• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.22 youth model? any suggestions?

What age and how big is he? Most youth model .22 are very small and are outgrown rapidly. If he can handle a full size model, I would recommend that. That being said, there are several options available from many makers. Rossi break action is simple and reliable. The marlin youth bolt is a solid performer in a single and clip model. As I said there are a lot out there. It would be best to go to a major dealer and handle several to find the features you like best.

He's 8, so pretty small yet. I was thinking a youth model, something like the Henry youth lever action. I know he'll need another one in a few years, so I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on some of the less expensive youth models?

When my boys were young, I picked up a cheap, used bolt action single shot. When they go through that much to load, they take more time to learn to aim, as apposed to rapid firing with an auto. And there's a good safety factor with the single shot. With the bolt open and the chamber empty, its safe. It can be cut down to fit kids. And after they grow, you can get him a full sized gun of any action you choose. It worked for my four boys.

When my boys were young, I picked up a cheap, used bolt action single shot. When they go through that much to load, they take more time to learn to aim, as apposed to rapid firing with an auto. And there's a good safety factor with the single shot. With the bolt open and the chamber empty, its safe. It can be cut down to fit kids. And after they grow, you can get him a full sized gun of any action you choose. It worked for my four boys.

I second this thinking! I am the oldest of four boys, so there was a alot of plinkin when we were growing up. and the 'ol bolt action with a clip that held 6 made us take our time and make shots count

I ended up going with one of the Keystone Crickett's. On Sale right now for $130. Pretty nice looking, camo stock, and it came with its own case. Perfect size at 30 inches. My son was very happy. The salesman even through in a free hat. You should have seen his smile.

another option is a rossi combo gun, you can get 22 & 410 package for around $125.00 both are single shot to go along with the making the shots count + plus you have 2 guns for price of 1. my boys liked the rossi. just an idea.

good luck & way to get them involved in the outdoors!

warnign on the henry great gun but you can really go thru the shells quick & don't tkae the time to aim accuratley (peronal experience)real fun to run thru the shells!