• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apostle Islands, Chequamegon Bay Fishing Reports

Folks, ice conditions all over seem to be marginal at best and seem to be changing daily this past week. Due to rain - heavy snow - and lots of wind, becareful out there!! Here is a short video on what I look for and how I gear up when checking ice!!

Brrrrrrrrrrr... It definately feels a lot like WINTER here in the far north of WI.. But, we will take the cold, as we are in full swing in the ice fishing season now.

From inland lakes that produce great catches of Panfish along with Walleye and Pike action to now a good sheet of ice started on Chequamegon Bay that will have us out there in full swing shortly, we have something going on for anyone and everyone. Trout and Salmon to Whitefish and SmallMouth with some Herring and Smelt thrown in too.. Always something fun to catch out here on beautiful Lake Superior. Oh, and this year we will have a sleeper fish house available for rent as well!! Stay right on the ice and fish throughout the night - Burbot and Walleyes!! Keep updated on the fishing report page right here.. bookmark it

And for those looking for the Ultimate Ice Fishing Trip - Our hotspotoutdoors Ice Fishing Schools will be hitting three different lakes this year, Leech Lake for Huge Walleyes and Jumbo Perch- Lake Okoboji for Monster Bluegills - Lake Namekagon for Slab Crappies. Guided fishing and daily seminars from the best in the ice business!! Look up hotspotoutdoors for all the info on whats up with the schools..

120710web1.jpg

12121037inch.jpg

img1350web.jpg

jonwalleyeweb.jpg

Hey Jim, where will the sleepers be located? Inland lakes or superior? Do you guys get stable enough conditions on the big lake to put sleepers out there? Anyways, thanks for the video updates and reports...hope to get up your way this ice season and hopefully say hi. Good luck out there and thanks again for the reports.

From inland lakes that produce great catches of Panfish along with Walleye and Pike action to now a good sheet of ice started on Chequamegon Bay that will have us out there in full swing shortly, we have something going on for anyone and everyone. Trout and Salmon to Whitefish and SmallMouth with some Herring and Smelt thrown in too.. Always something fun to catch out here on beautiful Lake Superior. Oh, and this year we will have a sleeper fish house available for rent as well out here on the big lake for the sleeper.. Only have one, and its a smaller pull behind.. Starting small first.. smile !!

Stay right on the ice and fish throughout the night - Burbot and Walleyes!!

Keep updated on the fishing report page right here.. bookmark it

And no problem, hope to see you around here this year, too!!

Never fished Chequamegon before but want to give it a try this friday. Is the entire bay driveable? And any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking we would go out of the Washburn area. Thanks

Fire Department Rescues People From Ice By Saxon

More than 50 people affected by break up of floes

Article | January 24, 2011 - 7:19am | Ashland Current

The Iron County Sheriff's Department called for help from the Ashland Fire Department on Saturday this weekend, after receiving a report of people ice fishing among chunks of ice that began breaking apart and floating out of Saxon Harbor.

Reports of more than 50 people ice fishing were received, including a description of northeast winds increasing to 30 mph and causing the ice to break up, according to the Ashland Fire Department.

All but two people were able to get off the ice despite leaving three-wheelers, snowmobiles, ice shacks and fishing equipment behind.

The Ashland Fire Department responded with the department's brush truck, Ice Angel, paramedic ambulance, and four rescue members led by Lt. Tom Walters.

Other Ashland Fire Department members responding to the Saxon Harbor call included pilot Tim Ciembronowicz, and swimmers Jon Paulson and Rayne Edinger.

The Ice Angel arrived on scene and deployed into the harbor, despite near white-out conditions, stiff northeast winds, and water/pack ice chunk swells of between eight and 12 feet, the department reports.

Rescuers on shore reported they were not able to maintain visual contact with the Ice Angel during the rescue due to the large swells.

The Ice Angel responded one-quarter to one-half mile off shore and rescued one male on a four-foot diameter ice chunk, then moving approximately 100 yards away to rescue another male.

One victim was from Saxon and the other was from Hurley. The names of the victims are not being released by the Ashland Fire Department at this time, though they were unharmed and dry.

Both victims were transported to shore and evaluated by the Beacon Ambulance.

Walters said that, “if it had not been for the Ice Angel and personnel on board, those guys would have died…there was not other means to safely rescue them. Those were the worst conditions I have ever been in for an ice rescue."

Is anybody fishin out of Bayfield yet-towards madeline island or farther?

Sounds like there is good ice out to Madeline, all around basswood up towards hermit. I fished the south end of Basswood 2 weeks ago, there was 5" and quite a bit of slush.

I fished out of Washburn all day yesterday, anywhere from the light house back to Ashland has good ice. We moved a couple times and had anywheres from 9 to 12 inches of clear ice. Easy traveling with a snowmoble, no sure how much more snow they got though after we left in a white out. Was my first time out there as well, I recommend a gps with chip to find your depth edges faster then we could (only had a hot map). Found most of the fish we marked in 50-60 ft. off the steaper breaks but could only get them to look. Did manage one 14 1/2" short brown (pretty fish) that we released on a tip up shallow in 14 ft. of water. Stop at the bait store in Washburn and ask for the current ice conditions when you go, he told us what was safe and what was questionable. Good luck, I will be back there hopefully sometime soon to learn more.

Yesterday,.[feb 5th] some ice fishermen had too be rescued out by one of the islands. Word is they were being Guided. They lost some equiptment,..snowmobile/ATV's. One person was in the water for 28 minutes. But all are home safe. Thats all i know for now. No names were released yet.

Me and my wife went up to Bayfield this weekend. We saw the ambulance and rescue folks around the marina on our way out, a bit unnerving to say the least. It was posted on another forum that the folks involved had been guided the previous day between Hermit and Stockton; sounds like they were going out on their own this day and ran into some variable ice compared to the previous day. The current was ripping both days, and the wind was pretty strong too the day before.

After speaking with the folks at Outdoor Allure, we were pretty confident heading out towards Hermit; they strongly advised heading out past Hermit were the accident occurred. Annie iced her first laker, it was small but enough for her to want to try again another day.

annietrout.jpg

Glad you caught a few there fishwater. Saturday we went 5 for 9. fished 4 spots around Oak, Hermit, and Basswood.

We are strongly advising folks NOT to travel north of Hermit Island. There are a few folks on that ice, but it is thin, unstable, and that is where those wheelers went thru on Sat, they were fishing on their own, and didn't realize where they were. Luckilly there were no lives lost, just property. Be safe out there, and get the report before you head out. Good Luck Fishing! Craig, Outdoor Allure.

Ok, here's the report.

Friday. Even after the cold week, still a bit of slush between Bayfield and the South end of Basswood. My friend on a wheeler had a bit of a tough time getting across but didn't get stuck. We hugged the East side of Basswood up to SE Hermit area to fish. Smooth area here, best choice to go Northward. Fished 160' with 12" ice and got 2 smaller lakers and 1 pout for 3 guys. Mmm freshwater cod.

Saturday. Lots of guys are parking on the ice at the Bayfied ice road. Went out and hugged West side Basswood got some slush on the way. Stayed clear of that North Hermit area and headed toward Oak. Some slush lines out there but not as bad. Made it to 205' between Oak and Manitou with little luck. Tried closer to the mini island out there with 2 fish for 6 guys around 165' with 10" ice. Saw some dudes out a bit farther past the pack ice running self-contained.

JKH, anything good to report? Saw you at the landing Friday.

Hopefully next weeks temps don't ruin the bobbin season!

I was out Saturday and parked on the ice by the ice road but people need to think out there, over crowding was a problem and people need to consider the size of the rigs and give people some room !! ok that was my rant lol now for the fishin part..... headed north to a spot I have marked on the south side of Hermit and got set up and as soon as my bait got about three ft from the bottom,, wham! hooked my first laker of the year ..... I left the ice early that day , packed up at 12:30 ... tally was 6 lakers landed largest 28" and a total of 12 misses all on a dk purple beetle in 140 fow .. I will be back out this weekend again and probably every weekend until ice out ..

Jar Jar