• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fish Scream

DARK30

Did you know that when you catch a fish it screams?....A good friend of my wife told me this and she was serious! Therefore, We should not be causing these poor animals all this undue pain by fishing for and hooking a fish.

My wife does not hold these same views and they are still good friends. I have a little fun with the situation when our friend is over to visit....Like,"Well,I'm gonna go put out my cruel and inhumane minnow traps now...see ya" and "At least I can make a fish scream!"

Lets not forget that people in this country are free to believe what they want but Holy Cow! (Thats a whole nuther thing).

BTW....About being free to burn the Flag? I think if you want to "burn one"...I guess your free to do so but I would say be careful where you do it and who sees you. try this: Walk onto an aircraft with an upside down flag on your back.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Geez....Maybe you should get her out to MilleLacs when the indians are spearing all those walleyes...if they 'scream' when they're hooked what do they do when they're "impaled" while spawning??? Maybe they holler...."OOOoooo that hurts so good"!
LMAO @ people like that!!!! smile.gif

I know this seems off the subject, but it does relate to fishing; I am not a fan of PETA, but just to clear up some misinformation, PETA ran an ad campaign directed at COLLEGE kid's promoting beer as a healthier beverage than milk. The thing is, consumed in the same quantities as one would drink milk, it is a healthier choice. Milk is laden with saturated fat, hormones, Dead white blood cells (pus), pesticide residue, dioxin, antibiotic residue, and it's main protein, casein is nearly undigestible (casein is also used to make glue), milk has been linked to a number of health problems including, alergies, asthma, cancer, and heart disease. While beer is usually produced with pure water, has no saturated fat or any of the other nasties that milk has, and it tastes better! Milk (and big dairy corporations) is subsidized by the federal government, to the tune of an absurd amount of OUR money. The US produces such an excess of milk (thanks to low subsidized prices - that make corporations rich and drive farmers out of business) that if you read labels, shows up in nearly every processed food product.

I feel that the production of milk is in direct conflict with my interests as a conservation oriented fisherman and outdoor enthusiast. The production of milk requires vast tracts of land to produce cereal grains to feed the cows. Those fields are treated with fertilizer and pesticides, which can runoff with rainwater, polluting our lakes and streams, also barnyard runoff can contribute to water pollution as well. If you have every witnessed a large herd of cows watering in a trout stream, you know the impact of these beasts on the environment in general. Cows have displaced all types of wildlife with their excessive lifestyle, and will continue to do so as long as the corporations are pumping milk into consumers and double dipping into their pocketbooks...

I simply must have milk! Besides, after a big chunk of beef, potatoes and gravy, veggies, and a couple big glasses of milk....You can drink alot more beer!

I remember going with my grandpa into town with 4 or 5 cans of milk to the creamery. I always thought we were just trading it for some ice cream.

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

yeah.. BUT Milk can't: A. Get you Thrown in Jail if you attempt to drive after drinking it... (or even worse the possiblity of vehicular manslaughter *shudder*) B. Make you lose your focus and perhaps go into a rage (depending on what kind of Drunk you are..) and thus also land you in jail.. and C. You can't get a hangover from drinking milk either. Plus beer has no Calcium or vitamins either... hmmn.. and being drunk won't help college students study for exams either.. lets see.. is it.. 8 glasses a day they say to drink? Unless your 7' tall and weigh somewheres around 350 lbs you'd be constatnly drunk at some point at any given day.

Here's a theory: Cattle can actually help to IMPROVE stream quality.
Now I'm sure this is another example of all things in moderation but there was actually an article in the MN Conservation Volunteer (i think) a year or more ago about the impact of grazing cattle on lands bordering trout streams. The basic message was that SOME impact by cattle can actually help reduce erosion by compacting the stream banks and promoting natural vegetation growth.
Hmmmm? Milk, cheese, ice cream - it's all good. Lots of stuff we eat has been 'proven' to be bad for us. As for me I enjoy dairy products as well as beer! All things in moderation. Besides, the stuff just tastes good - and I prefer to die happy!

"don't forget that besides the 'water' in beer...the other ingredients are grains...requiring vast tracts of land, pesticides etc...."

While it is true that beer is made from grains and that grains are fed to cows who produce milk. What is important to remember is the quantities we are talking about. Seventy percent of all U.S. grain, and one third of the world's total grain harvest -- is fed to cattle and other livestock. In comparison, the worlds production of all alcohol (remember alcohol is also produced for fuel and other purposes) uses ten times less cropland. And if you only compare US land used for milk production vs. US land used for beer production, the amount used to produce beer would be nearly insignificant.

It is the raising of animals and crops to feed the animals that is a direct threat to fish and other wildlife habitat. Organic waste from cattle and other livestock, pesticides, chemical fertilizers, and agricultural salts and sediments are the primary non-point source of water pollution in the U.S.

To suggest that beer production is as environmentally destructive as milk production is just incredibly naive and a very weak arguement indeed.

To suggest that beer is a healthier habit than milk is incredibly naive and a very weak argument indeed!!! In fact, I think it's pure nonsense......besides, despite what they say, it don't taste worth a darn on Frosted Flakes!!! grin.gif

LOL Is this great or what! The topic of screaming fish has become a debate about milk vs Beer! Yes i would prefer milk over beer on my frosted flakes... But when i am enjoying a large broadway pizza I would rather wash it down with a frosty beer rather than a tall glass of calcium just my opinion!!

My main point: Agricultural runoff (a good majority (>70%) is the result of current animal production) is the primary non-point source of water pollution in the U.S.

Meaning with each glass of milk or slice of pizza(or any other dairy product) you are supporting the degradation of fish and wildlife habitat.

While it may or may not be true about livestock and streambanks, there are many other aspects of animal production that contribute to water pollution. Any reduction in stream bank erosion is likely outweighed by the pollution contributed by those same livestock. The article only mentions streambank erosion if I recall, and ignores nearly all of the other impacts of livestock on water quality.

SATCHMO, I would also like to hear and debate any supporting evidence you might have to suggest that in 2-3 servings of dairy per day (recommended by the USDA) is any healthier than 2-3 servings of beer per day. Particularly how it relates to fish and wildlife habitat, I am willing to take on the human health and nutrition aspects as well.

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 09-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 09-25-2002).]