• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What's the low down on the Budweiser fish tagging sweepstakes?

Jim W

I heard a rumor that Budweiser was planning on taggin a prescribed amount of fish, placing them in various waters, with one "Big Jake" worth a cool "mill'" to whom ever catches it?

Is this rumor? Does anyone know anymore about this?

If it's rumor it will be laid to rest.

Jim W

JimW, Checkout the startrib's HSOforum. It is pretty vague, but it says they have released 40 tagged fish into 40 body's of water. 39 of them are worth $1,000 and 1 of them "Big Jake" is worth "One Millllllion Dollars". It doesn't say anything about what states they released the fish into though. Sure would be nice to find "Big Jake" this weekend! Guess I'd settle for a few of his cousins though smile.gif

Even if it was on a slot protected fish, I think I wouldn't mind paying the fine if I caught the big bucks fish.

smile.gif

Captainjosh,

I'd say vague!! That is the story I heard as well. Just to say they are dumping in 40 fish somewhere isn't going to get too many pumped up if you ask me!

It would be nice to know what species they are at least! So when your out fishing you have not only numbers/size to look for ,but the possibility of "Jake"!

Maybe it's Jake the Jack????? A big ole' Northern pike?

Heck, they could have tagged a bunch of carp and released them all one in a different state. WHat would be the chance of someone catching one of them??

I guess I need more info before I go anywhere with this!!

Jim W

Thanks Paul!

It amazes me that they wouldn't consider the best fishing state in the UNION for the little contest!!!!
I guess they figure it wouldn't last long up here, considering all of the great fisherman!!

Thanks again Paul for the quick information!

Jim W

I want to see the poor fool looking for that 1 yellow perch on Lake Erie...I think it's a pretty safe bet to say that it isn't going to be caught. I'm really suprised that they left Minnesota lakes out of the contest. Then again, maybe thats a good thing. Less Largemouth Bass fishermen on the lake, the better.

This is the STUPIDIST contest I've ever heard about.... you know if anyones gonna catch it, its gonna be the brother-in-law of the guy who came up w/ this idea. But thats sayin someone WILL catch the darn thing.. most likely the darn things will be so messed up from being tagged, they're all probably dead already.

I just took a peek at the rules - the contest
runs 5-4 thru 6-4-02. The million bucks is
payable over 20 years as an annuity.

They didn't only leave us (MN) out - heck -
the Busch folks left out their own home
state of MO. There is a heap of decent fishing water down there.

For all the trouble and promotional costs, you'd have figured they would have 1 one fish in every state. The odds of any of these fish
getting caught slim.

My $.02.

UG

Should have thought of this before I hit SEND
on my previous post.

Take a look at the distribution of the fish -

States w/ 1:

AL, AR, CT, DE, GA, IA, IN, KS, KY, LA, NM,
NV, OK, VT, WI

States w/ 2:
AZ, FL, ID, IL, MD, OH

States w/ 3:
MI, NC TN

States w/ 4:
TX

Wonder if these states are where Busch sells
the most beer?

UG

How long has this kind of thing been going on? It would be a great idea if they set it up a little better. The odds of anyone catching ONE of those fish in a months time is pretty slim. The only other thing that I have ever heard similar to this was a walleye contest held at the little lake in downtown saint cloud. Lake george is probably only 2 acres. They put one ten pound walleye in the lake and had a big prize for whoever caught it. I think they held it in the 30's. Anyway, nobody ever caught it. Even though they had everybody in town standing around the lake fishing.

What are the chances of that yellow pearch in lake erie being eaten by a walleye or pike? Better than catching that thing i'll tell you that!! A guy would have a slim chance catching one of those fish even if you put all 40 of them in a lake the size of lets say medicine lake in a months time!!

I read about the Big Jake contest, but where does it say that one of these fish are not in MN? You guys say that we have to go out of state for this? All I saw was that the only exempt state was California.....
I can't find any other details.

I was a bit upset too. Now having time to think about it, I have changed my mind. Could you imagine the amount of pressure a lake would have recieved above and beyond it's norm if there was a money fish in there?? Especially say Mille Lacs? I actually think the Minnesota DNR had a lot to say about why we weren't chosen. Smart move.