• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Guess the weight and win a prize!!!!

Dan97

Well there's no prize, sorry, but could you please help me out here?

Last week, while at my buddy's camp near Ear Falls, (yes that's Canada) I caught a couple rather large pike. For me anyways. The first was a touch over 40". And VERY bulky through the mid section. The second was a crudely measured 49" monster. Not quite the half century mark. It took my whole 36" measure stick and a inline planer board plus a 1.5oz snap weight with release stretched out, to complete her length. This too was a VERY thick, saggy bellied fish. They were both caught while long-lining for walleyes. Both of these girls went back to fight again another day.

Eyes I know, pike I don't. I have NO clue. That's why I need your help. What do you think the weights of these two pike are?

Dan

Pictures? Maybe, on the smaller of the two. Another boat near by helped me out. No, on the larger. No one was close by and time was running out fast. One of the drawbacks of fishing solo I guess.

------------------
[email protected]

Minn DNR prints a "weigh your fish with a ruler" guide, but it only goes up to 42 inches for northern pike. A 42-inch pike in Minn waters is believed to average 21.2 lbs.

Yours is, indeed, a hog. Probably over 30 if it was, as you say, heavy bodied.

Congrats on a fine catch.

Awesome fish!!! According to my formula, the 49 incher should have been around 33 Lbs!!! The formula I used is LxLxL/3500 (L=length). Congrats on the fish...man thats a HOG....I may have had to mount that one...or at least taken girth measurements and had a reproduction made. Holy cows thats a BEAST!

If this works, here's a pic of the smaller of the two pike. The only thing is that you can't see how THICK through the body she was.
pike0001.jpg

WOW!!! I guess I found a way to make the pics LARGER!!!! And notice the HAT?
------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 09-04-2002).]

Hey ,Nice picture there! Good thing you didn't get one of that big one, the picture woulda weighed 2 pounds even! haha.

Hey, if you ever get back to that lake and need a photographer on board, let me know, as long as I can sneak out a few cast in between pictures, I will gladly volinteer wink.gif

Cyb

Nice northerns ... wish I could have been there.

I dont know how much this will help but an exceptionally stocky musky I had caught at one time was 48 1/4" and had a girth of almost 30" .. the fish weighed up on a certified digital scale at 39 1/2 pounds about 2 hours after it left the water. I was young and kept the fish for mounting... but 3 years later I released a 54" fish(and all muskies I caught after the mount) in the same body of water.

Nice fish!!! One thing that is very important with getting a accurate weight with a measurment only method on a northern or muskie, is that you get the girth. This type of fish can very considerably in weight even thought the lenght may be the same. The DNR's measurment formula does not take grith into consideration. There are web sites out there that offer formulas with grith. You should be able to get a close guess of the grith by taking a measurements of your hand size and other things that you now still can measure even though the fish was released. Good luck!!!!

------------------
Just Having Fun!
Love to Fish.

Dan

Nice Fish!!!! Congrats!

I recently got a 29" NP in Wisconsin. The
DNR formula says it went 7#. Yet a guy w/
a brand new digital scale (supposedly accurate) weighed and it was right about
5#. I would have to agree that girth is
very important.

UG