• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Posession?

SuddenlySummer

No, not as long as you can prove you purchased them from a store. The store is also responsible for making sure they came from a licensed packer(Commercial Fishery)ScottS

Target walleye?

Is that like Pamida Panfish or Kmart crappie or maybe CostCutters catfish?

Did you know that fishmongers could call fish whatever they want legally?

Odds are very good they are something-called walleye, but not walleye. Kinda-sorta like chicken nuggets.

wink.gif

Just to RANT a bit, I refuse to buy ANY gamefish from any store or market.

WHY?

Well if you eliminate the demand, you will eventually eliminate the @%^%# nets on lakes and rivers.

But, hey eh, that’s just me.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

According to Sea Grant (Ohio State Univ campus institute) there are 19 different species of fish that appear on restaurant menus and in markets by the name of perch.

FDA guidelines are pretty broad when it comes to fish labelling. I've had restaurant "walleye" (most often listed as "walleyed pike") that did not even have the correct shape to be walleye. When depth is close to half the length, it ain't no walleye.

I checked your profile and you list your address as Minnetonka,Mn.
You better read the Minnesota Fishing Laws a little better!
The posession and daily limit for walleyes is 6 fish per lic. family member or family member under 16 years of age.
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

I have read my Minnesota Law Book.

So with that being said, what if I go to Rainy Lake, (other then Black Bay), take my limit of 30 Crappies, and go home. How do I prove I was on Rainy Lake?

My real point here is we can think of a whole bunch of b.s, start a bunch of politics, have this thred run 200 posts, and still be no further then we are now. Infact, we could probably confuse a bunch of people.

Let the "What if's" go, and go fishing.

just my 2 pennies.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 05-07-2002).]

Hi Pro Crappie Guide, I used to live in
Aitkin (long ago). I agree these posts
can lead to long threads.

I have been corrected on things I thought
to be true my whole life, thanks to internet
fishing boards. I have also read lots of
misinformation someone claims to be gospel.

What do you do? Let the misinfo live on or
offer a correction.?

Scott S you are absolutely correct regarding
store bought fish. They are usually packed
in something other than a ziploc, but right
is right.

This will pop up again and again and for
this time, take it or leave it...Possession
limit and daily limit are the same in
Minnesota.

Better to find out hear than have a game
warden explain it to you in your cabin.

Curt Quesnell

Hey Cliffie, take a pill. Nobody practices catch and release more than I do. I can't remember the last time I kept a walleye. Some of you people are just a bit too intense.

My question had to do with not wanting to break the law so chill.

Actually Pro Crappie Guide when regional possession limits vary it is the license holders’ responsibility to gain a transportation and storage permit from a DNR or other game official.

It may also apply when transporting game from state to state some require transport documentation.

That way you have nothing to worry about.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

So what constitutes travel documentation?

I assume it's more than a note from my mom. grin.gif

"I'm not a liscensed fish packer. But I play one on T.V."

SuddenlySummer....I think Scott S has the best answer...just save the receipt. It's an important issue to consider. Anyone have a pack of mystery meat in the freezer from last season? Some folks forget about the possession limit. We checked in to putting together a freshwater aquarium at the store...to stock it with a few bass and small northerns...kind of an attractant. In addition to the special permits to put it together, the fish in the tank would count toward possession limit. Good for all of us to keep it in mind!

Extension of the question: Does the mounted trophy count toward possession?
Discuss....
smile.gif

------------------
Northeast Outfitters
915 Hwy 29 N NE
Alexandria, MN 56308
(320) 763-9598

I highly doubt that store bought carp... passed off as walleye are going to count as part of your possession limit. And for that matter... why would the DNR be coming and looking in your freezer? They don't just bust through your door to check for 7 walleye/carp from the grocery store.

I've got a better solution to all of this... Go out and CATCH some real bonafide walleye.

GOOD LUCK!!!! smile.gif
Rusty

A little common sense can go a long way in these cases. If you are unsure, ask "your" CO. He/she is most likely the one who will be checking you.

And, again, fish bought at a store do not count towards your possession limit if you have proof they were bought from a store. That store is resposible for making sure they are from a licensed packer.ScottS

I think Rusty has a point. The dnr doesn't often knock on doors checking for possession violations. In the case of gross daily bag limit violations they go to the home of the poacher and check for more, maybe. But on the norm if you have it at home it's safe. Alot of people know that and take advantage.The possession law is an honor system for the most part. Like most laws those that don't think they apply to them don't care.I think most of us do.
Have fish for dinner and you won't have so many in your freezer.
Good fishing

Soooo, can we say end of story? Has the question been answered more than once again?
Geeee, I wonder if the walleye digesting in my stomach from my shore lunch will prohibit me from catching and keeping a limit of walleye? On and on and on!