• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Depth finders, fish finders or nothing

Hey Rat,
In my opinion, depth/fish finders are an invaluable tool for walleye and northern fishing. depth can be critical to these fish and all others for that matter. When trolling you can keep at a constant depth or vary your depth to find the fish. Once you have found the fish you can target that specific depth. My buddy and I were fishing Minnetonka on Monday, trolling for Northerns. At one point he saw a blip in a sea of nothing that he suspected was a fish. He didn't say anything to me, but moments later I had a "Fish On". Coincidance, maybe, but I am led to believe he saw the fish that I would have caught if it wasn't for the 10lb mono I was using; see ya lure, see ya mono, fireline going on the pole very soon.

------------------
Happy Fishn :D
Mike

What is the difference between a depth finder and a fish finder? The "Fish ID" option?

I use my depth finder pretty much continuously unless I'm in shallow water where I can see all of the structure and/or cover.

To be honest with you, I feel lost without it.