• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fat Head Chub/ Shiner

mnwild14

What would be the main purpose of using one over the other. Do some people like chubs over shiners or what. Is there a time of the year that effects which one to use. Or does lure effect it? I have generally always used shiners. I heard that a chub might be a good choice where I am fishing this weekend. Any ideas why you would use one or the other.

Hello MNwild,

Everyone has differing opinions on this subject, but here is how I select what minnow to use.

First and foremost is the minnow a native to the lake you are fishing? If so, this is good. An example of this would be fishing Mille Lacs. Spottailed shiners are found in the lake, and are very effective when fished.

Secondly (and probably one of my biggest reasons for selection) is how active or hardy the minnow is. There are some minnows that are completely nuclear when fished. They are very active on the end of your line and attract alot of attention of surrounding fish as well as fish that are farther off that sense the minnow in distress using their lateral lines.

Here is how I rate minnows and effectiveness.

1) Redtail chubs (3to 4")
2) Creek chubs (3 to 4")
3) Rainbow dace
4) Shiners
5) Smaller sucker minnow (3")
6) Fatheads

Good luck this weekend

MNWILD,
Hey, I don't know any technical aspects, but I would recomend having both in the minnow bucket. If you have two people in the boat, each person should have a different bait on until you find out what the eyes want. It might be they want the size and flash of a shiner or the smaller darker fathead, it's up to the fish. grin.gif

------------------
Happy Fishn :D