• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fishing presentation to kids

Scoot

I'm being brought in as the local "expert" (this term must have been very loosely defined when they picked me) on fishing. I'll be presenting to about 60 kids between 8 and 13 years old. It'll be about 30 minutes long. Here's what I'm planning.
1) Discuss the common fish in the Red- I'll bring pictures from the internet, pictures of me with most of them, and maybe even a few of the fish if I can get there early enough to catch them and keep them in a bucket. I'll save the catfish for last and talk a little more about it. I have lots of great pictures to show that in previous talks have gone over well.
2) A hands on demonstration of how to tie a "fishing knot". I'll give each kid a 3 foot section of mono and help them get a clinch knot tied. I'll snip off the point and barb of each hook for this.
3) I'll spend about five minutes talking about catch and release and why it's really important for the future of fishing. I'll also stress that people who "really know what they doing" advocate C&R and that this impresses people- i.e. make it sound like a cool thing to do.

After that we'll head for the river and catch some fish.

What do people think??? Any brilliant suggestions. Anything I should add? Keep in mind I only have about 30 minutes. I probably have time for one more thing, demonstration, bit of info. etc.
Thanks,
Scoot

All I can say is your a great person for doing this,..we should do something like this in the metro,..a FishingMN.com & Big Brother Big Sister day.

Everyone with a boat could team up with a kid or maybe two and we could all fish the same lake some day.

Make sure you make it clear to them that fishing is suppose to be fun, and that is what we are all about!

------------------
fisherman2.gif

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-15-2002).]

Maybe a little spoo about treating the environment with the utmost respect, making sure they don't throw trash in the waters or leave garbage on shores. Could also stress that it's a sport/pastime that both men and women can enjoy and excel at. P.S. It's great thing you are doing!

One other little thing you might add to the sportsman's etiquette section of your talk.I've tried to teach my 2 kids to always take out more trash than we brought. In other words, if you see a pop can or a paper plate laying around carefully pick it up and discard it when we get back to a trash can.It's the little things.....

great job Scoot!

------------------

Grabs

If you're ever interested in taking kids out, check out GEM's HSOforum. We do this on a regular basis, summer and winter. We always have access to more kids than we have room in boats. If you're interested, you can contact any of us who are listed on the bottom of the GEM homepage. I'm the one listed as treasurer.

www.gemfishing.org

Wisconsin DNR has a formal angler education program in which they teach old guys like me how to teach angling skills to kids. It is a fine program and complements their urban fishing program. But, to your situation --

First -- start with some questions to do two things (1) find out where most of them are, and (2) get them actively involved.

Second -- focus on the one or two species they are most likely to catch. Ask questions of those who have caught fish, and explain how the target species behave.

Remember the old In-Fisherman formula the Lindners' publicized? F + L + P = S Or, fish (the target species and how they behave), location (where they are found where they live, and why), presentation (what to put in their faces if you want to catch them), and success. f l p = s

In teaching the knot skills, use a short piece of 1/8th inch cord and an eye-screw. This way you can demonstrate knot tying in front of the whole group and they can see what you are doing. Bring a couple kids up to help before getting them to work on their own.

Make it fun, have fun, and relax. Kids are a lot brighter than we often give credit, and they will stay on a topic if interested -- just check a kid's staying capacity on a computer game, and you'll believe it.

I would also give the kids an idea about selective harvest. It is also very important to good fisheries and is practiced by many sportsman. C&R is a good thing, but let them know it's not the only way. The DNR manage fisheries with harvest in mind and it should not be looked at or taught as a bad thing. Children are very impressionable and should see all sides to a sport like fishing.

Fishing is Life.

[This message has been edited by Bodyman (edited 08-15-2002).]

The American Sportfishing Association also has some links and tips on their site. (asafishing.org...i think) they've got a 'future angler' program.

we've done a take a kid fishing day here too. we had the local conservation officer do 'the talk'. he gave a primer on the general rules, and on the water etiquette...we acted out a couple scenarios to test the kids' retention...littering, double tripping etc....went over real well.

as a speechcomm geek....i'd offer only this reminder: your speech/presentation should be like a woman's skirt....long enough to cover the topic, short enough to be interesting!

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

Hi All,

Introducing kids to fishing is one of the greatest things there is in life. Everyone who participates in such events should get a firm pat on the back. It is great too see so many involved in getting todays youth to appreciate and love the sport. I too partake in kids fishing events. The biggest one being Northview Fishing Experience. It is held on Lake Minnatonka every year around the 1st or 2nd week in June. It is a great event and is sponsored by KFAN, Gander Mountain, Waste Management and numerous others. The Northview Experience ALWAYS needs more boats. In fact every year they have to TURN AWAY kids who wanna fish because there is not enough volunteers. If any one is interested in spending a morning with a group of great kids drop me a line. Also is there any other kids events around. Been looking but have not found much...

Thanks & Happy Fishing smile.gif

[email protected]

Can we get some lists together on agencies or places to participate in such events.

Rick how about starting FM group that participates in such functions like getting kids out fishing, I would be more than willing to help in anyway possible if we had the backing of the site.

Also, I don't own a boat, but I have a fish house and would be willing to take a couple of kids ice fishing for the weekend on Mille Lacs sometime throughout the winter months. This gets tricky though because it involves being away for the weekend etc etc

------------------
%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.waldowski.com/fisherman2.gif[/img

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-19-2002).

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-19-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Grabs (edited 08-20-2002).]

In both Illinois and Wisconsin, Zebco used to provide equipment for kids events (maybe they still do). Illinois has produced curriculum materials that are used in the public schools -- good stuff, too.

With over 2/3rds of Minnesota population in the Metro area, it seems the best target area would be there. And, the Metro area has good fishing water.

We did the 2nd annual "Golf and Learn to Fish Day" yesterday. It went very well. Thanks to all for the tips and suggestions. I talked to the group for about 45-50 minutes and they were very well behaved and paid attention well. We managed a fish for about 3/4 of the kids this year. Last year every kid caught a fish, but it was a little tougher going this year.
We gave out prizes for the golfing and for answering trivia questions correctly. Also, the biggest fish won a prize of a custom made fishing rod (given by my dad) that was worth about $150- a pretty dang nice prize for the 8 year old boy who won it!
No one fell in the river, no hooks in anyone, and lots of smiles and laughs. I'd call it a big success.
Scoot

Scoot
I used to give fishing clinics to kids when i worked for the DNR'S MINNAQUA Program.
I like the knot tying.
(TIP) Use Hula Hoops and rope.
Fish ID Those fish pillows work awsome. Show them the differnt fish and what makes a fish a fish. Gills etc.
Regulations. Assumeing the kids can read give them a regs booklet and ask them to find some rules.
Fishing is the most fun. just wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from winging hooks.
Make sure each kid has a buddy.
I hope this info is'nt too late. If you need more info e-mail me at [email protected] i can probably tell you who to call for supplies and more tips.
Mike W