• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How much to tip a fishing guide

Seabass77

LOTS!! Just a little joke. Here is what my thinking was when I guided. When I private quided a trip tipping wasn't as important because I was getting the whole works, although most did tip, which was fine, and appreciated.

If you are hiring a guide through and outfitter, resort or any other service where your guide doesn't "own" the business, tips are what those guys/gals live off. I didn't have any formula to figure a tip but I certainly thought about it. These are the things to consider:

1) How many in your group are sharing a guide?

2) How was the serivice?

3) How was the equipment?

4) Overall knowlege of fishing?

5) Did you like your guide?

You may notice I didn't say "how the fishing was" and that is because rarely did I get a better tip because the fishing was great or because someone caught the fish of a lifetime. Infact usually the best tips came in tough conditions, from guys that didn't know how to fish, and appriated all the work I had to do to keep them on fish and deal with all tangled lines, etc.

So, this really doesn't answer your question but it gives you some things to consider when deciding how much to tip.ScottS

I've always been told TIPS means "to insure propt service". Whenever I tip (always)...it's in proportion to the service. Having waited tables and washed dishes, I've got some empathy, and always go over the 15% standard. On a service such a fishing guides, I would utilized a similar strategy as the above post...and add in the 'little things' done to provide quality service; good conversation, patient friendly disposition, helpful tips and teaching....genuine quality. These are by no means quantifiable...but definately worth some extra $. Again, as mentioned above..it's not the amount or size of fish...but the overall quality experience...was it pleasant...did the guide do their best to go the extra?...then pay a little extra....to insure you get that attention next time! 15% would be the minimum...tip what you feel is worthy...but just don't tip the boat over!... smile.gif