• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My favorite Latin phrase

Deligo Piscim Cum Oculi Luminosis

I'm thinking of plastering it on one side of my boat. But if I do, then I think I kinda need another phrase to go on the other side. I've considered "Piscoro Ergo Existum". Anyone have any other ideas?

Clayton D,

Let's see how close I can get to translating what you mean.

Literal translation: No illigitmate boat.

What we would say in modern American English: There's no such thing as a bad boat.

My closest interpretation to your meaning: ANY BOAT IS A GOOD BOAT.

If this is close, then I really like "Non Piscim Illigitimi" i.e. "Any fish is a good fish".

How'd I do? I'm not a Latin expert, just enough of a novice to be dangerous.

Clayton

After seeing your translation it does make sense. I made the mistake of taking "carbarundum" to be derived from "carabus" which is a boat. However, here is your translation.

Non is a negative term such as "no", In this case it works as the word "don't".

The illigitimi are obviously the illigitmate ones or the B--t-rds.

Okay the complex word "carbarundum":
Careo = deprive
Bar = savage (this is the base word for barbarian)
undum: implies this is an action toward you

So the literal translation would be: Don't let the b----rds savagely deprive you.

As you can see your translation works.

Okay back to what to put on the other side of my boat. How about "PISCATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE"?

Your Latin is a great deal better than mine. What I've given is a favorite saying from years past -- to wit: "Don't Let the Bast...s grind you down." Obviously a corruption from the original Latin.

Not sure, I made it up. "Carpe" from carpe dium, and the second is the latin word for a walleye. "Sieze the walleyes" sorry if I am wrong, never took any latin.

------------------

"Any fish is a good fish" just comes to close to disparaging the species which consumes my quest, and that's just soooo against my nature to disparage the beloved walleye. I may have to go with:
SOLA STIZOSTEDIUM