• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Illinois fishing opportunities

I'm wondering if anyone has spent much time fishing in Illinois. I might be relocating to Naperville (near Chicago I guess) for career purposes. This might seem strange, but one of my key deciding factors is their quality of fishing. I don't want to have to drive 2 hrs to get my fishin' fix in. Do they have any great walleye fisheries like we do?

Any info you can provide would be very helpful. I also posted to the FM equivilant in Illinois (chicagolandfishing.com) for other opinions.

Thanks...

hi my girfreind just moved up here to minnesota from therte a year agao...she said there is not much good fishing by Naperville...she said the fox river is there but it not much good. wish i had better news for you...she said there is clubs there that stock ponds you could join. maybe somebody knows some more positive info for there

------------------
Dan

I lived on the south side for about 9 years before finally getting back to God's country. There's a large power plant cooling lake called Braidwood south west past Joliet along I55 that has some HUGE walleye in it that are very hard to catch. The only success I ever had was fishing the submerged road bed about 30 feet down. It's on the maps and easy to find with a locator. Because it's a cooling lake, the water temp gets to about 90 degrees in the summer. Most fish it for bass or pan fish. The nearest good walleye fisheries are north to WI and past Madison, about 3 1/2 hours from Naperville. Or head north to the Green Bay area instead. Either way, it's a ways to the kind of fisheries you're used to here. White bass is popular there in some of the cooling lakes, smallies in some of the rivers south of the city, large mouth in the southern part of the state. While Naperville is a nice area with good schools and Chicago can be a fun town with lots to do, fishing isn't high on the list of activities.
Sorry.

Hey W.D.,
I'm ffrom chicago. The Illinois River is
an excellent fishery for Saugers some walleye
White bass runs can be spectacular. The Fox River and Lake Michigan are becomeing known
for smallmouth. Lake Mich.is terrific for salmonn species. The Illinois River is probably 90 min. fro Napervill. The others are closer. There are electrical plant cooling lakes. That are probably an hour or so From Napervlle. The cooling lakes are well
stocked with Trophy bass, walleye, muskies.
Boat launches, rentals, and lots of shore fishing are available at the cooling lakes,which are all located near the interstates. You didn't mention if you had kids theres lots of forest preserves for pan-
fihisn for them. There are a lot of species
specific fishing clubs in this area not sure
I've heard of one for Walleyes tho. The Ill.
River hosts many walleye tourniments each year the catch tends to mostly saugers, the
catches in these tournements have been setting records the past couple of years. Most guys in the Chi. area go to Lake Erie or
Minn., and Wisc. if we want walleye.We have
good lakes for other species near where you'll be, change is good. You can buy some new tackle and stuff. If you can travel spend
a weekend let's say. Downstate has a lot of good fishing and hunting. Welcome to Illinois

P.S welcome to the tollroads

------------------
serenity Jack

A short hop to the north you will find Silver Lake (Kenosha County) for a variety of species, including muskies. In the county just west (Walworth) you'll find a bunch of small lakes, but also Geneva and Delavan -- both very popular with Illinois anglers, even tho in Wis (thus a non-res license). Naperville is close to the So. Wis. waters that are productive.

In Illinois there is the Chain-O-Lakes at Antioch, but also the Rock River to the west, and (as noted above) the Illinois River to the south. A great spot on the Illinois is at Starved Rock State Park, which can't be more than 1.5 hr from Naperville.

If you like the big water, Northpoint Marina just south of the Wis boundary is a super port for fishing Lake Michigan. The season starts early and runs late. Right now they are catching 25 lb king salmon that are staging outside the harbors and streams in advance of the spawning run -- cohos will follow, and there's good steelhead fishing into the winter months. Lake Michigan perch have been hurting, but are coming back.

In short, Naperville is not far from some great fishing opportunity. It's just not "north woods" environment.

PS -- you've checked some of the fishing comparisons, have you checked the difference in cost of living. You'll need a lot more to maintain your current lifestyle. Real estate is incredible.