• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A fish question

Something different happened tonight.

I caught a northern that was about 3 lbs. or so. Nice fish -- but when I first saw it in the water, I thought it was a walleye. The eyes were large and the sides were a standar dark green/grey color.

I've caught hundreds of northern pike before, but I've never seen one like this. Is this some sort of variety that is a rare/recessive trait (kind of like double jointed people) or was this not a northern?

I noticed the standard pores under the mouth and I am pretty sure it was a northern...but all of the ones I have caught before had the light/dark bars that are a standard issue for these fish.

So, in short, what's up with that?

A while back I read an article on what your describing, it's a subspecies of the Northern Pike, and some say its a totally different species. They call it a Silver Pike, and they are only found in certain lakes in the northern midwest and canada. They are truly rare at any size, so what you caught is a trophy to any avid pike fisherman. And I don't mean to contradict what the guy before me said, but IT IS NOT A PHASE it is a subspecies of Northern Pike, they did a test with this Silver Pike at a University in Iowa I believe, and they crossbred Silver pike eggs with a Musky and they ended up turning out looking like a Musky but smaller, they crossbred them with a standard Northern Pike and none of them survived, then they bred them with other silver Pike and they all turned out looking like a silver pike, proving that they are either a totally different species, or a seperate subspecies. They are a truly beautiful fish, [ and normally anything that isnt related to a Trout i think looks ugly ], and a true prize, I hope you released it as soon as you caught it!!! But if you didn't try too in the future! Thanks!!!

Zack

hey guys.i ran into these northerns last year up here in hibbing.....i have a posting under the "grand rapids forum "...."blue northern pike"...they are a subspecies all by them selves..eyes are bigger....scales are smaller.. ..and the face of these pike have a "dip"(top part of the head)most northerns ,the head is straight...there tails are also "forked like a musky..but they are not muskys...but a subspecies all by themselves...they are called silver pike ...but the color varies to an intense irredescent blue(like the ones out of a little lake here by hibbing...so they are also known as blue pike....going after these blue pike in a couple weeks...thanks......jon smile.gif