• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Scream

DARK30

I know this subject may be considered amusing and funny to most but to me, it is one that I am extremely offended by and hits very close to home. Coldone, where the h*** do you come off with these absurd and idiotic comments. I realize this post will most likely lead to this thread being closed but my gosh coldone, get your facts straight before turning on your computer next time. Okay I will cut to the chase, I have spent almost every day of my 20 years of life on my family's DAIRY FARM, working my butt off to put dairy products on the shelves for you all to enjoy, while not getting much in return. MILK has put clothes on my back, food in my stomach, and a fishing rod in my hand, so don't you dare even say that milk is depleting our fisheries. My gosh, I am in college majoring in Fisheries Management, and I come from a Dairy Farm, and your absurd comments are the first of its kind I have ever heard linking the two together. Oh wait, maybe that is next chapter when we disuss those horrible bovines threatening to put an end to our wonderful fisheries here in Minnesota. Now to another bone I have to pick. If all these horrible "cancer" causing ingredients really are in this milk that I am producing, then the USDA better jump on their horse and get some labels on these cartons of milk, "Warning:this product may cause cancer" Get real coldone. Or these pesticides in milk, well I can obviously see you have never witnessed the process that takes place ever milking. And if you have you sure as h*** weren't paying a bit of attention. Every single teat on every single cow during every single milking is individually washed with a non-toxic, non-cancer causing, non harmful soap. Therefore removing any "pesticide" residue and whatever else you think may be in this cancerous milk. And if that is not enough for you every drop of milk that gets to the shelves is intensively filtered before it ever gets off the farm. It just ticks me off when you basically stated that all dairy farmers take little care in how they collect their milk. And if not that is sure what you are making it look like. So as for you coldone, I sure hope that you never drink a drop of milk, consume any cheese, yogurt, butter, steak, hamburger and list goes on and on, cuase hey, we don't want you getting cancer. For the rest of you, you go ahead and sit down with that nice slice of pizza a glass of milk and enjoy, and think of us dairy farmers that put endless hours into ensuring that the best possible product reaches your home. Good fishin, LaVoi

Coldone, I believe your knowledge of cattle and cattle management is from PETA articles, which are very untruthfully.
I would like to invite you to study also the Beef Council, any US state Livestock association, any state Dairy Association.

I raised beef cattle for many years and heard many complaint from people that watches Discovery channel too much, I can tell you the truth is far from everybody reads. I even saw an article from PETA supporters obtaining a grant of $ 400,000 to study cow burps....that's good money investiment, then they claimed it has an impact on ozone layer....

Dairy cattle (needed for milk production) rarely drink from streams, since they are enclosed to a confined area because they need to be milked twice per day.

I think we should have a big PETA meeting in Iraq, let's say.....in a month or 2... grin.gif ... right when we strike.

If you haven't heard, many "flag burners" belong to this group, read the thread "Tips for civilians from the military"

LaVoi, you are doing fine, don't let these people get to you..

Val

[This message has been edited by Valv (edited 09-24-2002).]

I like milk and I like beer. I like meat (red or white) and I like fish. Now if you listen to the experts you're going to starve to death. So lets Drink milk and beer, Eat meat and cheese and go fishing and die from Mercury. Live Long and have some fun guys. I am. grin.gif

I like milk and I like beer. I like meat (red or white) and I like fish. Now if you listen to the experts you're going to starve to death. So lets Drink milk and beer, Eat meat and cheese and go fishing and die from Mercury. Live Long and have some fun guys. I am. grin.gif

Ok, so let me get this straight. You can't go outside because of the UV rays and cancer. You can't stay inside because of the radon and cancer. You can't breath the air because of the pollutants and cancer. You can't drink the water because of the PCB's and cancer. You can't eat the meat because of the fat/hormones and cancer. You can't eat fish because of mercury and cancer. You can't eat the vegetables because of the pesticides and cancer. Hmmm. It seems to me that actually RESEARCH causes cancer. Pretty soon we'll find out that saliva causes cancer, but only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time. To h### with it, I'm going fishing!!

Okay, I have to step in! This has gone overboard. Opinions are fine, but please make sure you read everything in a individuals post beofre making a fool out of yourself, getting all bent out of shape and personally attacking them!

Have something political that you need to argue, there is a forum for it!!

What's the point, go fishing while you still can!!!!

Happy Days are here again, it's FALL!!!!!!

Jim W

PS> Fish do scream you know!

[This message has been edited by Jim W (edited 09-25-2002).]

O.K. All,
Lets clear the air a bit, and stick to the facts and the subject. To clear up some asumptions that may or may not have been insinuated toward me; I have spent more than my fair share of time on a dairy farm, milking cows, cultivating fields, applying fertilizer and pesticides to crops, cutting and baling hay, working the books, I have been involved in all aspects of dairy and beef production, and know them very well from first hand experience. I am a decorated veteran of the United States Army, I have served my time to help protect our freedom (Got Gasoline?). I am not young and I am not naive. I am college educated, I hold baccalaureate degrees in both biology and conservation, I love nature, the outdoors in general, and most of all fishing. I am willing to continue discussions here with anyone willing to discuss facts, If you would like to discuss information related to the impact of agriculture on fish and wildlife habitat, I am more than willing. I think this thread may have the potential to become a real eye opener to more than a few folks. We need to discuss and debate the issues in a civil manner, If you are unfamiliar with the rules of this forum, I would ask that you review them for the benefit of us all. This is a great HSOforum, hosted by a generous group of folks dedicated to allowing for civil discussions on all sorts of topics related to fishing and the great outdoors, lets respect that, and keep the great dialog that has become a tradition on this site going!

To reiterate and clarify my point, (and tangental diatribe) I find the information on the impacts of agriculture on fish and wildlife habitat to be most alarming, an issue for every sportsman to at least consider. I am willing to discuss and debate the various aspects of this issue, as the future of our beloved past-time will to some extent be impacted by agricultural activities. If we can continue with a civil discussion, perhaps this thread will be of some usefullness, If we can not be civil, better it become "locked".

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 09-25-2002).]

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 09-25-2002).]

Fact, go ahead and look it up.

Organic waste from cattle and other livestock, pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and agricultural salts and sediments are the primary non-point sources of water pollution in the U.S.

What is the solution, anybody willing to cut back a little on the consumption of animal products so that in the future you and/or your children might be able to enjoy clean lakes and streams?

Any other solutions out there?

Coldone, let it rest, there is no sense killing each other over issues where one fact contraddicts another. For every study you find about something, there's one saying exact opposite. I am a STRONG anti PETA and any sort of environmental extremism, so anytime I see that name mentioned, I get irated, very irated.

We disagree on some issues, but reducing the consuption of anumal products it's definitely wrong, besides it's not just hamburgers and milk, as you know there's a lot more.

I agree with Jim W.....let's go fishing.... smile.gif

Bumper Sticker Philosophy:

If God didn't intend for us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them of meat.

Ancient Dictionary from cave-man era:

Vegetarian - (noun) terrible hunter, but excellent gatherer

Carnivore - (noun) excellent hunter, but terrible gatherer

Omnivore - (noun) decent hunter, and decent gatherer

Nah... Northerns and Carp scream drags better than cats... Cats like to wiggle and stay on the bottom. But they do grunt. Shoulda heard the scream when I hooked into even a 5lb northern with ultralite panfish jigging rod through the ice... Musta stripped off 75 yards off the spool before he decided to stop...

All in Moderation keeps everything in balance i believe. just like too many vitamins can kill you. For every action there is a reaction. There is a good and a bad to everything. take care everyone keep on fishing and enjoy the site