• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

OnAFly - your fish is a Silver Redhorse. Greaters have bright red or orange tail fins. The big ID split in MN redhorse is Red/Orange tail vs. Grey/peach tail

Red Tail: Shorthead, River, Greater

Grey Tail: Golden, Silver, Black

Silvers are fun, they get big and pull pretty well. Greaters usually throw some awesome jumps at you. Rivers just straight tear you up, definitely the strongest of the MN horses.

I'm thinking I'll have to keep one of those smaller ones for cutbait next time. I tried catting a couple times last year, but wasn't so successful. I might have to give it another go this year.

We were using 3" Power bait Ripple shads on 1/4oz VMC Neon Moon Eye jigs. We would pump the rod tip (superbraid line) fast enough to feel the tail thump, quickly reel in the slack and repeat. There was a lot of small Bullheads around 2-3" long so it was a matter of match the hatch.

While out walleye fishing on the upper Croix today I got into a RIVER MONSTER laugh

It was the biggest fish of my life! Took a long time to land on 6 pound test with mulitple airborne leaps. I was about ready to give up, but she finally got close enough to grab.

57" inches and I'm not sure of what it weighed. Felt heavier than a 50 pound bag of dog food grin

What a blast! She swam away with a splash.

P1060353.jpg

P1060401.jpg

Hit up the Rainy last weekend for the first time ever. It's safe to say that I will be going back. I'm addicted... First sturgeon of my life, as well as the biggest fish of my life--fresh or saltwater. He went 57", I know there's a lot bigger ones swimming around in there, hence the reason I'll be going back as soon as I can.

IMG_20130927_122752_zps43a29094.jpg

Took the weekend off from steelheading and ventured down to a local spot to hunt some dogfish. Brought the steelhead flies though because... well why not.

PA053701_zps820c360a.jpg

Caught a few of these, plus some bullheads and a northern. Took this fly a bit deep so didn't get the "Hilton in the Jaw" photo I wanted. Still, fun time.

PA051350_zps1a7182a8.jpg

Typically... heh that's a good question smile I try to find em more in the spring after the runoff, not usually one to hunt em in the fall. That said: All of the ones I've been catching recently have been in bodies of water with current, though the doggies are hangin in the areas of slack water.

The one I took the pic of was in the headwaters of a creek here in the metro, sittin under some tree roots. His spot is actually a really nice ambush spot as the current flows right near the edge of said roots.

They're pretty aggressive now though, he slammed the fly as soon as it swung across the roots.

That spot, if it's the spot I'm thinking of, is a deeper pool below a bridge with shallow water around it. The doggies are up in the shallows last I saw chasing bullheads or sunnies...I think.

Yep, there are a bunch of doggies in the shallows hittin bullheads, though I haven't been able to get any of those ones to commit to anything (I haven't seen any of the 'regulars' catchin any of those dogs either). Honestly I was surprised there's enough current going through the area north/east of that little "island" to allow for 'swinging flies'