• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Patterning Info, Results and Questions.

Borch

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that this thread is a little bit old, but Winchester came out with a really, really nice turkey load a few years back, Longbeard XR.  I went from putting 15 to 20 pellets in the killzone(head and neck) at 35yards, to well over 50!  T about $2 each, the shells aren't cheap, but are you really going to argue over an additional dollar per bagged bird? Don't just take my word for it. There are a number of independent third party reviews available on line. In my opinion, there's not a better lead load on the market.

They are a pretty popular load right not and are kicking out some impressive patterns for a lot of hunters.  Good to hear they are working out for you.  The whole idea of encasing the shot in a solid epoxy that shatters when shot is pretty innovative.  

A couple additional notable loads are the introduction of 7 shot tungsten based loads that are real players int eh turkey woods.

Hevishot came out with 7 shot in their Hevi 13 loads and it is a devastating load on turkeys out of 45 yards.  Even though they are smaller they still get great penetration given the smaller surface area.  About the same time they came out with their blend loads with 5, 6, 7 shot and what a great combo with the bigger shot for extra knockdown and the small shot filling in any voids in the pattern.  These two additions really have made the 20 gauge guns major players out beyond 40 yards when the right choke is added.  Just be sure to get a good sighting option as they are very tight inside of 20 yards.  In a 20 gauge a choke of .555-.575 and in a 12 gauge .655-.665 seem to shine.  

Federal Cartridge added their heavyweight turkey loads which are even denser than the HeviShot pellets.  They have a 7 shot option that has similar penetration results at 50 yards as #5 lead shot has at 40 yards.  Test result have shown that in a 20 gauge a non ported choke between .550-.575 is where this loads shines.  In a 12 gauge a .655-.670 non ported choke seems to pattern best.

This year Federal Cartridge came out with the third degree load with 20% #6 shot flitestopper lead for close range, 40% #5 lead shot for mid range and 40% #7 heavyweight tungsten for longer ranges.  I haven't tried these yet but friend who have have been impressed with the patterns and performance they've been getting.  It's available in both 20 and 12 gauge.

Just a little more updated information which I had planned on adding earlier but just didn't get it in there.