• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Walleye Opener 2010: Where and why?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Ottertail County. Going to see some family and fish, killing two birds with one stone. The lake I choose will depend on water temps. If the spring keeps going the way it is, it looks like it will be Otter Tail lake but if it cools off I have a couple of small lakes up my sleeve.

Headed to Vermillion on Sat. because that's where my fishing buddies will be. Headed to Red Sun - Wed. because the fishing is awesome. Then St. Louis River Thurs. or Fri. because the crowds thin out, and then a camping trip to Basswood on Sun to Thursday because I happened to luck on to a overnight motor permit last week and the fishing is good and there are no bugs.

Wow, looks like it's going to be a good week for you Down Deep. I think I will be on the St. Louis River braving the crowds. I'm thinking about trying to find a place to dock my boat on the river for the week to avoid the zoo at the boat landing.

Wow, looks like it's going to be a good week for you Down Deep.

It will be two weeks of vacation after 8 months without a break from work except for weekends and a two days off for a trip to Canada last Jan. I'm ready to leave now.

Where: A wedding

Why: My cousin decided she had to get married on FISHING OPENER frown

(Is fishing a legitimate excuse to miss a wedding?)

I should be heading to Winnie the following weekend.

Miss it only if you want to take, you know what, from the whole family for the next 50 years.

There are those unfortunate souls who, for some reason, are not enlightened and can't see the need for the sport of fishing.

Hello from UPNORTH! Lake Vermilion iced out on April 6th! Earliest ice out on record! DNR already netting and stripping eyes. If weather holds we should have ideal conditions for opener! If you consider heading up this way...be aware it has snowed the last 3 opening mornings! Don't get any better than this!

Lake Vermilion!! No crowds, Great fishing...Our group has been opening on Vermilion for 20 plus years! Most of thev guys don't hunt. This is our "Deer Camp".Last years prize, caught 5 am by our 13 year old..29 3/4" walleye

which lake vermilion are you going to that doesnt have crowds on opener???? I dont think Ive ever been to that one.

Going to the cabin on Kabetogama. Its gonna be a zoo. Hopefully I can get away from the crowds because I might have 3 other boats with me and 9 or 10 guys. Just kind of hoping that the weather is better than last year because last year was not pretty.

Originally Posted By: BFJ
Lake Vermilion!! No crowds, Great fishing...Our group has been opening on Vermilion for 20 plus years! Most of thev guys don't hunt. This is our "Deer Camp".Last years prize, caught 5 am by our 13 year old..29 3/4" walleye

which lake vermilion are you going to that doesnt have crowds on opener???? I dont think Ive ever been to that one.

Thats funny, i was just talking to my wifes uncle yesterday who has a cabin on Vermillion. I asked him if there was a lot of boats on Vermillion opening weekend and he said no, not at all.

igotworms.... Do you usually fish Whitefish on opener? I too have a cabin up there, (friends cabin) actually and out of tradition we always try and fish it for opener as well... Usually a very tough opener lake but with this unusual weather maybe itll give more than 2 or 3 up this year! Haha! So where do you usually fish in the morning? Ive actually had some of my better luck fishing off the first shelf off to the left of the entrance of Bertha Boat works! Its off the beaten path, but we pull a mixed bag of eyes, pike and some nice bass off that steep drop... I also pull cranks in the early morning along Big Trout's south shoreline.. Fewer fish caught, bu they are always nice ones!