• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best knot for superline to tippet?

Dan97

Hi D-Man...

I can see the use for the palomar when connecting the tackle to the leader. But how do you use it to connect the mono leader to the superline? Don't you need a loop or an eye from a swivel or something?

Dan

You have to loop it around the mono to get the same configuration as if it were tied to a swivel. Hard to describe but with a little practice you could figure it out. But I use either a clinch or improved clinch knot on my mono leader. However, you must test this connection before using it. I have lost only one fish this year due to knot failure, and it was the clinch knot that I screwed up and left a nice smallmouth swimming with my lure.

I always use a Palomar when attaching Fireline to a hook eye or swivel, but I use a blood knot or uni knot to attach mono to Fireline. Do a search of the net & you'll find some diagrams on how to tie them. Vern

[This message has been edited by vern (edited 08-15-2002).]

Dan/ You make two Palomar's. One on the super side and one on the mono side. Your post stated your using Vanish which is a low non-stretch mono. Low stretch mono's are just that,low stretch.When you tie a knot with them that requires any twist's or ravelling of the line,the Vanish doesn't lay down, it will eventually pull apart. It doesn't like to stay put, it will break before it holds in place. Make a Palomar with the superline with a small loop at the end, kind of like the hole on a swivel, then simply make a Palomar with the Vanish. Take the clean end of the Vanish,run it through the eye of the Palomar on the super, next run the clean end of the Vanish through the Palomar knot of the Vanish and pull tight. Then join the lure or rig to the Vanish with another Palomar. If its confusing, i'll show ya on the 14th.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

That Palomar option sounds like a good way to go...i'm gonna try it......

the Uni was always too confusing and time consuming and you sure couldn't do it on the water

thanks for the info

------------------
Anglin' Freak