• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Labor Day Tactics-Canada

Ret-ro

Heading up to the English river (Ontario)for a labor day trip. Any tips or techniques for the wally's for this time of year. Only been up in June before and 3/8 jigs and spinner rigs always produced well. Pike and Smallie tips also welcome.
Thank you for any help in advance.

Fish ONNNNNNNNNNn!!
Ret-ro smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

My dad and I were up north of the English river about 2 weeks ago. For walleye we did real well with spinner/crawler comb and with rapala's. Seems best colors were green, red or copper. Pike hit red/white jigs tipped with salted minnow or rapalas. Good luck!!
Paul S

Ret-ro,

How lucky are you? In my opinion...the best walleye waters around! I fish the English river near Ear Falls yearly. Look to the shallow(4-8') waters with crawler harnesses in rainbow, green, and occationally orange. If you're fortunate enough to fish in Ear Falls by the dam, stick to a jig/any bait combo. For some crankbait action, troll the shorelines littered with fallen trees. Use silver or gold Husky jerks.
Once in a while nature will make things tough. On these occations, look to one of the many small lakes branching off the river. Always check shallow first and move deeper as needed. Try heavy line on your snells. The northerns will bite them off if not. Have fun and be sure to post your results!

------------------
Tonka Boy

[This message has been edited by Tonka Boy (edited 08-28-2002).]

You've probably already left, but here's my read on the topic...

Just got back last night from the Ear Falls area. My friend owns Tall Pines Camp, just a touch south of Ears Falls. Anyway, I used ONLY cranks all week and had trouble catching eatters. Everything was too big. (3) over 7, (1) over 8 and (1) over 10. FYI... All were released except for the 8 that wouldn't come back around. The rest of the fish were anywhere from 16" to 25". I was long line trolling (mostly) Shads in water anywhere from 17 to 38 ft. Using snap weights in the deep stuff to nothing in the shallow water. Troll about 1 to 2.5 mph or as fast as you can and keep the the crank running true.

Slammed the eyes and had a few "kicker" 40"+ pike thrown in for fun. Even caught a 22" smallie this way. Go figure.

Hope this helps......Dan

------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 09-01-2002).]

Here's a pic of the 8+ that I couldn't release. She will be joining a replica of a 12.5# fish caught out of the same waters a few years back. These two girls will be residing in a glass and oak coffee table.

Thumbnail?u=4051857&a=30333165&p=6152758

(Sorry the image is so small. I'm trying to correct that.)
------------------
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 09-03-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Dan97 (edited 09-03-2002).]