• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help me decide on my next portable

JSK76

I have been trying to figure out the perfect portable for me and I need some advise. I was planning on getting a med Canvas Craft insulated house which I'm sure would be great and some what light weight but the cost after sled, tent, cover, hitch hyfax and 2 seat's I'm looking at $905.00 with most of the stuff being on sale right now. Thats a lot of money for a small 2 man house.

Option 2 is, my buddy's Clam X2 that has every thing I have listed above for the C.C and a center tray. The X2 is like new and I fished in it almost as much as my buddy. It also has the trap link, and I have a Clam 6800 with the link so I could use them together. I can get it for $450.00. The bad it's heavy and it's not insulated other then that I would say it's the best house made.

How much better is a C.C insulated house? Is it worth $455.00 more for a smaller house? Does anyone know of any thing new coming out thats worth waiting for?

I got the house that you are thinking of buying from Canvas Craft on sale a couple weeks ago. This is the second house I bought from them. The first one was a suitcase style 6x8 yellow and black that I bought 15 years ago. It is still great shape, I've never had to fix anything and is being used again this weekend by other family members. It gets lots of use each year with inlaws and nephews. I spent the money on the second one because CC makes a great house and they last.

I got the CC medium single and have fished out of the clam thermal alot also. The room of the clam is really nice and the extra tub space is really nice. The CC insulated fabric is better i feel and the white interior lights up really nice. the tubing is better on the clam also, not so good on the cc i have but they may have changed that also. Either one is a good house.

If you are set on a insulated house r**ds of walker has Clam Thermal X houses listed on their site for $599.99 which is $150.00 off the normal price. If the house doesn't need to be insulated I know where I can get you a Magnum size house for $350.00 it is a otter wilderness house(northern model which is same as a wild 3, these are a discontinued model but wild parts will work on them) which is basically a wild house but without the bench seat. For this price you get the house,sled, 2 seats, travel cover, and the hyfax. house would be only $300.00 if you didn't want the hyfax. the hitch from this same shop would be a additional $50.00. So if you want the complete package with everything at most you would have $400.00 plus tax into it. I bought one of these and it is great.

If you are interested in the wilderness house email me at [email protected] and I can give you the contact info for the shop.

I did a little test with my old otter cabin and a Nanook thermal both houses are about the same size I put a 9000 buddy heater in them both on at the same time. I took the temp reading with a digital temp gage and the Nanook warmed up much faster but after 1 hour the full thermal Nanook was only 10 degrees warmer then the Otter. The sun was out so I don't know if the Otter was getting solar heat to make it only 10 degrees because of the dark purple color compared to the light gray on the Nanook. Because of this I wouldn't spend to much more on a clam full thermal then a non thermal.

Went to R**ds and they gave me such a deal on a med otter sled and hyfax that it made my mind up for me. I would have bought more accessories but most of the stuff is sold out. Looking forward to using a insulated Canvas Craft next season, only 8 more months to go!

For me it's simply about weight. I need to be able to lift it by myself and place it in the back of my truck. I love the small, cheap clams cause they're very light weight. Personaly, I've never found a two person fish house that can't be heated to the point where I'm wearing a t-shirt...heat shouldn't be an issue IMO with any small portable...

The one shack in the 2010 Clam line that did impress me, above the rest, was the Nanook Thermal.

As far as to fit in your parameters of lightweight, and thermal retention properties.

Once the goofy hinge seating is altered/omitted to be more user friendly, I found it a good unit for 1 man use, given the price. Especially at the new late season clearance prices on them.

I really like my clam X2 (which I don't think they make anymore) but it IS heavy. But for me the weight is not a big thing because I am always pulling it with a sled or ATV anyway. The one thing I would make sure to look for it GOOD POLES. If you get one with flimsy hard to work poles you will regret it every time you use it.

Now I just need to pick a swivel seat. I have had the grey one on my old Otter just on a different base, and thought it was comfortable but don't know about the black one, any one used both? Does anyone know if these seats slide front to back with this style base?

ottercushionbrackseat.gif

The black seats are more comfortable and when you use them with the new support bar that goes side to side not front to back they slide anyplace you want them when lifted and stay put when down. They also slide forward and back.

With the old front to back bases as shown above they will not slide forward and back.

I think a few people missed the part when the OP said he decided to go with the Otter sled and CC shell.

If the rails on the seats you are looking at are the same as the ones in my Otter(and it looks like they are), they do not slide front to back. The seat swivel is welded to the bar that supports the seat. The support bars are adjustable to fit in different Otter sleds.

I love the ease of moving the seats side to side with this set up, so when I am by myself, I simply fold up the seat not in use, toss it in the bottom of the sled, and slide the other seat to the middle of my sled. If the bite is slow and I want to really relax, I slide it to one end and kick my feet up on the other end.

I just got done setting up my new Canvas Craft, I never seen one in person until I got mine today. Got the last black one they had for the season, it was actually the floor model that was used in this years photo shoot. I'm very, very impressed with the quality of the Norpac material however I was also surprised by the weight of the metal poles that weigh in at 30lbs and I might look into making my own poles out of aluminum over the summer if it would shave around 1/2 the weight or so.

Here we are at the start of yet another Steller Ice Season 2018. I start the season looking for a Trap-Link Connector for my Yukon and 5600. JDK76 you stated that at one time some time ago you were considering the purchase of your buddy's X2 wich came with the Trap-Link. I know by the feed that you decided to go with Otter instead after getting such a good deal on it. But if you or your buddy still has that connector for the X2 I would Pay Handsome fot it. Let Me Know...