• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

WD40 on leeches???

tjwierz2

PCG,

Regardless of the amount or concentration.....the simple point is that WD-40 has compounds in it that are toxic and the fish scents oils don't.

Why would you possibly justify the addition of toxic pollution to the waterways when there are product that do the same thing that don't contain these compounds.

I don't care if it only adds 0.000000000000000000000000000001 gallons of pollution........

It's simple to not do it at all and then the contribution would be 0.00 gallons.

Plus creating a visible sheen on a lake or pond with these compounds is illegal and punishable by the USEPA.

I am very glad to hear that most people wouldn't do this kind of thing and for almost anything else you could use as an attractant there wouldn't be a problem.

The animal and vegetable oils are easily metabolized by natural bacteria in the waters. These compounds could be toxic only if the quantity discharged was enough to depress the oxygen levels from the respiration of the aerobic bacteria. The lack of oxygen and increase in nutrient levels from dead bacteria would create an algae bloom that would very quickly kill the lake. In order to create this oxygen depletion, a substantial quantity of these oils would have to be introduced.

The compounds in WD-40 however are toxic at levels of parts per million. It's a completely different potential problem because it directly affects the aquatic organisms. It takes thousands of times less WD-40 to cause a problem.

Anyone that wants references please let me know. I am a chemical engineer for an environmental engineering firm that deals with industrial chemical spills on a regular basis. I can give you all the information you could ever want.

Hey Fishhead, You haven't seen me eat.....that shiner sandwich could go down pretty good. grin.gif

------------------
-------------------------
BASS SEASON IS UPON US.
Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy.
-------------------------

Waste, I'll toss my 2 cents in and agree with the WD-40 not being good for the environment. Having worked as a Prof. Geologist/Biologist for the last 10 years for an Environmental firm specializing in Pesticide/Petroleum investigations and remediations I'll agree that the use of WD-40 is not good for the environment. It's a very interesting topic and I'm glad it got brought up on this forum. It's important that we try to minimize any impacts we have on the environment and something so simple as not using WD-40 on bait is an easy start. Good Fishing! Oh yeah, I don't want any of that "stinky sandwich"!!

One of the points that several people made is that a few squirts of WD-40 are nothing compared to running the 2 stroke engine. You could also say that running the 2 stroke engine is nothing compared to the Becker power plant, so as long as they are burning coal I will keep running my 2 stroke, and keep squirting my WD-40.

I think this is the attitude that several people have in general when it come to the environment and conservation. As long as there is something that is more damaging, is less fuel efficient, uses more fertilizer, pollutes more or what ever it is, people feel that what they are doing is ok because it is 'not as bad'. I think more people (including myself) need to start looking at some of the small things that they do, figure out how important it is, if it can be done cleaner, more efficiently. It may not seem like much, but if you start small at least you are starting. Doing something a little cleaner helps a little. Yes, maybe that little shot of WD-40 in that huge body of water doesn't cause any problems, but it doesn't help.

Kevin

For those of you out there thinking its no big deal, it's minor compared to the toxins and pollutants dumped by power plants and industry and such. Knowingly polluting the waterways as these companies do makes you no better than them. And you should be setting an environmentaly friendly example, not following someone elses. Just think some of us have to drink that water. For the record I'm not trying to set personal attacks on anyone, I'm just trying to help put things into the right perspective. Good fishing!

Jimmy

Just a couple points I need to make:

First of all....good info coldone!!

Secondly, I have never used WD-40 or any other type of scent on any type of bait. Never needed too!!

Lastly, I guarantee that those 2 stroke outboards/jet skiis that you guys have do more to harm the lake/environment that any squirt of WD-40.
Until they do something to regulate the use of those old two stroke motors and regulate the use of fertilizers, etc on lake property, and farmland in lake/river areas, we have bigger things to look at.

Again....just my opinions!!
JC

My basic point was to think about ALL the toxoc dump that goes into the lake...And by comparison the overall effect of the little squirt of WD-40...

Also remember that all these chemicals, agents, polutants, etc either directly came from the earth, or are bi products of something that came from the earth.

Remember that a can of WD-40 will end up in the wrong spot sooner or later, whether you spray it on land, water, or any other place you might find to spray the stuff.

Keep in mind, I have never used these products, only have witnessed them and the visual effects.

Yes, they are bad, naughty, illegal, shameful, toxic, harmful, yucky....T

Those against that dump, I give you an applause and say thank you. Those that use it...Hope ya catch some fish.

Just stating my opinion, but once again..it doesn't matter...so please do not get all upset.

Good fishing

PCG

Oh boy!

Ok, well then...The grass sure is growing good isn't it? I just got in from mowing the lawn, and boy oh boy is she green.

I stopped at the grocery store on the way home and they had a great sale on Rib Eye. Would have been a great night for grilling!

How bout' those Vikes anyways? Training camp is just around the corner!

Can't wait for 4th of July

Did ya here the one about Ole' and Sven?

PCG

OK...time for my 2 cents worth!
I'll use my old two-stroke motors until one of you guys buys me a couple of four-stroke motors. And we all know that'll be about as fast as the major boat motor makers recalling all their two-strokers and replacing them with four-strokers at no cost to the consumer!!! tongue.gif

I have used fish oils and commercial and homemade scents, and will continue using some of them. I have tried the WD-40 on leeches and minnows, the reason the WD works is because of the solvent part of the WD defats the baits tissues, and the oil component serves as a scent carrier. My experience with leeches has been that the thing "goes wild" trying to swim to an area of a lower concentration of the irritant (WD-40) since it is coated with the stuff, and tethered to the hook, it ended up tangling itself in the line so bad that if a fish did happen to bite, it would have never found the hook, and I had to waste time untangling and retying. My findings, WD-40 is not worthwhile when fishing with leeches, especially large and jumbo leeches. I am not in favor of using WD-40 as a scent. As for the water pollution issue, I found these facts about personal watercraft from the University of Vermont

Pollution:
Widespread PWC use has a significant impact on the environment due to the two stroke engines which leak millions of gallons of unburned fuel into the waters each year (Pearce, 1998). Scientists estimate that 20 to 25 percent of the fuel used in personal watercraft and other watercraft with two stroke engines fail to combust, and is flushed out into the water as raw fuel vapor emissions (Pearce, 1998).

To illustrate the level of pollution, in Michigan, the 82,000 registered watercraft, if each rider expends a full 10-gallon tank, will expend more than 200,000 gallons of fuel into the water. If a watercraft carries four gallons of gas, than approximately one gallon will be directly leaked into the water (Pearce, 1998). Two hours of exhaust emissions from a Jet Ski is equivalent to the emissions created by driving a 1998 automobile 130,000 miles (Stienstra, 1998).

Biological Impact: The pollution emitted from PWCs have a considerable impact on wildlife. When the unburned fuel is released into the water, tiny organisms absorb the chemicals and become extremely sensitive to light, an occurrence called phototoxicity. The Daylight sun then kills the organism, which causes a collapse of the food chain as food sources slowly become eliminated (Pearce, 1998).

Another list of major water pollutant suggests that if we want to complain about water pollution, the first place we all should look is in our refridgerators and freezers... no I am not talking about R-12, I am talking about agricultural products, mainly beef, pork and dairy products. In accordance with the clean water act, animal waste is NOT required to be treated before being released into the environment. Also for each pound of beef produced, at least 12 pounds of grain must be harvested, which contributes to another problem, that is agricultural runoff from crop fields, which brings, nitrates and other fertilizer compounds, as well as pesticides, and animal waste, which is often spread on fields in raw form as a type of fertilizer. Its too bad that most of the northern lakes are not surrounded by beef, dairy, and hog farms, as this issue would be addressed much sooner if that was the case. Also, we can all rest easy as the new farm bill will use our tax dollars to help the largest of the beef, hog, and dairy producers clean up their acts.

Major Pollutants
The major pollutants of water are the following:
Sewage and other oxygen-demanding wastes (largely carbonaceous organic material, the decomposition of which leads to oxygen depletion)

Infectious agents

Plant nutrients that can stimulate the growth of aquatic plants, which then interfere with water uses and, when decaying, deplete the dissolved oxygen and produce disagreeable odors

Exotic organic chemicals, including pesticides, various industrial products, surface-active substances in detergents, and the decomposition products of other organic compounds.

Petroleum, especially from oil spills

Inorganic minerals and chemical compounds

Sediments consisting of soil and mineral particles washed by storms and floodwater from croplands, unprotected soils, strip mines, roads, and bulldozed urban areas

Radioactive substances from the wastes of uranium and thorium mining and refining, from nuclear power plants, and from the industrial, medical, and scientific use of radioactive materials.

Heat may also be considered a pollutant when increased temperatures in bodies of water result from the discharge of cooling water by factories and power plants.

I typically do not fish from a motor boat, so I also feel the need to urge my fellow anglers to upgrade their motors to the new two strokes, or better yet a four stroke engine. It is mighty hard for someone to make an arguement about a few squirts of WD-40 while they themselves are dumping gallons of gasoline and oil into the water every season!

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I deleted a couple of posts that were not helpful in this discussion, inflammatory, and did attack.

Please, it's not allowed here. Don't join in the band wagon if you see a post like that. Ignore it.

Even though this may not have started off as a political issue, it i s now. Sooooo

We moving it to the Political issues Forum.

SpikeRoberts and admins will do their best to keep it within good civil discussion range.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

I deleted a couple of posts that were not helpful in this discussion, inflammatory, and did attack.

Please, it's not allowed here. Don't join in the band wagon if you see a post like that. Ignore it.

Even though this may not have started off as a political issue, it is now. Sooooo

We're moving it to the Political issues Forum.

SpikeRoberts and admins will do their best to keep it within good civil discussion range.