• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apostle Islands, Chequamegon Bay Fishing Reports

The ice out around the islands is pretty spotty yet. So i don't think that too many people are venturing out too far yet. I my self haven't been out yet due to the fact that my boy blew up my ice fishin sled a couple of weeks ago. I may be headed out with in a week or so , I will post on how I do.

Jar Jar

I e-mailed outdoor allure asking about the driving conditions on the bay. They advised me against it, but that people have been driving trucks in the ashland/washburn areas up to the pressure ridge. I was under the impression that the bay was similar to an inland lake and that you could drive around most areas, apparently I'm mistaken? Also, how far out is this pressure ridge they speak of? I don't have a wheeler or a sled, so not being able to drive out there would pretty much cancel out my trip eek Any info about the ice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Just talked to a customer in Bayfield and they said the ice road to Madeline Island is closed due to a crack near the mainland. I was thinkin of driving out on the ice raod and fishing this weekend but now I guess that is out of the question. MAN I NEED A SLED!!!

Jar Jar

John, I'm hoping to make it over there for a day trip here soon. It will be easier when the harbor closes here smile I'm sure the guys will want to go after some lakers. Can you borrow one of Joes sleds?

When you going to stop by the rink and watch Ryan and Kobe play a hockey game?

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Ice conditions continue to be very good, with most lakes now having between 18 and 22 inches of solid ice. Light snowfall in last week has added a couple of inches of light fluffy snow to most of our northern lakes, but warmer daytime temperatures has helped compact this down to manageable level. As such, the snow cover has had minimal impact on travel and many two-wheel-drive vehicles are still being seen traversing the lakes. In addition, there have been no reports of any major slush spots and it's generally been a good year to get out and explore new areas or different lakes for fishing. The variable weather conditions of cold nights and mild days has made for another erratic week of fishing in the Northwoods. Panfish success has continued to be the most consistent, with many anglers reporting slow but steady action. No limits - but anglers were getting a meal or two from each trip. Light line and finesse tactics have been the most successful and some decent perch and crappie have been caught. Walleye fishing continued to be very erratic with some days resulting in a catch of 2 or 3 fish, and most other days finding bites very hard to come by! The best success continues to come in the low-light periods and near break lines in 8 to 12 feet of water. Northern pike action could only be termed fair to poor, as the recent increase in snow cover seems to have slowed up pike activity. On many pike lakes in the north, anglers have had to move their baits up a couple feet off the bottom. This is to get above the low oxygen levels that are starting to show up on these generally shallow and weedy lakes

I have gotten little to no responses on the chequamegon bay forum this winter, it's like the dead sea over there frown I remember last year being alot more active in there. I'm wondering if anyone here knows how the ice conditions are over there? I'll be up there for the 1st time next week, and will pretty much be blindfolded as I don't have the first clue as to where to start...just want to know that I can at least be mobile in a vehicle. Thanks for any info.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

I was down there and the Ice out in the inland can not be good. It was not all that great 3 weeks ago. We had 9 inches to 3 inches under 10 feet apart.

When do you suppose will be the last day the ice is fishable in the bay? We usually come up the 2nd weekend of March but can't make it until the 3rd weekend this year. One of the guys is nervous about the potential ice conditions. Pure speculation at this point and the 10 day forecast doesn't look too bad for melting.

We have wheelers and generally fish the river mouths, near town flats and the lighthouse areas.

i was out around the lighthouse area a few weeks ago and it was a solid 18 inches of good ice then,we drove trucks out of kreher park on the west side of the oredock.guys were driving all over just stay out aways from the end of the oredock and dont get very close to the ends of the breakwall it is always bad ice around the ends,there is a pressure ridge that runs out from the lighthouse towards the WNW so watch for that to.good luck...

You should be fine. Usually we are still running machines on the ice until the last week of March at times. And walking out is always an option too, as you can usually get into good fishing fairly close to shore during late ice. But, just keep updated on my HSOforum to ice conditions, etc.

He only gave me ice reports on the interior of the bay, which were about 24 inches. He also told me about a big pressure ridge running from the break wall to the washburn area. Honestly, I don't even know where basswood island is, so I don't know if that info is useful to you at all crazy I'll try to gather as much info as I can while I'm up there and post a detailed report when I get back.

We were out there Sat and yesterday and made it out as far as about halfway between Oak and Hermit. Believe Jim's last report mentioned not going any further and I would recommend that as well.

The road to Madeline has a 'road closed' sign but they must not enforce that!

Fishing wise our group of 4 got 4 lakers and a whitefish on Sat and 2 whitefish yesterday. Pink got every fish.

There was a tourney out there over the weekend, we didn't participate but heard a 2lb perch and 3lb eye took those categories - never did hear what the winning laker was.

I just got back from what was by far the WORST ice fishing trip of my life (weather related)!!! Wednesday we got rained on the entire day, and called it quits by 3 (waaaaay earlier than we would have liked) because we were so soaked. Spent the rest of the day drying everything off. Thursday was worse...we battled 35 to 50 mph winds the entire day. We toughed it out 'til dark, but was still miserable.

Between me and my dad we caught 1 whitefish crazy a 25 incher I landed 10 minutes into the first day. I realize that all the reports I've read/heard suggest the slowest fishing out there in years, and this was the first time I've been to chequamegon, but I'm blaming this one all on the weather. We weren't able to fish the way we wanted, or cover anywhere near the amount of ice we wanted to. It was nice to get a feel for the area and get our feet wet (literally). I intend on coming back (already comtemplating the free weekend in june) someday and giving it a real try.