• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apostle Islands, Chequamegon Bay Fishing Reports

Well, we are still "hammering" away out here on the big lake. Near shore trolling is still going great!!! Smelt are running now, is not going to last much longer. Pre-spawn walleyes are around still, and the pike are going to go on the feed soon!! Next month, SMALLIES!! If you have ever wanted to experience Chequamegon Bay or the Apostle Islands, now is the time!!

Just wondering where walleyes can be caught with planers. I fish the islands and can only seem to get browns, and an occasional coho. Are they in Cheq bay? I fish out of Bayfield, just curious if there are any around that area.

Thanx.

Coho are concentraited to the bait and prefered water temp, always (well except spawn). So, they are shallow both in the spring and fall, when the water temps and their preferred forage brings them there..

For walleyes.. Almost all are inside Chequamegon Bay itself..

Most of them head to deeper water and suspend, chasing baitfishg along with bugs during the summer.. Reason I believe folks do not catch more of them in the summer is the fact that their populations are usually low, compared to the vast water they can hide in. This year should be interesting with the higher number of coho we are seeing.. Around here, the Flats, where we lake trout fish a lot in the summer, hold a lot of coho in the summer. So, I will be running a few more lines up top this summer.

Out here in the cold ice abyss of Lake Superior, that 45 to 50 degree water is what they strive for, IMHO.

Yeah there is alot of water out there and over the years I have caught a few now and then--along with a king here and there--seems when I have caught them--Ive been able to make another pass through same area and catch one or 2 more--of course this is all by accident!! But accidents do happen! lol thanks again for info---those flats over there--that along the Ashland side? just wondering---------- TO ALL THERE'S A SMELT FRY IN HEBSTER ON SATURDAY-17th--also--think starts around 1pm???

Over on the North shore I've seen a lot more coho numbers this year and average size is bigger. Sounds like they are doing good this year on the big lake. I'm curious if this will mean a good fall run.

Hey guys any smallie reports to share as I'm coming over to Ashland to fish Chequamegon Bay area June 17th and 18th any pointers as this will be my first trip ever to this fisheries? Spawning? Postspawn? Deep? Shallow? color patterns?

thanks,

MR

Been away a bit here.. Too much fishing I guess.. I will try to be a bit more timely.. Either way, if anyone has any questions on stuff, do give a call or e-mail, I will try to help as best and as much as I can..

Fishing out here as turned to summer patterns now.. From Lake Trout to Bass to Walleyes.. Fish are tuned in and are getting more and more active as the water temps get warmer.

Talked about it a lot in the past in reference to locations and depths for each species and summer fishing. So, a little digging on this post will reveal all that good info. But, in regards to tactics, due keep an open mind about areas to fish relative to temperature and wind action for all species out here on any spot. This also means moving to multiple spots a day to find the most active fish for what you are fishing.

So, here is to a great summer out here on the 'Bay and Islands.. Good luck everyone..

062110bridweb.jpg

062110web.jpg

img1665v.jpg

0604102.jpg

My family and I are heading up from the cities and looking for a 1/2 day of fishing. It would be my 4.5 year old and me. we're not particular about species, just whatever has been biting. We are up there the first week in August, Wed through Sunday and staying at the Inn.

Anyone out there that can give me an idea on price or a referal to reputable charter? We're ok sharing with another group as long as they are "family friendly."

Tried Jim, he was booked. They referred me to Craig at Fishing Allure. Craig showed us a great time and put us on fish. He was also great with the kid. Here's a picture of the first of the day. The little guy brought it in himself and it was in the live well within 45 minutes of us arriving at the landing. full-30925-408-sam_0585.jpg

Hammy.. Wow, great fishing man!! Glad you got hooked up, literally!!! smile

And with that salmon photo, things are heating up with those bad fellas (and gals) up in the shallow water now.. In and around spawning rivers.. Some days you gotta fish 'em deep and some days they are shallow, but they are concentraited around riverine areas. Good times, plus bonus browns, splake, steelies and kings too.

With that, the fall feed binge is just kicking in out here for SmallJaws.. This is the time to come fish these porkers!! Big numbers and big weights.. Can not beat the average size of these fish out here on Chequamegon Bay..

Anyways, just thought I would sneak in here for a quick HEY and see how everyone is doing. Hope a few of you will get to enjoy some Chequamegon Bay fishing this fall!!

Well, despite the wonderful weather mother nature has given us this month of October, our bite is in and still headed into the fall pattern. This means big numbers of SmallMouth and some great near shore trolling for Browns, Splake, Steelhead and some rouge Salmon.

So, inbetween your hunts or fall excursions, put Chequamegon Bay and the Apostle Islands on your bucket list as the fishing is great during the fall.

Oh, and dont forget, ice is right around the corner. Time to book-up your winter get away here to the biggest lake in the world. Nothing like having a shot at catching 10+ species of fish from one single hole!!

Good fishing,

101410web.jpg

101110webb.jpg

Definately feels like fall now!! WOW, cold in the mornings as you are traveling to the fishing hot spot.. Either way, fishing is still happening here and it has been GOOD.. And the pressure is nill due to most folks in hunting mode.. Tis ok for me, as I will be hitting it hard for the duration of what is left of our open water season. Trolling near shore and bassin in the bay.. All of which has been fairly consistant and good when the winds will let ya get out..

Anyone EXCITED for ICE YET? We definately are.. Keep an eye on our HSOforum for when the ice forms and our first adventures of catching some fish through a frozen hole!!

110210web.jpg