• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Carp and other Rough fish pics

HotPocket

I caught my first shovelnose sturgeon in the Minnesota River while fishing for cats with a friend of mine. At 27 1/2 inches, this thing gave my river rod a good bend before giving it a sweeping hookset, and was safely released. I've never caught one of these fish before, and it was a real treat. One of the most amazing fish I've ever caught, and it felt good throwing him back so he can become a lunker in about a few years.

20140723_092849_zpsc656ff72.jpg

it's only missing one eye, right?

I'm always amazed at how wildlife can survive injuries that one would think would put them at a disadvantage so bad that they wouldn't make it as far as getting enough food

I just shot a one-eyed carp with my speargun a couple weeks ago and felt bad for shooting a survivor- of course the side facing me was the one with the eye missing but I didn't notice till I brought him in

awesome!

looks like that bad boy mirror carp was getting plenty to eat all winter!

While I'm here, I just saw something very interesting today- I tossed a 35-inch carp I spearfished last summer in Tonka into a field and no critters ate him, just the maggots- so I was looking at the bones today, and inside the rib cage was nice pile of crushed zebra mussel shells!

whether he was eating that many in a day and expelling the shells on a regular basis, or if they were simply stuck in his gut from occasionally eating them I don't know

I'll be checking stomach contents this spring to see if that's a regular deal for big carp

Stick, that's interesting for sure. How long have the zebras been in tonka?

my diving buddy was actually the person who discovered them by the Grey's Bay bridge in summer 2010- I remember seeing it on the news that a diver found them- I didn't know him at the time and he later told me he was the one!

I just bought a cold-water wetsuit so hopefully I'll be in the water there by the end of the month- I can handle (hopefully!) 50-degree water

it's interesting to see how the amount of weeds and zebras change from year to year in certain places, as well as the fish populations

so where are you finding the suckers- main channel, backwaters, creek mouths? I absolutely love catching them on ultra-lites- really cool fish- gonna have some free time in the next few weeks

I finally started out my fishing year with a lunker of a dogfish. A 28 inch female doggie. I was bottom fishing with a night crawler for cats and other bottom feeders, when I saw a hard jerk on my rod, and started feeling a ton of resistance from the fish. At first, I thought it was a carp or a huge channel/flathead cat, but after seeing the beautiful rippling dorsal fin, my whole body started shaking. My first river-caught dogfish, and what a beauty! I'll never get sick of these fish!

20150429_144106_zpstnt625oy.jpg

beautiful fish esp in the spring when they get their spawning colors

i dunno why some peeps dont like them, cz they put up a great fight and are cool looking

pound for pound they may be one of the hardest fighting fish

actually in a way i do know why, they ruin bass baits lol

ive had to retire many brand spanking top water frogs, spinner baits, buzz baits.... lol