• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apostle Islands, Chequamegon Bay Fishing Reports

Well the wind from the last big storm knocked out most of the ice remaining the in the islands. Now all we have to contend with is huge rafts of pack ice that have pushed into different bays and such until we can get out into the boats on this end. The bay is still heavily locked in, but the shore ice is starting to break up well.

For landings and such, all were found to be iced in pretty good yet. With a good weeks worth of warm weather, we should see the landings passable for boats, or so I hope.

Launches are still locked in here in Bayfield and Red Cliff... Red Cliff is the closest to being open, but maybe not until next week. Bayfield definately not till next week. And am not sure on Bodin's landing between Washburn and Bayfield.

Not sure on Sand Bay or Corny from the past few days, but am thinking the same from what I seen on Sunday.

Only place to lauch a boat right now that I am sure of, is the Sioux River landing (small boats 14 footer max).

The bay is locked in with ice still to Washburn. Areas around the hot pond are open and along the coal dock to shore cast or wade (Hot Pond).

Dont know about the Ice Breaker or not.. But even so, lots of ice in the bay yet.. Am sure the ice will not leave there by the weekend, but everyday the open water creeps along into the bay itself..

Now if we could just get the landings open where there is open water..

Quick update.. Red Cliff Landing is usable now for boats.. Had to do a bunch of pushing of ice around this morning, but I got it cleared..

Fishing wasnt too fantastic, three fish. Dingy water all throughout the areas I checked and fished today. In pockets of clear water is where I caught fish, all browns. The storm really brewed up the bottom!!!

Bayfield landing was broke open this morning as well, but the ice cakes are still prevelant in the harbor, and launching a boat wouldnt be smart right now.

Good luck this weekend for anyone who is up this way. I'll be back at it next week.

For Sand Bay.. I will check it out tomorrow for you guys.. Usually I dont get up that way often, but am running northbound tomorrow so I will be able to scope it out for you guys..

If you ever need conditions checked there (Sand Bay), dont be afraid to call the National Park Headquarters, they have a ranger station there and am sure they can get you up to date info as well.

For those who have been out, how did ya do? Just got back into town today.. Will be back out the next few days, weather permitting.

Just FYI, the bay itself is still iced over. Another week or so before it is all open down there, the hot pond area is open for small boats and shore fishing for walleyes.

Walleye - Your good to go. A few chunks of ice that can be pushed aside in the harbor. The bay itself is ice free and a beautiful evening it was. Wed. looks like a nice day - I didn't check the wind though. I should have had my boat out there tonight - it looked nice(real, real nice!). Have you fished LSB before? I'd be willing to exchange some info if your interested. I've got to go hunt some antlers before the mice chew them up... Good luck fishing and enjoy.

If you happen to see a green/white 1750 sportfish with full walk thru getting tossed around, say hi if you would. I like meeting people off this site. I don't know how many wisconsin people use it but I know in MN it is huge.. Name is Nate by the way..

The bay ice finally has left with the last winds we had this weekend, where you can get a boat out of Washburn Marina and out of the public landing in Ashland. Unsure about Second Landing though.

For fishing, the near shore trolling is still producing fish, and will do so until we see temps in the high 40's, long ways off yet. Now, you can find browns, splake, coho, etc etc from Ashland all the way to Superior if you wish!!! \:\) Hot, bright colors are the best this year, due to dingy water conditions that are still prevelant.

Walleyes are being caught right now in and around Ashland as well, stick baits either trolled or casted in the shallows is the ticket.

Pike are going to be post spawn now, where dead bait tactics and slow moving plastics will get you bit. Look to areas in front of backwater esturaries and creek mouths for the best action.

Bass season opens next weekend. With that, comes an important rule change for the early catch and release season. No live bait can be used and all artificials must be barbless. This law comes from a legislator (Dan Meyer) that pushed this bill, that also included the early catch and release season for musky, into the last budget process. Just be aware of this for those who come and enjoy pre-spawn and spawn fishing for bass.

texandpete042908ly7.jpg

042808mediumwebviewjp3.jpg