• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Apostle Islands, Chequamegon Bay Fishing Reports

Hit the islands this weekend for one last blast. Saturday fished by NE side of Hermit. Fishing was horrible with only a couple bumps, not even a fish for the old fish slayer we go with, which hasn't happened for a long time. Sunday we ventured between Stockton and Catt. Plenty of ice out there, with 15-18", but it was poppin good. We watched ridges out further rise into the horizon throughout the day. Large ridges also popped up between Stockton and Manitou, one off the east side of Stockton, and a big one running north from Stockton to Manitou. Also a new one from the north side of Hermit to Oak. Fishing was much better Sunday, with action all day. We fished in 190FOW. I landed one fish and lost 5 on the way up, 2 of which were pretty heavy fish. Also had at least a dozen other strikes, with one that caught me off guard and nearly pulled the hoop to the hole. Also saw a giant school of whitefish. Funny to watch them chase a big beetle.

Went out off the Souix in the morning and only marked one fish for three hours so we packed up and went off the ice road ( about 1\4 mile north. The action was better there with me losing ( yes, losing cry.gif) 5 fish. Three at the hole and 2 half way up. I have never been so frustrated my whole life! we also had multiple hits without hook-ups.

Might try again this Saturday.

Jar Jar

Originally Posted By: JAR JAR
The action was better there with me losing ( yes, losing cry.gif) 5 fish. Three at the hole and 2 half way up. I have never been so frustrated my whole life!

Jar Jar

Right there with ya, man. Good thing there was noone within miles of us, and even then i bet they heard my fountain of obscenities. mad.gif

ill be out on the bay this week trying to catch a variety of species. some friends and i are heading up on wednesday and staying in washburn until friday. this will be our first time ice fishing on the bay and we are getting a guide on thursday. hopefully the fish will cooperate, ill be sure to report back.

Hey gang, been outta the area for the past few days... Perchin it up on Mille Lacs for my On Ice Clinic.. Good times over there, with lots of fish caught...

But, on to the big Gitch once again... Fishing still remains spotty, but to me, we are behind the late ice bite from that past few years, by at least a week.. So with this week showing temps above freezing all throughout, things should kick into high gear here quickly..

Lake Trout people.. We still have ice.. How long, well I will say we should be safe for this weekend and into next week sometime. But things always can change quickly.. Watch out for heaves right now, as they are pulling apart and pushing up daily. Some dandies out near Stockton. Fishing remains spotty, but last week I heard of some big fish being iced and some good reports. So hopefully the best is yet to come.. But as always, becareful out there. I should add, extra careful now!!! Check the ice religiously... Deep is still the best bet.. 180' or deeper, 220 to 250 is even better.

Shallow water is starting to heat up again too. Mainly around river mouths.. From Ashland to Bayfield, 2 to 10 FOW is best, and in the current flows.. Spawn, waxies, and minnows at times will get you bit.. Steelies, coho, splake, browns, and an occasional brookie all can be had and action can be fast and furious.

In the bay itself, fishing is still spotty.. But as this week wears on and into next week the fishes should start popping.. From shallow water near the Kakagon and over to Ashland and up to Washburn... Walleyes will be pushing shallow along with pike and perch too, getting ready to spawn. Some trout will still be found out in the mud near the lighthouse, but a lot will come shallow too.

Accesses are getting a bit sloppy and so is the ice around Ashland. Becareful accessing the lake anywhere right now. My vote is to stay on shore and travel with a machine.

John, give me a call if your going to go fishing some where this weekend. I'm kinda sick of staring down a hole without any fish in it \:\) but I really can't think of anything else to do lol.

Jim, let me know if you still want to get rid of that pro. If I would of had a truck with me today and not a little car I would of bought a voyager at cabelas from the cave \:\)

just got home from a few really tough days on chequamegon. myself and four other friends arrived on wednesday and fished all day in front of the river mouths. we tried all different depths and methods and didnt catch a single fish all day. the next day we got up early and went out with a guide around the islands for lake trout. our guide caught one small laker early and my friend caught one decent laker (26") early in the afternoon, but that was it. we marked fish, but couldnt get them to bite. on friday we fished out in front of a river mouth with a worker from the bait shop and didnt mangage a single bite. really tough week and very discouraging for my first ice fishing trip on chequamegon. i guess thats why they call it fishing and not catching.

Been awhile here.. But here is a recent update... Things are starting to move around a bit out into the islands.. Been losing some ice here and there over the past week. But, there is still some fishable ice for bobbers.. Soon though this ice will be gone, the winds have been non-stop and this will move ice tremendously, especially around cracks. For myself, I had my last bobbing day and am on to other species now. Becareful out there and watch ice conditions religously!!!

The bay itself, the ice is still holding up well.. But, like everywhere, the landings are getting beat up a bit. I only would recommend ATV or sled travel now.

For fishing.. things are starting to heat up a bit now.. All fish species, from deeper water to shallow water have seemed to waken up a bit now. But, the best bite is still to come and it looks like we will have ice until at least the first week or two into April in the bay itself.

Heres some recent client photos from the past month...

fishingmarch010bn8.jpg

fishingmarch046bq8.jpg

kerryautomatic032508ae6.jpg

kerryandron032408xz2.jpg

stevehuber032508ai4.jpg

mike031308ii1.jpg

Forget the perch. Steel, baby, Steel!!!!!

That first one is one skinny buck. And i'm surprised that the fish this early and in the lake have that much color.

Jim, do you catch many that have much color to them, or are the majority chromeos?

Jim thanks for your help this weekend. The guys that fished the river mouths didnt do much at all. The guys who stayed out by the south channel lost a laker and caught white fish and herring.

I hit basswood and landed 5 lakers with all but 1 being overs. 1 Nice one about 10#. Spoons out produce anything else but 1 big one came on a bucktail with a 6" silver paddle tail on it.

Wind was nasty but temps werent too bad. Pressure ridge is getting bad out that way so be very careful crossing guys.

Looks like you guys had fun.

Originally Posted By: Northlander
So are the trout beeds just another thing to catch fishermen or do they really work. Whats the difference between them and the beeds I use to tie my spinners with?

I don't know a ton about them, but i think they are larger beads and they are pegged up the leader. Sounds like a lining thing to me, but tons of guys swear by them in other areas of the country.

Ice conditions are changing daily... Bayfield into the islands is done for ice... And now everywhere else, everyone needs to use extreme caution!!! Still lots of good ice to be had and the fishing has been good to fair on about all species of fish..

Stay away from anything sticking into the lake or up from the lake.. Docks, bouys, pilings, etc etc.. Also, underwater points, especially the shallow ones are dangerous right now too.

Another week of on the ice fishing in the bay itself, maybe a bit more with ice out in May. Here near Bayfield, the Ferry broke up its approach yesterday and a gill net tug tried to break ice out to the south channel today. I am thinking ice out of Bayfield in a week and a half to two weeks yet.

Ice around Bayfield to Houghton Point is a no go anymore.. Open water can be seen now.. Still at least a week or more away for all the ice to be gone in these areas though... Winds are pushing ice around good right now and hopefully it will be gone after this big storm and high winds. Still ice into the islands as well, mainly all in the interior islands. But that should be gone soon too.

For the bay.. I believe the ice is going to be there for another 2 weeks or so.. It held up after the rain, but accessing the ice is the problem. I've called it quits for this year on the bay itself.