• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Great French Toast?

Chef, we tried the sour cream method this morning and that rocks. I'll never use milk again for french toast. Good stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Sweet! Glad you liked it!

Have a great day...

Does anyone have a recipe for stuffed french toast? Like apple or raspberry? I had some raspberry fritter toast for breakfast this morning and it was AWESOME!!

Look in the Joy of Cooking. There is a recipe for stuffed French Toast. They cook it on the griddle to start with, but finish it in the oven so it is cooked through. Sounded good.

I am going to have to get ahold of some of that fritter bread, sounds great. I made french toast yesterday, 2 eggs, a little milk, a splash of vanilla, and then a quarter cup of bailey's irish cream liqueur. It was really good!

There is also a casserole cookbook out there called "The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever"; this has a ton of French Toast Recipes in it that are similar to what fishinchicks posted above. I've made quite a few of them and I've like them all. I rented the book from the library and made copies of the recipes I liked. There are also a lot of great recipes for wild game in this cookbook.

Alright I never give this out, but my secret to awesome french toast is using the eggs with no pulp OJ mixed in instead of milk. It doesn't take a lot of OJ either but I don't have an exact amount so you'll have to experiment. Gives it a nice fresh taste. I always make it with Texas Toast and fry it on pretty low heat so as not to burn the outside before the middel is done. When its done I sprinkle it lightly with cinnamon sugar. It is to die for...

dont know if anyone mentioned yet, but the key to french toast is to let the bread sit out over night and dry out, this will allow the bread to absorb more of the mixture all the way through..... you also have to try crushing captain crunch up and "breading" the toast before cooking....ripped that off from triple d.

The casserole-style french toast is great. You can probably find many good recipes on the internet.

For traditional french toast, when it is all cooked up, I put on each piece butter, crunchy peanut butter, then syrup. It is very good!

I started using whole grain and wheat breads,12 grain,honey wheat or swedish wheat when you can find it.We always seem to have apples that need to be used so I cook them with sugar,cinnamon and corn starch to thicken for topping and sprinkle with shredded cheese.When I can get to Trader Joes I pick up a few jars of their pumpkin butter(it is awesome) and add a very little bit of ginger and nutmeg to the egg mix.

I also like to mess around and make savory type french toasts.try 12 grain bread,with Mrs Dash garlic & herb,butter milk or sour cream and egg mix,fry in pan,top it off with fresh baby spinach,a fried or poached(seasoned with lemon pepper) fish fillet,grated parmesean cheese and finish off in the oven.For lunch or supper substitute a pita for the french toast,and call it crappie pizza!(My favorite fish house food)

Also french toast eggs benedict.Try look up Food gawker,there are pages and pages of food blogs.Use their search engine for french toast/ breakfast

Just tried the Carmel French Toast and it was good but I don't know if I would make it again. It was just too over the top, sweet, sticky, gooey, again, it was good but if you divide by six the ingredients you put into that bad boy it is a diabetic's nightmare and a dentist's dream dish! LOL