• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to bring/buy

I just got a job working in Seward for the summer on a resort boat. I was wondering what I should bring up ther for the summer. fly rod? tackle? what kind of rain gear? hiking boots? what is there to do for fun? any help is greatly appreciated.

Congrats you'll have a ball. Buy some good goretex raingear,top of the line guide series cuz you may be wearing it daily, an extra set isn't a bad idea.Alot of people wear hellyhansen for warmth. Get some good muck boots or extratuff kneehighs and some good hiking boots, i had some vasques hold up pretty well. Bring some decent sized gear (heavy walleye/pike/salmon) as well as your fly rod, most mn tackle doesn't apply up there but if you bring stuff get a ton of pixie spoons, vibraxes, magwarts and kwickfish. You'll see what others are using up there then restock at fredy meyers or other outdoor stores up there. Lots of cool hikes; up mts, along rivers and around glaciers. It's unforgettable, many go up there and never come back.

I would talk to the resort about the raingear. A good set of Helly Hanson rubberized type rain gear will probably be the best for you. That's what the commercial fisherman wear. You will get alot of rain in Seward (at least when I lived there 20 years ago) and even the good gortex jackets will wear out. You might as well spend less on raingear and skip the gortex. I certainly recommend "Xtra Tuf" brand boots. My set of xtra tufs is still going strong after 20 years and they are by far the most comfortable. You will spend more on them but when you are on your feet all day long you will be glad. Do not skimp on good wool or wool blend socks along with poly liners.

Heavy walleye gear will be just fine for most of the salmon. Bring something you can spool up 15 lb line with. You will be heading up to the Kenai for a good share of your fishing so spool with some Maxima mono and you'll be set for the Kenai and Russian. Also when in Seward bring an older heavy pole up there cause you can snag in salt water. It may not be the "purist" way to fish but everyone and their brother fishes that way from shore in Resurrection Bay so you might as well join the crowd and pull in some fish. You can fish in alot of places casting spoons also. Have a blast and have one at the Pit Bar for me.

Seward was my favorite town on the KP. Not as many fishing options right there, but as fivebucks said, you can drive to the Kenai/Russian river area for river fishing. And you've got Ress bay for silvers and some kings. I did the snagging thing too, when in Rome...

You might well end up with 2 sets of raingear; Helly for work, Goretex or equivelent (I like Cabelas dryplus) for hiking. Good boots are a must, as mentioned.

I wouldn't buy a lot of tackle, or extra rods/reels till you get up there. Fred Meyer is the AK walmart, and you'll get just what you see others useing, no guessing. Actually Soldotna hardware is a great store too...all tackle you need for the kenai is there.

Have a blast..like RH said, you may not be back for awhile:)

I was 25 years old and spent my summer in a town called Gustavus, Alaska. That summer working as a deckhand on a charter fishing boat was priceless. I learned many things about the Alaskan way of life, and one thing that stuck with me ever since was a pure love for Alaska.

I have been back 5 times since on cruises, or to destination resorts to spend both corporate trips and just pleasure trips. Regardless of the location, a few things were consistently located in my backpack as must have items.

1. A good buck knife, and a leatherman. Both serve their purpose, but they each are needed on multiple occasions every day.

2. Helly Hanson Rain Gear - As often as you wear rain gear in Alaska, having a quality pair is vital. Helly Hansen fits the bill and is the proven choice of many Alaskans. Wearing it, once the original sheen wears off with help you fit in as an Alaskan.

3. Xtratuf Work Boots they are known as "Alaskan Tennis Shoes" or "Alaskan Sneakers". If you forget everything else, do not forget a pair of these fishing boots. Depending on what you are doing, I would recommend either the insulated or safety insulated (steel toe). You will find yourself wearing these boots day in and day out. If you manage to find a date while you are up there you will probably even wear them on a date. As mentioned above, I have had my pair of Xtratuf boots forever, they are going on their 13th birthday this year and still going strong. The issue is finding that first pair of boots. They are only sold in a few retail stores (luckily mostly in Alaska) and a couple places online. I managed to find this site when I was looking for a reference on what they call the steel toed boots (http://www.x-tough.com).

4. Fishing gear - To me fly fishing is the only way to go. My suggestion would be to make friends with one of the local pilots that likes to fish. Hopefully you can convince him to get you out of town on your days off for a local fishing adventure.

All in all my first summer in Alaska was one I will never forget, I truly hope you find the same joy and excitement during your adventure!