake. The fish appeared to beat the existing state record of 16.78 pounds.

By the time he boated the fish and returned to the marina to weigh the fish on a certified scale, the marina was closed. The fish, if indeed certified as a state record, would be eligible for a $50,000 prize.

He wanted to release the fish, but still wanted to weigh it, so he made the nine-mile trip to Apache Junction to a market where he weighed the fishand returned to the lake to release the fish.

Arizona has a regulation prohibiting the transport of live fish and, as a result of violating this regulation, the state would not recognize the record. They did not fine Casner, which they could have done, figuring the loss of the state record and loss of prize and endorsements was adequate punishment.

I dont agree with that. I that case he just wanted to give someone else the chance to catch a record fish its not like he brought it to another body of water would that really hurt anything?

And if so what about fishing tournaments they put the fish in a big boat with a arator tank thats on shore they keep the fish in there til i think the weight in is over then bring them back to the water, so i bet that the fish in the tournement have been out of the water longer then that bass was.
Whats so wrong with that and why did he tell anyone anyway? Blockhead...should have said it was going on the wall.
My opinion is he got screwed

That in itself is a paradox: Transport of live fish. This means that in order to certify a Legal record the fish would have to be dead. (thus in order to "transport" the fish to a certified weighing center the fish would have to be transported off the lake (even if it was a couple of feet) So thus unless there was a certifed weighing center floating in the middle of the lake, or you just happened to have someone that was certified to weigh the fish with a certifed scale on your boat; it would be impossible to weigh in a legal, state record fish alive. Talk about a nice conservation law, eh?

Unbelievable! Mr. Castner had all the best intentions, not to mention some obvious bass fishing savy, and he was visciously slapped in the face as a reward for his generous act. What a pity it is when you here a story like this. A lot of huge beautiful fish will likely be killed due to this law instead of being released back to the water.

I believe the same or similar rules and regulations would apply in Minnesota. Wouldn't an exception for "transporting fish for live certified weighing and release into the water it came from" make sense? It does to me, because if I were lucky enough to catch the big bass, walleye, or whatever, I'd surely like the recognition as well as setting the example of releasing a trophy fish! I'd just like to be able to do it legally.

Musky Hunter,
You are correct. All fish must be killed before transportation. It is a violation to transport live fish in your livewell. If you think you have a state record fish, you have to kill it to find out. So much for catch and release.
EconGuy

As I recall, that huge muskie caught on Leech a few years back was taken in the boat's live-well, on the trailer, to a certified scale -- then transported back and released. But, $50,000 was not at stake.

Incidentally, I've heard from a couple Leech area residents that the "Leech muskie" was actually caught in a smaller, nearby lake that the guide didn't want publicized.

But, would you have killed the bass for 50K?

There is one Dillema I would face in releasing a record fish. I would love to return such a fish back to the water; but if it was caught in any lake I would be afraid that if it was released and publized as being released.. some people would flock to the lake in masses and ruin the fishery trying to catch the "record fish" swimming in it. Kinda a side effect, but it is true. I know numerous ponds that used to hold Walleye here but are now almost completly exhausted of fish due to over-fishing.

There is one Dillema I would face in releasing a record fish. I would love to return such a fish back to the water; but if it was caught in any lake I would be afraid that if it was released and publized as being released.. some people would flock to the lake in masses and ruin the fishery trying to catch the "record fish" swimming in it. Kinda a side effect, but it is true. I know numerous ponds that used to hold Walleye here but are now almost completly exhausted of fish due to over-fishing.

I have wondered about that myself? I would do the same as he did if I caught a record walleye form the Red or a channel cat, I would wish to release it alive.

The way the live catch and transport regulations read I think the same would happen here in ND or MN?

Man, that would be a bummer Eh!

I think about the only way to be safe would be to have a state game official come to you at the waters edge and weigh the fish there? But then I still think if you release it you are capable of being sighted for detaining a fish and culling to long after the catch?

That may be at the descretion of the official at hand, either way it is a catch 22.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://fishingminnesota.com/ed-on-the-red