• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fisherman, Fisherwoman, Fisherperson?

Blackstarluver

Ok just a simple question. Whenever I am at fishing events ( derbys etc.) the people who are announcing seem to get flustered when talking about persons who have caught fish, they seem to stammer on fisherman, woman, person. Wouldnt it be easier if the people engaged in icthyological pursuits be simply refered to as "angler"? It is not gender specific and covers all bases, age, gender etc. Just thought I'd put in my .02$
JC

I personally don't care what you call me as long as you call me to go fishing. Fisher-man, woman, person, or angler all work for me. I have to agree with Dark and tjwierz2's comments. Some people are so wound up on "political correctness" that they forget to live and have fun. Sure there is a time and place for everything, but if your not sure of your audience then don't say anything. I am a "Lady" that is not offended by much, so go ahead and call it what you want, it won't bother me.

------------

Hey! Your bobbers gone! shocked.gif

Not trying to stir up trouble....but most of the politically incorrect aren't trying to be disrespectful and most likely far from it. we just think that most of the PC terminology is hogwash. No longer should it be a manhole, but an equal opportunity sewer entrance? not woman but womyn? some of this stuff is ridiculous. I agree fisherman can be construed a un-pc...but is harmless. PC, Affirmitive Action, and all that stuff is talk when it boils down to the nitty gritty. AA is people looking for handouts for nothing and other people being afraid of frivilous lawsuits so they give in. people aren't accountable for their own actions anymore.

sorry a little rant...my boss [PoorWordUsage]ed me off today early.

My wife fishes.....I call her an angler...always have. I call myself a fisherman. Calling a woman a fisherman doesn't seem to roll off the tongue very well for me, which is why I naturally make the distinction between the two.

I think there's some middle ground between calling everyone an angler and calling everyone a fisherman.

That having been said, Isaac Walton did write "The Compleat Angler" not "The Compleat Fisherman". So, there may be some historical precedence for the singular use of "angler" to describe one who fishes.

How's that for ridin' the fence? smile.gif

I really don't care what the term is as long as I am fishing and the term is used with respect. Being polite and friendly go a lot farther than politically correct names as far as I am concerned. I would much rather be called a fisherman by a nice friendly young man with manners than called an angler by some snotnosed kid or he man without a smile. As my husband says "call me anything but late for dinner".

------------------
Phyl

Hey Huskminn, For another historical perspective, The Bible is tanslated to say "Fishers of men" not "Anglers of men" smile.gif

I used the term "fishers" for a while and it just didn't seem right. I like Dark30's "mun"
But the biggest oppurtunity for growth in the outdoors market, are "womyn", and I will go with "Anglers" when ever I can remember to be politically correct, which isn't often. smile.gif

Well...Find me a woman, in "panties", to take fishing and I'll be a happier guy.

Company of a female in the boat always makes the days angling much better,

PCG

I think the term "Fisherman" is just fine the way it is. Pronunced fisher(mun), its kinda like "Mankind"...Women are included.

"Angler" works too but not because thats the politicly correct term...just a different word for the same thing.

So if a PETA person said..."Hey, here come a bunch of Fisherman" or "Hey, here comes a bunch of Anglers"....You still wouldn't know which ones were wearing Boxer Shorts and which ones were wearing Panties. shocked.gif

WET NETS!

------------------
cast,cast,cast,cast......

Ok this wasn't meant to be P.C. I was just trying to unify terms, heck in the navy a woman can be called mister, he-doublehockeysticks, my mother was a councilman in spicer for 17 yrs when people called her councilperson she'd say councilman will do. So I guess Mr. anti P.C. here was misunderstood, or just crazy!
Leave some for me too!
JC

I think the real issue here is getting some of these guys women to fish with. Many guys go fishing to get away from there wife...I look forward to the chances I get to spend on the lake with mine. Perhaps we could turn the HSOforum into a dating forum as well....or not. ;-)

Without a doubt, this type of discussion is spurred on by questions related to political correctness. Personally, I believe that the whole politically correct movement is a complete and total bunch of dump driven by people who have far too much time on their hands and who lack the insight to determine the difference between an unimportant and an important cause. Seriously... we have people starving, homeless, dying of AIDS, cancer, heart disease, issues of world peace, hate crimes, etc. and these people are spending their time, money, and energy fighting for issues related to semantics and gender. Talk about misguided! The same goes for those who fight for causes associated with PETA.
Those of us who use the term "fisherman" or "fishermen" as a universal term covering all who fish clearly don't mean any disrespect so I'd suggest to those who have a problem with those phrases to consider what's important and to get a life.

Whew! Glad I got that off my chest. I'll step down from my soap-box now.
Scoot

Ah, yes. Political correctness. As one who has never been accused of being politically correct in my life, I offer the following suggestions:

Fisherchick
Fisherbabe

Or, to be PC:

Fisherwymyn

In seriousness, I agree with the earlier post that there is no disrespect meant when the term 'fisherman' is used. Unless the 'Female engaged in angling activity' gets upset, I will use 'fisherman' to refer to her/them.

Fishing was historically always done by men.....thus the name fisherman. The vast majority of latin derived words are masculine in gender because at the time they were created.......men ruled the world. grin.gif

Now we share the world.......and thus new words that are created reflect the nature of this change in our society.

What more do they want. They are trying to take away even the memories of the once male dominant civilizations on this earth...to brainwash us and the following generations into forgetting our history as dominators, conquerers and hunters.

I for one won't submit to their demands. I'm proud of the history of my gender and will fight to maintain its prominance in the english language.

Just my two cents.....

Wastewaterguru

by the way.......if any of you know my wife, don't tell her I posted this. grin.gif She's without question the dominant being in my house, but I submit by choice.......it occasionally has good perks.

------------------
-------------------------
BASS SEASON IS UPON US.
Here Piggy, Piggy, Piggy.
-------------------------

I agree let's just fish! However, I was reminded of this yesterday when at Fleet. I was at the counter and rang the buzzer for service (because the guy clerk had just walked by me and totally ignored me), two men were standing behind me looking around. The clerk walks up and immediately asks the men if he can help them and totally ignores me. What really ticks me off is that I have purchased many large items there and they still wait on the men first. Get a clue guys - if you are waiting on fishers, anglers whatever - pay attention to those fishingchicks because they are usually there to spend money! wink.gif ps the only reason I spend my money there is that it is the only store that is between my two jobs on Fridays when I am in Fargo. If there was another store out there it would get my business.

------------------
Phyl

It wouldn't be pretty! They would never agree on the spot, the lure, or worms, or minnows. And besides that who could tell who what to do because they would both know it all!!! I did impress the boys at Scheels on Sunday though. A nice guy asked me if I was finding what I needed and I said no and that I needed some Quik Nuts. (there is no way my husband was going to go ask for these - said it sounded kinky!) He found them for me and was really nice - didn't tell him I learned it all from you guys! grin.gif

------------------
Phyl

fishingphyl,

The best way to avoid this type of situations is simply go fishing with a male fisher person and just use his stuff. Can you just imagine, a fishing guy and a fishing-chick in one boat?

[This message has been edited by basshunter (edited 06-03-2002).]